Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How do YOU protect YOUR fort?  (Read 3834 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How do YOU protect YOUR fort?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 03:30:22 pm »

Nothing to do with plagiarism, just I was remembering the horrific days of the 910 magma blitz of bay12, and people CONSTANTLY associating your name e.t.c must be unfortunate :)

And you've forced me to... It's Minotaurs when plural :O
I meant no offence, PLEASE DON'T KILL ME D:

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 04:13:57 pm »

...And the individual term for one of the race from the Fortress Defense mod that I was referring to is "minotauros," and the plural form, given by the mod itself, is "minotaurossi." Minotaurossi are very similar to, but distinct from, minotaurs. So it is I who is correct and it it you who is wrong  :P
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 04:17:50 pm »

...And the individual term for one of the race from the Fortress Defense mod that I was referring to is "minotauros," and the plural form, given by the mod itself, is "minotaurossi." Minotaurossi are very similar to, but distinct from, minotaurs. So it is I who is correct and it it you who is wrong  :P
I claim moral victory - YOU WERE USING A MAWD D:<

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 05:05:34 pm »

My fortress defenses vary on each of my forts.  I usually have some horribly contrived death trap in mind before I even embark.  Like the trap that would melt the ice under the enemy's feet, drop them in frigid water, and let it refreeze to encase them.  Or a room that has magma pumped through fortifications in the walls to push invaders into a drain in the middle, with a grate at the bottom to catch all the goodies.  My current fort is planned to have an arena in the entrance where I will pen war crocodiles, with the marksdwarf barracks literally above the room, and a big hole in the middle for them to shoot down through.

Before I get those kinds of things running, I tend to default to the "dry moat in front of a fortified wall with marksdwarves on it" defense.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »

actually, he was using historical information, its just that many things have gotten modernized
I once got called for bad typing for saying vulcanism instead of volcanism, while volcano and vulcano are completely interchangeable
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 05:26:30 pm »

Well, I use a  magma  flametrower , I made it reverse enginering some stuff from that one post about  magma landmines 
(I don't remember how it was called)
Although its a hard late-game megaproject involving LOTS of pipes and pre-planning. I just wish Toady implemented some sort of block that allows only liquids to pass. That would be awesome.

Cute Bebilith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 05:26:50 pm »

Squads of axedorfs at the gate. No pansy crossbows, or traps. There's usually a high turnover before i actually can get sufficient axes, not to mention armour. Sometimes the goblins overrun me before that. Sometimes a caravan arrives in time to bail me out, sometimes not...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »

actually, he was using historical information, its just that many things have gotten modernized
I once got called for bad typing for saying vulcanism instead of volcanism, while volcano and vulcano are completely interchangeable

...No he was using a mod.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 05:32:47 pm »

Well, I use a  magma  flametrower , I made it reverse enginering some stuff from that one post about  magma landmines 
Although its a hard late-game megaproject involving LOTS of pipes and pre-planning. I just wish Toady implemented some sort of block that allows only liquids to pass. That would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure that's called a fortification.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 05:36:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's called a fortification.

Or a floodgate.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 02:51:20 am »

No its a real gun, its not the normal SKORCh THE WORLD method its posible to create because it seems that magma presurices when you use pumps to move it.

Here is an example: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.msg2561309#msg2561309

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 03:54:47 am »

Nothing to do with plagiarism, just I was remembering the horrific days of the 910 magma blitz of bay12, and people CONSTANTLY associating your name e.t.c must be unfortunate :)

I meant no offence, PLEASE DON'T KILL ME D:
Magma blitz? History lesson please  :)

Also, I never run out of dwarves. Just a perimeter with one part open. No bridges, gates or enclosed spaces. My [insert the fear of enclosed spaces here] dwarves are put in the military. Easy way to stop idlers in a 200 man fort, easy to keep my masons busy  :D

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 04:09:10 am »

First year: Line of traps.

Second year: Line of traps + ramshackle militia.

Years 3-5: More militia.

Years 5+: Half or more of fort are already soldiers.

My fort now has 151 dwarves, from which 84 are soldiers, 54 are civilian workers (1/3 metalworkers, 1/3 food-related, 1/3 oither) and 13 children. 25 animals, including 17 war beasts (mostly dogs + random lion/bear etc.)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 04:12:57 am »

I defend my fortresses with

A: A long, long bridge leading into the fortress that has a big pit under it where enemies die and then have their stuff taken and corpses left to rot.

B: The same, but with a drainable flooding trap underneath.

C: Some weapon traps and a short hallway.

D: No defenses at all. (Survival of the fittest)
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 04:43:44 am »

First year: Screw you goblins! I just lock myself in the fort.
Rest of the fort: Use the fucking military, traps is for elves.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4