Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too many immigrants!  (Read 6149 times)

The Wanderer of Planes

• Bay Watcher
  • PhD in Dwarven Sociology
    • View Profile
Re: Too many immigrants!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 09:38:33 pm »

There is a simple way to get rid of useless migrants/nobles that is clean and efficient.

But it is an "exploit".

So you should try it and see if your pride of being legit is more important than imposing
"eugenics" in your fortress (mainly the process of eliminating "genetically" inferior dwarves
to keep the stronger ones).

Build a bridge on the ground (the best place is in a corner of your fortress where you don't mind
performing atrocities to you kin). Make sure that the bridge raises up in the right direction and doesn't
just retracts (in this case you could place it over a sea of magma or something else fun).

Build a lever and link it to the bridge. Raise the bridge.

Place all your useless nobles... I mean dwarves in a squad and station them under the bridge.

Lower the bridge.

This is called an atom-smasher. It smashes all underneath it to nothingness except elephants
and caravans... You should check the wiki for detailed info:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Dwarven_atom_smasher

Have fun! You will.
Dwarven politics are always about magma...

Ihmhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »

I really wish you could just change the population dynamically from inside the game. I usually tell new players to limit their population to like 10 (which will give you at most 14 or 15 dorfs total eventually) to keep things managable, and then to edge it up once they have the hang of keeping an adequate supply of food on hand.

Having a map with dirt also helps *loads*. You can get a dirt bedroom carved out in a jiffy and there are no troublesome stones left behind to clean up.

The Wanderer of Planes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 10:42:47 pm »

I am not sure about population cap, I have tried
it once and felt strange, as if it was unnatural.

Migrant waves are part of the challenges of this game,
and it is also realistic, since people will be attracted
to your fortress since it grows with time.

Unless it is for learning the game or testing some specific
things, I think we shouldn't turn off immigration.

Mercutian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 03:13:20 am »

As opposed to turning it off, as previous poster stated, at least allow us to DENY the guys. Maybe in the form of telling the traders to spread word that youre doing really poorly or make up some nonsense about rampaging elephants or something. Maybe have to bribe them in order to do it. Something more dynamic that raising a drawbridge and not letting them in.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 05:51:14 am »

As opposed to turning it off, as previous poster stated, at least allow us to DENY the guys. Maybe in the form of telling the traders to spread word that youre doing really poorly or make up some nonsense about rampaging elephants or something. Maybe have to bribe them in order to do it. Something more dynamic that raising a drawbridge and not letting them in.

Why deny entry when murder is an option? Lower the drawbridge on their heads and accidentally fire the ballistae.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:23 am »

Why deny entry when murder is an option? Lower the drawbridge on their heads and accidentally fire the ballistae.

Technically, its not really murder if magma incinerates all of the evidence...  ::)

The Wanderer of Planes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 09:55:26 am »

That's what I'm thinking!
If we turned off migrants, no one would invent such
fun ways to make a natural selection of migrants...

And please don't make our life easier by inventing
all sorts of in-game features to control immigration...

Dwarven politics are all about magma.

necroneous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 12:10:14 pm »

I have a welcome room that I use on every migration wave, but I first check to see if they have any useful skills, because while I do hate migrants, I don't hate the occasional legendary weaponsmith or high master strand extractor among the hordes. The useful ones get assigned to a safe burrow, while the useless ones get stabbed to death by iron spearsa crash course in learning how to dodge.  Make sure you have enough coffins too, while it is easier to let them starve, it can make gathering their corpses a pain, and noone likes a haunted fortress.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 01:40:52 pm »

Flooding entryways are my preference. Washes away anything not amphibious and tends to drown it as well. Archers deal with the giant frogs.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 03:43:51 pm »

I have a welcome room that I use on every migration wave, but I first check to see if they have any useful skills, because while I do hate migrants, I don't hate the occasional legendary weaponsmith or high master strand extractor among the hordes. The useful ones get assigned to a safe burrow, while the useless ones get stabbed to death by iron spearsa crash course in learning how to dodge.  Make sure you have enough coffins too, while it is easier to let them starve, it can make gathering their corpses a pain, and noone likes a haunted fortress.

I just got a high master strand extractor in my second immigrant wave.  I think I'll let this one live. 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

thats the only reason to have a high number for pop cap, for the extraordinairy craftsmen, and to supply your militairy with fresh recruits
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 06:27:48 am »

I got a high-master diagnostician in my last migrant wave. I don't usually embark with any doctors at all, since they tend to migrate in for me, but this time I hadn't gotten any medically-skilled dwarves in the first three or four years. So I was just about ready to decide to forsake the hospital entirely and let this fortress be a life-is-cheap kind of place when along comes Mister Purple Guy. Now I'm torn. Right now, I have him assigned as a hauler, but I may give in and dig out the hospital I was planning from the start after all.

The worst, though, is embarking in an area with loads of kaolin and tin and not getting a skilled glazer migrant. Glazing is bugged right now and doesn't gain skill, ever … and it goes so slow with a dabbler.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 07:56:27 am »

lv 13 weaponsmith in a wave :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:53 am »

The worst, though, is embarking in an area with loads of kaolin and tin and not getting a skilled glazer migrant. Glazing is bugged right now and doesn't gain skill, ever … and it goes so slow with a dabbler.

IIRC, porcelain doesn't need to be glazed. It also has a 10x value multiplier, so even unglazed low-quality pots go for 200 db a pop.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23:39 pm »

step one- dig out a decent sized room and throw about 20 beds in itas a dormitory.
It will be a LONG time before you have more than 20 dwarves sleeping at once.

step two- this is the most important step. get your farm and liquor industry set up in OVERDRIVE. produce far more than you could ever use. if you're doing it right, your stonecrafter should churn out pots for about a year straight, trying to keep up.

step three- dig out enough 3x3 rooms for 200 some odd dwarves, i like to do it in two pods with 50 bedrooms above the dining hall and 50 below, with hatches that lead directly from the bedroom to the hall, one pod up high near the surface, and one down low where i want the fort to be later on. while you're doing this, cut down every tree you can find and buy every log you can from the traders to keep your carpenter busy making beds. You should finish the beds a bit earlier than you finish digging the space. then it's just a matter of hauling them and all the hatch covers and cabinets you've been making and BAM! you're good for a long time. (until economy is fixed, i dont think you need to make coffers.)

the beauty of this method is that your dwarves will be just fine sleeping in the dorm until you get shit worked out.

EDIT: too many migrants is never a bad thing. You'd be AMAZED how fast 40 masons can put up a whole freaking castle.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:25:33 pm by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: 1 [2]