Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment. *SPOILERS* (and clown cannons)  (Read 9737 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:16 pm »

Dwarves are immune to all damage/temperature/etc while falling or flying. They drop clean through magma/water as if it were air, not affected by it at all until something solid stops their fall (the semi-molten rock at the bottom of the volcano, in your case). The moment their fall stops, physics catches up with them and they rapidly melt or drown or splatter as the case may be.

In Dwarf Fortress the fall can't hurt you, but hitting the ground at the end might.

On an unrelated note, you really want to check out the curious slade structure when your militia is ready. That adamantine weapon at the bottom of it is.. unlike any other. You claim it by slaughtering whatever may be guarding it, then deconstructing it with 'q' like a building.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »

Dwarves are immune to all damage/temperature/etc while falling or flying. They drop clean through magma/water as if it were air, not affected by it at all until something solid stops their fall (the semi-molten rock at the bottom of the volcano, in your case). The moment their fall stops, physics catches up with them and they rapidly melt or drown or splatter as the case may be.

In Dwarf Fortress the fall can't hurt you, but hitting the ground at the end might.

On an unrelated note, you really want to check out the curious slade structure when your militia is ready. That adamantine weapon at the bottom of it is.. unlike any other. You claim it by slaughtering whatever may be guarding it, then deconstructing it with 'q' like a building.

There's nothing too special about it, unless it's a longsword or a scourge or anything, it's basically an upgrade from your norm. weapons (unless you have a legendary weaponsmith like you do).
Though there is something incredibly satisfying about conquering it - even moving your dwarves into it and making the weapon a centre piece :D

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 03:19:08 pm »

There's nothing too special about it, unless it's a longsword or a scourge or anything, it's basically an upgrade from your norm. weapons (unless you have a legendary weaponsmith like you do).
Though there is something incredibly satisfying about conquering it - even moving your dwarves into it and making the weapon a centre piece :D

Granted, I was referring more to the.. circumstances of gaining it than any inherent characteristics of the weapon. We're trying not to spoil it. :P
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 03:21:02 pm »

So now what...I got some adamantine...I think my next project will be getting water up from the caverns into a resivoir...Anyone have any advice?

Screw pumps have always made my head spin (rimshot)
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »

Granted, I was referring more to the.. circumstances of gaining it than any inherent characteristics of the weapon. We're trying not to spoil it. :P
Which is why I just went ahead to not mention anything about the circumstances at all  :-*

SHUDDUP COW! :P
And as much as I'd like to see him furiously clear out the undead with a farmer or two, he'd be better off training his marksdwarves on them :]

(Though putting a dining hall or something with the weapon in it will increase the value = ecstatic dwarves :D
Plus, you can always deconstruct it and move it somewhere else / give it to your captain of the guard or something).

So now what...I got some adamantine...I think my next project will be getting water up from the caverns into a resivoir...Anyone have any advice?

Screw pumps have always made my head spin (rimshot)

There are much, MUCH easier ways to get water :P
(Also, clean water bla bla bla is a myth. The only thing that matters is a well (for sick dwarves)) - use this to your advantage :P

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »

Wells can span multiple z-levels. So if you punch a hole in the cavern roof that's above the cavern's water you'll be able to make a hospital there. Alternatively you can create a shaft all the way to the surface, or to whatever z-level you want, that still has vertical access to that water and your well will STILL be able to get it. Apparently those ropes and chains reside partly in a parallel universe or something.
However if you absolutely have to fill a reservoir I'd check out the wiki page on screwpumps and pump stacks. It's a lot of work and ALWAYS remember to put emergency stop precautious. Floodgates (and notes for the connected levers) are your friends.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Screw_pump
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »

Wow...That's odd...But cool. Once I get a military that I'm confident with, I think I'll go for that weapon...
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 03:39:37 pm »

Alright, try to keep us posted if ya wouldn't mind. I've never handled zombies personally as my embarks in any biomes with them tend to end rather quickly. Oh and in case you don't know, adamantine crossbows, hammers, and maces are all terrible since they weigh next to nothing. The crossbow works fine until you run out of ammo, but when your dorfs run out of ammo and charge in swinging their crossbows they'll hit with all the force of a baby swinging an inflatable hammer.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 03:40:09 pm »

The undead are really nothing to worry about in this release. I've had my starting seven fight through the entire structure, armed at most with a copper pick or axe, and more often completely unarmed.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 03:47:00 pm »

Compared to whips, they are balanced :P

How I love bay12...

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 03:59:46 pm »

Well, the mysterious structure will have to wait for now, I need to get my military up and running since I've just crossed the titan threshold. Surprisingly no goblin ambushes have occurs, in fact, the only dwarf deaths were the useless migrants I dropped into magma (the new wave of migrant looks to be useful: a grandmaster surgeon/wound dresser, yes please!)
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »

Well, the mysterious structure will have to wait for now, I need to get my military up and running since I've just crossed the titan threshold. Surprisingly no goblin ambushes have occurs, in fact, the only dwarf deaths were the useless migrants I dropped into magma (the new wave of migrant looks to be useful: a grandmaster surgeon/wound dresser, yes please!)

You should've severly harmed your migrants instead - practice for you medical dwarves :D

Then, once they've recovered, SEVERELY INJURE AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

With any luck, they'll go crazy and give your military dwarves some practice too :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 04:07:05 pm »

Wait that's not a bad idea, giving useless migrants obisidian swords...

...Drop them in zombieland...

....Mass engrave memorials...

PROFIT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 04:19:53 pm »

Necromancer abuse ftw.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 04:20:35 pm »

Wait that's not a bad idea, giving useless migrants obisidian swords...

...Drop them in zombieland...

....Mass engrave memorials...

PROFIT!
new zombie code too...

once the new version comes out, it is time for there to be a zombie infested area of the fort that has to be cleared, by new migrants! if they fail, they join the ranks of the undead...

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to capturing a single zombie, making a huge city... then RELEASE THE UNDEAD. Alternately, putting captured goblins into the zombie pit until I have a horde... goodbye sieges!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9