Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment. *SPOILERS* (and clown cannons)  (Read 9749 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment.
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 03:12:22 am »

I'll get to that once this goblin siege goes away, oh wait, it already did after I accidentally dropped a dwarven merchant caravan into my volcano...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

And they were all melee goblins too, plus I had enough cage traps for about half of them...

WHYYYYYYYYY!!!???

(will this negatively impact my standings with the mountainhomes?  Should I expect a dwarf siege?)
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:10 am »

I'll get to that once this goblin siege goes away, oh wait, it already did after I accidentally dropped a dwarven merchant caravan into my volcano...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

And they were all melee goblins too, plus I had enough cage traps for about half of them...

WHYYYYYYYYY!!!???

(will this negatively impact my standings with the mountainhomes?  Should I expect a dwarf siege?)

Spoiler: Reason in verbal form (click to show/hide)

To clarify- Loyalty cascades only happen when you order your militia on the merchants, which kills off mostly everyone in yer fort. Merchants will return next year but without any gain in goods as they will treat their caravan loss as...a loss.

Also, make memorials for them dead, you do NOT want angry ghosts in your place.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 03:39:38 am »

Will that be a problem though?  Don't ghosts tend to spawn near the place of their death, which in this case is about 100 z levels below my fort in the magma sea?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 04:06:27 am »

Will that be a problem though?  Don't ghosts tend to spawn near the place of their death, which in this case is about 100 z levels below my fort in the magma sea?

It takes time for them to know that they are dead.

In that time you must have memorialized them on rock slabs. I'm not sure about what type of ghosts though but they do move through walls and are annoying.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 04:09:22 am »

Ghosts can roam pretty freely in my experience, but they are usually completely harmless.  I have a dozen or so ghosts floating about my fortress and the worst they've done is topple a quartzite cabinet in a room nobody is using.  Apparently it makes a big difference if the dead dwarf is unhappy at the time of death, but a caravan won't be so you're fine. 

I had an adventurer who found herself at one of those curious structures and picked up the weapon.  It was a really great weapon — even though she wasn't a swordsdwarf it would rain limbs and body parts just walking around in a group of even armored goblins.  Even a Bronze Colossus was like cutting soft cheese.  Mmm, it was wonderful!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 10:40:29 am »

It takes time for them to know that they are dead.

In that time you must have memorialized them on rock slabs. I'm not sure about what type of ghosts though but they do move through walls and are annoying.
Oh you don't HAVE to do it before that time limit. You can do the slab ceremony whenever you want and they'll be appeased. Most ghosts don't have much impact on your fort either.

No, the main reason people hate ghosts is that they are an additional burden on your CPU. Pathfinding without worrying about obstacles? Huge FPS hit. Ok yeah, there are some ghosts that do make their presence felt by the damage they do, but all ghosts can go through walls and floors, eating up FPS.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 11:04:15 am »

You should get rid of them before there are too many though, it'll drive your more emotionally unstable dwarves insane. Also ghosts aren't restricted to their place of death, so have !FUN!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »

Actually the pathifinding issue with ghosts was fixed in the last release.  This is actually noticeable since when ghosts came out they used to rapidly flciker up and down in a few z-levels causing mad lag. Now they walk like normal civilians but ignoring all walls and causing very little lag (or as much/less than a normal blood and vomit covered dwarves child).  Keep your favorite ghosts about!   
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2011, 03:40:23 pm »

Well, I've cleared out the goblin siege, got an adamantine clad military force, and am digging towards the Slade structure. Wish me luck.

Btw, how do I get in if I can't dig through?
It was inevitable.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »

Dig through from above?
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »

There should be an entrance somewhere. It might be blocked by normal terrain but you should be able to get through that easily enough.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2011, 03:51:49 pm »

Ah...Oh. I seem to have lost track of where exactly the structure was...Hmmm...You said there was a masterwork adamantine weapon I could zoom to?  What screen would that be on?
It was inevitable.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2011, 03:55:48 pm »

Ah...Oh. I seem to have lost track of where exactly the structure was...Hmmm...You said there was a masterwork adamantine weapon I could zoom to?  What screen would that be on?
The (R)ooms screen.

Also, I, too, can truthfully assure you that there is absolutely nothing, save undead, between you and the awesome sword the undead guard. As such, entering the fortress and destroying the undead to get access to the sword is not very dangerous or difficult.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »

The (R)ooms screen (that's an uppercase 'R'). The structures are usually located in one of the caverns (probably the deepest one). IIRC the entrance is on the top level of the structure and open to the cavern while the weapon is on the bottom level, so zooming to it and going up a few levels should reveal the entrance.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2011, 04:32:34 pm »

Hmmm...Nogoodnames. You wouldn't happen to have played Spore every would you? Because there was a guy on the spore forum with your exact username.
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9