Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Mythbusters: Shit happens - Confirmed  (Read 7851 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Mythbusters: Shit happens - Confirmed
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »

"Next week on Mythbusters, we'll calculate the odds that we could have obliterated between 2 and 10 children with a cannon ball!"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/06/BA1D1M99V5.DTL

DUBLIN -- One of the zany experiments staged by the "Mythbusters" television show nearly turned into a suburban tragedy Tuesday afternoon in Dublin when the crew fired a homemade cannon toward huge containers of water at the Alameda County Sheriff's Department bomb disposal range.

The cantaloupe-sized cannonball missed the water, tore through a cinder-block wall, skipped off a hillside and flew some 700 yards east, right into the Tassajara Creek neighborhood, where children were returning home from school at 4:15 p.m., authorities said.

I'm glad no one was killed or even injured. Say what you will about the show, they're nice guys and no one would want that on their conscience.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Mythbusters: Shit happens - Confirmed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

"Ugh, I got fired, my wife left me, and it's going to rain. Well, it can't get any worse than thi-"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:00 pm »

Damn.

That's both awesome and unfortunate.

Seriously though; tore through their barrier, flew 700 yards, through a house and into a truck before stopping? Overkill much?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:00:16 pm »

Ahh, at least the cannonball didn't hit anybody.  This is why experiments must be controlled!  Make doubly sure next time.

Oh man what if a cannonball flew through my room, that would be amazing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:38 pm »

MythBusters: Ruining property values for science.

Quote from: Werner von Braun
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

But yeah really, what the heck happened with that cannonball?  Surely they'll mention it on the episode.  Waitaminute.

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

The ball wasn't done bouncing.

It exited the house, leaving a perfectly round hole in the stucco, crossed six-lane Tassajara Road, took out several tiles from the roof of a home on Bellevue Circle and finally slammed into the Gill family's beige Toyota Sienna minivan in a driveway on Springvale Drive.

Man, fuck whatever experiment they were working on, they've found a cannonball made of flubber.  The damn thing went on a rampage.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:19:41 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:27:08 pm »

It's not that surprising actually. Those things are essentially giant high velocity ball bearings, originally designed to bounce and roll through ranks of massed infantry.

What's surprising is the charge they used, at least I would think so. How far, ideally, was that cannon ball supposed to go? Because after hitting that water tower, I don't know it would have slowed down that much. People are also questioning why the cannon wasn't pointed at that huge expanse of nothing to the NW.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:29:06 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:45:39 pm »

According to the San Jose Mercury News, the owner of the minivan was in it 5 minutes earlier with his kids. Oh man if he had stayed in there longer...
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:54:33 pm »

What's surprising is the charge they used, at least I would think so. How far, ideally, was that cannon ball supposed to go? Because after hitting that water tower, I don't know it would have slowed down that much. People are also questioning why the cannon wasn't pointed at that huge expanse of nothing to the NW.
Presumably there is a pretty hefty hill in that general direction that would absorb most blasts which would be done on that range.

Although I can't confirm anything.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.
The ball wasn't done bouncing.
It exited the house, leaving a perfectly round hole in the stucco, crossed six-lane Tassajara Road, took out several tiles from the roof of a home on Bellevue Circle and finally slammed into the Gill family's beige Toyota Sienna minivan in a driveway on Springvale Drive.
Man, fuck whatever experiment they were working on, they've found a cannonball made of flubber.  The damn thing went on a rampage.
Holy shit that's amazing.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:54 pm »

What the hell, that thing played pinball with a suburb.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »

Sounds to me that the neighborhood got themselves one hell of a souvenir to be autographed and put on display. That, or sold for a fortune.

Must've tried to see if they could fire a cannonball with AMFO charges.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:18:55 pm by Itnetlolor »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 10:32:43 pm »

I would have thought a bomb disposal range would have stronger walls  ???

What's surprising is the charge they used, at least I would think so. How far, ideally, was that cannon ball supposed to go? Because after hitting that water tower, I don't know it would have slowed down that much.
I am just guessing, but the article implied they were trying to shoot it into a row of very large water containers to see how far it would travel through water.

An "X" marks the spot where Jasvir Gill's van was struck when the "Mythbusters" TV show accidentally shot a cannonball through a house in Dublin, CA Tuesday December 6th, 2011.
For a moment I read that as "where Jasvir Gill's van was struck down". Too many DF combat reports for me.
Soaplent green is goblins!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »

I am just guessing, but the article implied they were trying to shoot it into a row of very large water containers to see how far it would travel through water.

Which means they didn't really have a practical idea of how far it would travel....especially when it missed the target completely.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »

Generally they don't have walls, just fences to keep people out. Their 'walls' are surrounding hills as the site is situated in a small gully.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:52 pm »

Generally they don't have walls, just fences to keep people out. Their 'walls' are surrounding hills as the site is situated in a small gully.
So the cannonball bounced/rolled up a half a mile of dirt hill? That would seem strange, but I don't actually know that much about cannonballs.
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6