Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment. *SPOILERS* (and clown cannons)  (Read 9720 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment.
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 07:03:46 am »

I meant I can think of nothing not related to crundles that is more horrifying.

What about a Dwarf?

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 07:16:37 am »

Dwarfs aren't terryfying for someone who embraces their madness and plays Dwarf Fortress.
anything else?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2011, 07:32:25 am »

This thread gives me dejavu, In the good way ^^

I remember my first structure. IT WAS GLORIOUS.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2011, 07:38:05 am »

Its threads like this that are why I love the DF community so!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:19 am »

You mean as in a thread, in which < 1/3 posts are about the actual subject?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:22 am »

You mean as in a thread, in which < 1/3 posts are about the actual subject?
And that's before derailment!

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2011, 09:53:36 am »

I think that if the nature of the DF forums was put into words, in the speakers head a singularity would form and suck in him and all who heard it.
Same for writing it down, so dont do it!
On topic now:
How is it going?
Is King Arthur present already?
Have you slaughtered all the filthy damned inhabitants of the structure?
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:30 am »

Congratz.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA "Oh Adamantine!" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *sssssssssssssssss*

Winning.

Also, Dwarves will only melt to death when all of their fat has been melted off...

So I'm guessing science has already been done on what factors affect how quickly the dorfs burn? It seems like necro would already have timed to the tick for how long it takes for magma to solve each of the problems one commonly encounters in DF.

Not quite.
Do not forget, magma existed before Necro910. People have been experimenting with it for a long while, and you would honestly be surprised with the amount of times dwarves fall down hundreds of z lvls of lava in volcanoes.

Indeed. Necro just took magma and made it mainstream.
[Signature]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2011, 11:46:12 am »

"I used to like magma, but then it became too mainstream  8)"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:49 am »

Congratz.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA "Oh Adamantine!" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *sssssssssssssssss*

Winning.

Also, Dwarves will only melt to death when all of their fat has been melted off...

So I'm guessing science has already been done on what factors affect how quickly the dorfs burn? It seems like necro would already have timed to the tick for how long it takes for magma to solve each of the problems one commonly encounters in DF.

Not quite.
Do not forget, magma existed before Necro910. People have been experimenting with it for a long while, and you would honestly be surprised with the amount of times dwarves fall down hundreds of z lvls of lava in volcanoes.

Indeed. Necro just took magma and made it mainsea.
Fixed that for you  :P

"I used to like magma, but then it became too mainstream  8)"
>:(

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2011, 12:46:01 pm »

Well, the big problem for me is getting down into the structure: my miners keep canceling the task of channeling out the final rocks between me and the structure's ground level because of zombie penguins, I'm sending my marksdwarves in hopes of getting rid of a few.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

Finally my dorfs got something right.  Now just to unleash the ettin that got caught in my cage trap...Aw screw it, swordorfs gogogo!
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2011, 02:11:53 pm »

Well, the first level of the strucutre's been cleared out. Now to set up a base from which I can deploy and station troops and seal it off from the caverns to prevent any unwelcome guests from wandering in.
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2011, 02:49:38 pm »

Oh. My. God.

I just took the adamantine scimitar, and demons, fiends, brutes, devils and other shit swarmed out and tore the peasant I sent to deconstruct it to pieces. Fortunately, I prepared for something like this (I presume demons are the clowns everyone talks about?), and the peasant was completely walled in.

Unfortunately, my frame rate is practically unplayable, and I can't really think of a way to get rid of the demons; as soon as they came out I looked them up on the wiki: Fireproof, have crazy syndromes, immune to fear, can't drown...It would take me real time days to train a military to fight these guys at my current framerate...
It was inevitable.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2011, 02:54:11 pm »

Wow, that never gets old.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9