Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Increasing Magma Pressure?  (Read 2839 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increasing Magma Pressure?
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »

I pumped some magma out of my volcano, and set up a 10 by 10 reservoir with a floodgate outside that I filled with with 1 pump screw. I want to increase the pressure so that the magma shoots out violently instead of simply dribbling out like now. Any suggestions?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Increasing Magma Pressure?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:22:11 pm »

Pumps are the only way to do this, just remember, magma safe materials....

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:24:46 pm »

Just like you would in real life, pump is pumping into the sealed chamber, that should raise the pressure.

Psst, make it out of wood! (no don't)
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:04 pm »

pumping it into a chamber with screw pumps (?) should work, there is no other way to do it
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:44:17 pm »

Psst, make it out of wood! (no don't)

Unless it's nether cap  :P
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »

I remember my first attempts to make a magma cannon, I was super careful to use magma safe materials on my pump but I forgot to use magma safe materials in the gear assembly(? I don't remember exactly what I did) and it went rogue, spewing lava with no off switch killing everything outside the fortress. But on the plus side it killed everything outside of the fortress so in a sense it was a rousing success.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:49:07 pm »

I stopped a magma flow recently by building a resivour above it, with a floor hacth hooked to a lever, designated it a pond, waited for it to be filled, then dumped the water unto the magma flow to plug it.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »

I stopped a magma flow recently by building a resivour above it, with a floor hacth hooked to a lever, designated it a pond, waited for it to be filled, then dumped the water unto the magma flow to plug it.

And thus the conundrum is solved, we can now solve the problem when the problem is a magma cannon!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 07:14:41 pm »

And thus the conundrum is solved, we can now solve the problem when the problem is a magma cannon!
NOTHING CANNOT BE SOLVED WITH MAGMA

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:15:42 pm »

If the problem is free flowing magma, adding more magma just makes it worse.... :d
This is the weakness of magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:16:10 pm »

If the problem is free flowing magma, adding more magma just makes it worse.... :d
Nope.

Not if you solve it correctly.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »

Nope.

Not if you solve it correctly.

Obviously a magma-based kill switch for the cannon was required. Perhaps something that killed pump operators/destroyed power feeds. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:14 pm »

But you see... There was no off switch when it started, as the magma melted the !FUN! from its bones. It was an error that could not be fixed with magma. Maybe duct tape, but not magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 07:51:35 pm »

But you see... There was no off switch when it started, as the magma melted the !FUN! from its bones. It was an error that could not be fixed with magma. Maybe duct tape, but not magma.
It could have. You just need to apply it properly.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:40:58 pm »

I pumped some magma out of my volcano, and set up a 10 by 10 reservoir with a floodgate outside that I filled with with 1 pump screw. I want to increase the pressure so that the magma shoots out violently instead of simply dribbling out like now. Any suggestions?

Look at this page and trace the path of the magma from the eruption back through the tubes to the pump stack:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10096-flamegate

Read these pages and learn the details of how pumps, pump stacks, and magma work:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Screw_pump
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Magma
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Vattic/Mechanical_Volcano_Explained
Pages: [1] 2