Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Mythbusters: Shit happens - Confirmed  (Read 7836 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Mythbusters: Shit happens - Confirmed
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 11:10:56 am »

And not just asleep, sleeping so hard that they MISSED A FUCKING CANNONBALL BLASTING THROUGH THEIR HOUSE. How is that even possible?

Anyways, relieved to hear that nobody was hurt. With all the crazy things that Mythbusters do, something was bound to go wrong eventually, so it's good that only material damage happened when it did. Definitely a dark spot on the otherwise awesome background of the show, but i'm hoping they won't let this episode get too much in the way. More safety precautions, obviously, but it'd be a damn shame if they stopped entirely.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 11:18:39 am »

Oh how I love beautiful science.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 11:19:48 am »

What I want to know is why an entire family of three was fast asleep at 4:15 pm.
nap time.

To paraphrase one of the slashdot posts: This is a story about a handmade cannon firing a 6 inch steel ball that slammed through a concrete barrier, bounced over a hill, flew a half mile, hit a house, bounced up a flight of stairs, tore through the wall, bounced off the tile roof of another house, across a 6 lane road and came to rest after smashing through a van... And the part that you find unbelievable is a family taking a nap at 4:15 in the afternoon?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 11:43:42 am »

Yes. It lies entirely within the bounds of physics. (no sarcasm intended)
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 11:45:23 am »

I imagine the small scale test only went half way to the moon >_>

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:40 am »

If I were that family, I'd have the section of the door with the hole in it removed and framed, because damn but that would be a cool thing to have.

"Oh, what's that, Joe?"

"Nothing much, just from where A FUCKING 30 POUND STEEL CANNONBALL BOUNCED THROUGH MY HOUSE! Now what was that about wanting to show me your vacation photos?"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 01:46:16 pm »

What the Mythbusters the very same people who hate science and ruin their own experiments and fudge results... DIDN'T use enough precautions?

Wow... I am so surpised... My expression on my face says it all -_-

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 01:52:43 pm »

What the Mythbusters the very same people who hate science and ruin their own experiments and fudge results... DIDN'T use enough precautions?

Wow... I am so surpised... My expression on my face says it all -_-

Speaks the resident cannonologist. :]

Haha, but sarcasm aside, I think this is a very awesome story. I love those guys, they're some of the most fun scientists I've seen on television.

I'd be stoked if this happened to my house, but that's just me. Who gets a chance to be killed by a cannon in this day & age?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »

... Hate science? I admit to not following the show particularly closely, but that seems like a claim that would be difficult to support. I agree that they don't practice particularly good science on the show and are prone to going with their gut more than anything else, but "Fails to meet scientific standards" is a pretty far cry from "Hates science".

And pretty unrelated to safety concerns, given that one is about rigorous testing that won't attract many viewers and the other is about making sure you still have a cast and don't have lawsuits. As I recall, they've got a pretty good track record for safety, particularly given the frequency of explosions on the show.

I mean, really, lets not be dicks here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 02:59:22 pm »

It's okay. Even Superman is a dick sometimes.

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »

On Mythbysters as science, I generally agree with XKCD's stance:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »

I'll take back their loathe of science.

Though it is still annoying when they intentionally fudge results.

Or when they fail to explain the very simple mechanisms of why an experiement was true or false...

Though if I equate intentionally breaking their own experiements and intentionally reinterpreting the results of their experiements to fit their views as a "hatred of science" then...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:51:50 pm by Neonivek »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 04:04:29 pm »

Though it is still annoying when they intentionally fudge results.

Hmm... Got any good examples of that?

I'm not saying you're nuts but I actually don't think I remember a time when they gave bad results for any reason except evident laziness/deadlines.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »

And lets be honest, that still puts them several steps above fudging by mainstream scientists (where its estimated roughly 25% of published reports in some fields have intentionally fudged and distorted elements).

The only real problem with what they do is that none of it is peer reviewed, really. :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2011, 04:13:01 pm »

The only fudging that I notice is when they go all "lets see what happens if we use more explosives", and that's when they already came to a conclusion to a myth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6