Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Increasing Magma Pressure?  (Read 2841 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Increasing Magma Pressure?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:07 pm »

It must be made clear that there is no such thing as "increasing" pressure in Dwarf Fortress.

Pressure is not a property of bodies of liquid - it is a procedure applied by certain methods of fluid movement. This means that if there's no room for a fluid to move, no "pressure" will be apparent; once there's room, however, then the rules of pressure will be applied normally according to the fluid you're dealing with (which, for magma, means that screw pumps will 'push' magma into the nearest possible squares connected to the pump's output tile).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:01 pm »

OBJECTION!

If you want to get legal, pressure in this case refers to the game mechanics employed by DF to simulate water pressure...

Yeah.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 03:05:34 pm »

Thanks.  ;) My giant goatse cannon now shoots lava out like explosive diarhhea instead of anal leakage.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »

Thanks.  ;) My giant goatse cannon now shoots lava out like explosive diarhhea instead of anal leakage.

ABANDON THREAD

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 07:39:06 pm »

Is there any limit to the "pressure" could you theoretically pump 1000 tile's worth of magma into one square? Then watch mayhem as you open the floodgate to release it?
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »

Is there any limit to the "pressure" could you theoretically pump 1000 tile's worth of magma into one square? Then watch mayhem as you open the floodgate to release it?

It doesn't work that way. You can't actually store more than 7/7 magma in a single tile.

If you had 1000 pumps connected in parallel to a magma cannon, you could theoretically discharge 1000 tiles worth of magma in a single blast. That amount of magma would cover a 34 tile diameter flat circle in 7/7 deep magma, or if fired in midair would create a 15 tile diameter hemisphere of 7/7 magma.
Pages: 1 [2]