Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: War Bugbats!  (Read 7653 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: War Bugbats!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:33 pm »

Pasture them on a dodge-me trap.  Come the next ambush/siege, you'll find yourself with a handful of named bugbats.  I once had a named buzzard with a giantess on his kill list.

If you ever get something like this again, name it Roc. To confuse the living heck out of the invaders when your dwarf screams " Go for the eyes, Roc!"
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »

Pasture them on a dodge-me trap.  Come the next ambush/siege, you'll find yourself with a handful of named bugbats.  I once had a named buzzard with a giantess on his kill list.

If you ever get something like this again, name it Roc. To confuse the living heck out of the invaders when your dwarf screams " Go for the eyes, Roc!"

And find a tame Roc, and call it Bat.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »

For a second I thought we were going to go with Rock/Revy...  :D

I also play World of Warcraft and my hunter's cat is named Dog.  I've lost track of the number of players who have asked me if my pet was bugged or if I knew I had named it wrong.

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 07:47:04 pm »

Wow!  I just opened up a troll cage (regular underground troll, not war troll) in a room with a long shaft in the middle and a small "Swarm" of six of my war bugbats, hoping they would at least get it to dodge into the pit and fall onto the upright spike at the bottom.

Instead they ripped the troll to bits within moments!  Even the baby bugbats went to town on it.

First they bit the Troll's right eye out.  Then severed a motor nerve in the left arm.  Opened an artery in the right upper arm.  Bruised the guts.  The troll looks sick!  The troll vomits!  Then the bugbats latched on firmly in various places for a bit while the troll broke the grip of the bugbats.   Bit the troll in the head a few times, tearing the fat and muscle.  Tore a motor nerve in the right foot.  The troll vomits!  The bugbats tear some chunks out of the troll's legs.  Bite the third left finger off.  The severed part goes sailing off in an arc!  The troll vomits!  The troll retches!  Bite and tear a bit more.  The troll tries to punch one of the poor bugbats in the right hand, but the shot glances away!  In retaliation the bugbat bites the troll in the guts some more.  The bugbat pups get in on this action and tear the muscle in the right foot from behind!  Bites the right foot, many nerves have been severed!  The troll vomits!  The troll retches!  Ooooo, the bugbat tears at the troll's throat, opening a major artery.  A lot more biting and latching on.  And then I guess the troll bled out, because none of my little bugbat air force got credit for the kill.

/\/\O__o/\/\  - rawr!

I'm a lot more badass
       than you thought!
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 10:13:42 pm »

Wow!  I just opened up a troll cage (regular underground troll, not war troll) in a room with a long shaft in the middle and a small "Swarm" of six of my war bugbats, hoping they would at least get it to dodge into the pit and fall onto the upright spike at the bottom.

Instead they ripped the troll to bits within moments!  Even the baby bugbats went to town on it.

First they bit the Troll's right eye out.  Then severed a motor nerve in the left arm.  Opened an artery in the right upper arm.  Bruised the guts.  The troll looks sick!  The troll vomits!  Then the bugbats latched on firmly in various places for a bit while the troll broke the grip of the bugbats.   Bit the troll in the head a few times, tearing the fat and muscle.  Tore a motor nerve in the right foot.  The troll vomits!  The bugbats tear some chunks out of the troll's legs.  Bite the third left finger off.  The severed part goes sailing off in an arc!  The troll vomits!  The troll retches!  Bite and tear a bit more.  The troll tries to punch one of the poor bugbats in the right hand, but the shot glances away!  In retaliation the bugbat bites the troll in the guts some more.  The bugbat pups get in on this action and tear the muscle in the right foot from behind!  Bites the right foot, many nerves have been severed!  The troll vomits!  The troll retches!  Ooooo, the bugbat tears at the troll's throat, opening a major artery.  A lot more biting and latching on.  And then I guess the troll bled out, because none of my little bugbat air force got credit for the kill.

/\/\O__o/\/\  - rawr!

I'm a lot more badass
       than you thought!

Breed them for there size, and supplement them with Jabberes from the deep!

Then somehow make it so that a child makes it there pet, in order to replace your entire force of war-bears.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:16:57 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 12:52:42 pm »

I released a goblin into the bat room and bam!  Got a named War Bugbat now!  Osnemzon - Doctrinecolors, the War Bugbat.

He's so viciously cute.

I also wish that you could assign specific war/hunting animals as pets to people.  I'd give my queen a half dozen bugbats so I could imagine her walking around the fort with a little swarm of bats around her head.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »

I released a goblin into the bat room and bam!  Got a named War Bugbat now!  Osnemzon - Doctrinecolors, the War Bugbat.

He's so viciously cute.

I also wish that you could assign specific war/hunting animals as pets to people.  I'd give my queen a half dozen bugbats so I could imagine her walking around the fort with a little swarm of bats around her head.

[v] [p] [e] to give a dwarf a war animal, this war animal will function as a pet, except with combat bonuses, can be slaughtered, gives happiness e.t.c.

Note, it will also generate an unhappy thought when they die, so don't give it to dwarves who aren't emotionless and apathic towards all things bad.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 03:10:11 pm »

this topic made me want to have those shiny modded bugbats.
specially since you all say they are warlords compared to common war animals (such as elf loot or minotaurs in a pit).
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 03:49:14 pm »

Breed them for there size, and supplement them with Jabberes from the deep!

I wish I could but they don't have much in the way of size modifiers from looking at the raws, aside from age.  They are all about the same size once grown.

[v] [p] [e] to give a dwarf a war animal, this war animal will function as a pet, except with combat bonuses, can be slaughtered, gives happiness e.t.c.

Yeah, but it picks an animal at random to assign to them.  So she might get one of my war dogs, or war cave crocodiles instead of one of my vicious little flappy guys. 

this topic made me want to have those shiny modded bugbats.
specially since you all say they are warlords compared to common war animals (such as elf loot or minotaurs in a pit).

Under data/save/[your fort]/raw/objects/creature_next_underground.txt

Find the entry for bugbat and replace [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET][TRAINABLE] and there you go.  Of course, you'll have to find some also.

They breed like rabbits and grow up quick too.  Out of only three original bugbats I now have a little squadron of 11, with 6 grownups and 5 little bugbat pups after only a couple years.  Looking at the raws, it appears they will live 10-20 years as well.  Plenty of time to build up quite a little air force.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 03:49:49 pm »

Note to self: don't forget to edit bugbats' raws.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 03:50:09 pm »

Cage all of your warligators, war dogs e.t.c until only war bats are roaming free - then assign them :]

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 04:03:16 pm »

Cage all of your warligators, war dogs e.t.c until only war bats are roaming free - then assign them :]

Man, I have a lot of war animals.  That seems like a lot of time and effort just to get a little flotilla of war bugbats fluttering around my queen.

So obviously I have to do it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »

Man, I have a lot of war animals.  That seems like a lot of time and effort just to get a little flotilla of war bugbats fluttering around my queen.

So obviously I have to do it.

If you put that cage in a war animal bomb...

With a kitten pressure plate trigger...

It is now practical.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »

I am going on arena mode and !!SCIENCING!! what max size animals bugbats can take down in a swarm of 5.

Well 3-5 rabbits can take down an elephant so....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 04:12:19 pm »

WTF? bugbats aren't in the selection menu >:(

In the raws there's something that stops them being in the arena, I think [NO_ARENA] or something
Pages: 1 [2] 3