Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OH SHI~ moments?  (Read 2012 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: OH SHI~ moments?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 04:00:32 am »

Hmm...lets see, back to my earlier forts where I had no knowledge of mechanics and placed bridges willy-nilly. [ Yet had better military control than most young forts].

After making a nice huge bridge and pulling it up [as a back entrance which seperated half the valley] I enclosed the front with another bridge for merchants and stuff.

Now here comes the lovely dwarven caravan with my order of steel and faedogs [Genesis], at the back gate edge, waiting to be let in. Followed by a siege, I gathered my band of 10 strong as iridium militants and ordered them to the back bridge, once the lever was pulled to free those merchants.

Then the lever was pulled.

Seven out of ten of them went *squish* under the bridge. The vile force of darkness proceeded to my fort, along with the [still alive] caravan. Then I realized I set the pop cap to about thirty dwarves, I had thirty-five. They wouldn't handle the siege alone against maybe three full squads of em.

Goblins got shred apart though, by the remaining five dwarves. Those caravan guards knew how to defend it.

That, and then I realized that I forgot to prepare goods to trade.

[I had no idea of how to steal goods then, ignore this side-comment]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:00 am »

Recently I had another oh shi- moment related to invaders. 5 kobold ambushes, all inside my perimeter, within a minute real time. We were already under siege and the rangers were picking off orcish melee troops paused outside the gates. The kobolds stormed the ranger team before the melee troops could back them up, but the kobolds still only managed to kill 2 or possibly 3 of the rangers (one fell down the dodge-pit trap somehow. Sigh...), and none of the no-to-low skill melee troops. Of course about half the ambushing kobolds were charging into the fortress' main entrance to assault the civilians in their burrow, where the first melee squad was. Still, I thought with that many enemies of any race and skill my militia of nobodies was doomed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 02:25:31 am »

Currently making a fort for adventure mode.  Mainly it just needs to be a passage to the caverns and maybe have a few steel/candy weapons inside.  So I figured when the goblins came, I'd let them slaughter my little a-holes.  my gem cutter went berserk, killed the entire ambush, then half my dwarves.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 11:12:05 am »

When I dug a trench around the entire map and then decided to make an entire z level (on the same floor as the trenches) into a supply room
effectively caving in the entire map..

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 11:31:24 am »

When I dug a trench around the entire map and then decided to make an entire z level (on the same floor as the trenches) into a supply room
effectively caving in the entire map..
Thus you then discover the lethality of it all.

That or you also discovered the FPS  :D

Goblin ambush my trade caravan [Human and Orc, Genesis Mod], in my open fort, from all FOUR SIDES. The guards did not stand a chance.

Then a vile force of darkness arrives when the survivors of the caravan leaves, right into their front. Perfect.
Pages: 1 [2]