Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment. *SPOILERS* (and clown cannons)  (Read 9714 times)

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment.
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2011, 02:55:21 pm »

So you discovered the nature of the circus?
Neat.
Anytime someone finds out about the circus and it is documented by this, the world is getting richer.
Though I thought there would be a more terryfied reaction, and you crying "WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME??", still, I like this.
greetz and good luck surviving FPS and clown death

On a side note:
You simply could have floored over the disco floor.
Just to mention it
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2011, 03:34:33 pm »

You mean the glowing floor?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »

Yeah, if you just construct something over the glowing floor before the sword is removed, Hell isn't revealed.

These types of thread are always fun because we can, completely honestly, assure unsuspecting victims that the demonic fortress isn't actually that dangerous to enter, and that getting to the upright sword isn't actually that difficult :P What we typically don't mention is that actually taking the sword is probably the most dangerous thing that can be done, for the reasons you've noticed. I suspect that people who have been lucky enough to have avoided spoilers are warned that there's something up with the forts from all the vague encouragement they get, but they seem to usually guess that it's the fort itself, rather than what's below it, that is being hidden.

Anyway, easy ways to kill demons include: cave-ins, long fields of upright spike traps linked to a lever that is pulled on repeat (trapavoiders don't have immunity to those), and obsidianization. Filling a long hallway with magma, letting the demons into it, and then letting water flow over the top of it (preferably through grates) is an easy, fairly repeatable method of killing the demons, but personally I prefer the spike trap route. Mind you, it takes about 40-50 strikes from steel spikes to kill an organic clown, so even with 10 spikes per trap you'll need a fairly long field, and any fire demons will destroy the trap that kills them and possibly adjacent traps unless they're made entirely from adamantine (hellfire is literally hotter than the sun and fire demons break into a cloud of it when they die).

Edit: Also, I should mention that if the path from the depths to your fort proper is entirely sealed off, eventually your FPS should return to its natural levels as the clowns map the lack of routes. Of course, if/when you open it up again it'll fall, but that will make it easier to build up proper defenses.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:39:28 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »

Also, now that we've had the reveal it would probably be good to add *SPOILERS* to the thread title.

Good Luck! :)
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »

Hey Necro, great to have you back.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2011, 07:03:10 pm »

Yeah, if you just construct something over the glowing floor before the sword is removed, Hell isn't revealed.

These types of thread are always fun because we can, completely honestly, assure unsuspecting victims that the demonic fortress isn't actually that dangerous to enter, and that getting to the upright sword isn't actually that difficult :P What we typically don't mention is that actually taking the sword is probably the most dangerous thing that can be done, for the reasons you've noticed. I suspect that people who have been lucky enough to have avoided spoilers are warned that there's something up with the forts from all the vague encouragement they get, but they seem to usually guess that it's the fort itself, rather than what's below it, that is being hidden.

Anyway, easy ways to kill demons include: cave-ins, long fields of upright spike traps linked to a lever that is pulled on repeat (trapavoiders don't have immunity to those), and obsidianization. Filling a long hallway with magma, letting the demons into it, and then letting water flow over the top of it (preferably through grates) is an easy, fairly repeatable method of killing the demons, but personally I prefer the spike trap route. Mind you, it takes about 40-50 strikes from steel spikes to kill an organic clown, so even with 10 spikes per trap you'll need a fairly long field, and any fire demons will destroy the trap that kills them and possibly adjacent traps unless they're made entirely from adamantine (hellfire is literally hotter than the sun and fire demons break into a cloud of it when they die).

Edit: Also, I should mention that if the path from the depths to your fort proper is entirely sealed off, eventually your FPS should return to its natural levels as the clowns map the lack of routes. Of course, if/when you open it up again it'll fall, but that will make it easier to build up proper defenses.

I initially thought something really powerful was guarding the sword, but when that turned out not to be the case, I got a pretty good idea of what was about to happen. Of course, I was expecting like, maybe a Balrog or something, not a horde of demons.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment. *SPOILERS*
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2011, 07:17:32 pm »

Reading this thread has brought me such joy.

I love you Archeron.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »

I initially thought something really powerful was guarding the sword, but when that turned out not to be the case, I got a pretty good idea of what was about to happen. Of course, I was expecting like, maybe a Balrog or something, not a horde of demons.
Demons are, IIRC, like 40x the size of a dwarf. So, a swarm of Balrogs that breathe nastiness. Their size also means that blunt weapons aren't terribly effective, but things like spears (and to a smaller extent, swords) are. I'd stay away from direct combat, though, and stick to repeater spikes/cave-ins if you seriously want to get rid of them.

Also, thank you for not wussing out and pulling the sword. Seeing someone new get introduced to the clowns is always a special moment.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:01:17 pm by Eidolon »
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2011, 07:33:58 pm »

^^ Thanks, I live to please lol.

Well, my FPS seems to be going up to somewhere near normal, which, I guess, means that the demons are now sealed in hell...

I'm making a bunch of adamantine spear traps, which is going to take a long time. I think that instead of trying to kill all the demons in hell, I'll use them to make a cat powered cannon that shoots demons.

No really. I actually had an Idea about how to do that: Make a superpressureized water cannon something along the lines of failcannon, lure demons up into the barrel using a cat as bait or something like that, pressurize the "barrel" with water, than open a one block wide drawbridge to fire the demon cannon.
It was inevitable.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment. *SPOILERS* (and clown cannons)
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »

I love that idea. Not certain it will hurt any of them, because their size, but still something I would love to see in action.

Something that's getting to me though, I've been playing with clowns for a year now, but I still haven't figured out how to move ettins out of the cages I catch them in to put them to any use. How do you do it, and how did you already figure that out?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »

I actually didn't use the ettin because my builders kept wussing out at the sight of the zombie crundles in the fortress. My plan was to build the cage, link it to a lever, then pull it to release the ettin.

Plus the demon cannon is more meant to be used against goblins (or elves  :D :D :D !!!)...Will demons attack goblins? If not, oh well, but it's still a literal hell cannon that shoots demons.
It was inevitable.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:38 am »

Deja Vu.

when threads like htis pop up i am happy.

as for the cage thing:
Pens, pits, other cages, linking to a lever and sending the cage to the trade deport are all ways of releasing the occupants of said cage.
Safest is evidently the linking to a lever.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2011, 05:28:00 am »

You know, a few posts ago when I referenced the sword in the stone, that wasn't you  :)

Anyway, time to construct a wooden wall! Nothing can get past that except for dwarves!!

Love threads like these, one of them is documented in the Hall of Legends too, link in my signature.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2011, 08:23:16 am »

There's actually a (fairly) simple way of dealing with the demons, documented here.

Checkerboard property of ThatAussieGuy

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2011, 10:29:18 am »

Simple?

Pfff, simplicity is not the dwarven way, you have to make it ridiculously complicated. Which is why I'm attempting to make a cannon to shoot demons at elves and goblins with.
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9