Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: For Your Consideration  (Read 4192 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: For Your Consideration
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 09:31:57 pm »

What was the point of this rather inaccurate thought experiment?

Make you feel bad about eating meat.

As for myself, I am not an autotroph and a Blue cannot live on greens alone.  Or any other color I guess.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:33:57 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 09:33:47 pm »

It seems to include eating plants with 'you should feel bad'. Which really takes away any feelings it might have had and moves it into the realm of the stupid.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 09:36:26 pm »

I feel for the plight of the poor, defenseless Yellows. Which is why I have made the choice to only consume the flesh of the murderous Reds and Greens.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »

One thing that got me was that if the Yellows are plants, and are willing to share what they grow with others, then surely they're just letting themselves be eaten? What can a plant grow but itself? And if the Yellows are plants, the Green tried can't provide for themselves without killing and eating them, because that's their source of food, there isn't any other. Same with the Reds. They're built to eat those food sources, it's not some sort of concious decision to be a dick. And to a lesser extent the only reason Blues eat Reds, Greens and Yellows is because their bodies are set up to required the nutritional value provided by all of them and only due to modern medicine with things like iron tablets can we live on Yellows alone without hobbling ourselves.

And that's another thing, even if we swear off Reds and Greens, we still have to eat Yellows to survive. Screw this "the Yellows are willing to share" nonsense, if they're willing to share, they're plants, and we'd be eating them anyway. This was a very, very poorly thought out analogy/joke.

Beyond that, if you want me to feel bad, make them less tasty.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:45:51 pm by Jackrabbit »

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 09:45:15 pm »

One thing that got me was that if the Yellows are plants, and are willing to share what they grow with others, then surely they're just letting themselves be eaten? What can a plant grow but itself?

True. It should be mentioned that the food the Yellows grow for themselves (dirt) is unwholesome and often outright poisonous to the other tribes.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »

Plant "food" is probably analogously closer to CO2 than dirt. Some important nutrients come from the soil, but the main building blocks are carbon (from the air) and sunlight to power it.

CO2 comes from the other "tribes", from decaying plants, from volcanoes, and a bunch of other stuff.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »

Excess CO2 is poisonous to humans and animals. It translates into this: The Yellows are more than willing to share their food, but none of the other tribes can eat it without dying.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:22:50 pm by Impending Doom »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:10 pm »

There is an error in there anyway - Reds do not directly eat Yellows. Only Blues (not just humans - all omnivores) and Greens directly eat Yellows.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 10:45:17 pm »

On this planet, we all have to eat each other to live. That's how our bodies are created. Circle of life and all that.

However, the methods and attitudes surrounding this necessary process are definitely something that can be improved. Just because we all have to devour one another to survive, doesn't mean we have to be dicks about it. And every time I hear about it being OK to kill and eat another creature and not give damn solely because we're a "superior species", I get a little closer to grinding the next person's face into the concrete.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:21 pm »

If we are going to mentally anthropomorphize things without brains or other means of having a mind, why not extend it a bit further?
For instance, what about all those cold viruses people ruthlessly try to exterminate for causing you minor inconvenience?
Soaplent green is goblins!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:52 pm »

I'm not totally joking when I say we need to invent star trek replicators. Meat's tasty but I'd prefer it not to have a side of pain and fear..

Isn't there some promising research going on about growing it? That'd be pretty acceptable.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 10:53:30 pm »

If we are going to mentally anthropomorphize things without brains or other means of having a mind, why not extend it a bit further?
For instance, what about all those cold viruses people ruthlessly try to exterminate for causing you minor inconvenience?

Antibiotics are weapons of mass destruction.

Oh, and why doesn't anyone care about the rights of the mosquitos? Won't a single one of you have the decency to let them survive and grow instead of murdering them by the score every summer?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:47 pm »

...The magic of Nature friends, the magic of nature.
The entire ecosystem was designed around eating crap, and we're omnivores. It's what we were designed for. I have no qualms about being fully omnivorous. Om nom nom tasty plants and meat.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 11:25:50 pm »

What was the point of this rather inaccurate thought experiment?
To mess with people's heads.

E: Case in point:
I feel for the plight of the poor, defenseless Yellows. Which is why I have made the choice to only consume the flesh of the murderous Reds and Greens.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:29:17 pm by Grek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:02 pm »

The only way this is messing with my head is with my previous notion that you were intelligent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3