Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 89

Author Topic: HOTRS II: Dead Roots Stirring Toxic Season 104AE  (Read 60979 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: House of the Rising Suns 2: Things continue as forseen
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:12 am »

Renard sat at the head of the table with several of his most-trusted generals, and a handful of the Xeno leaders, looking at each in turn he finally spoke, "Our morale is faltering, and our coffers are empty, we must gather resources, and we need more then just soldiers in this camp. So I have a plan gather all seven battalions of cavalry, and as much supplies they can carry without being weighed down. Today we go to war my friends, we will free the enslaved, and raid the House of Nova's land!" Several agreements come from the gathered men, and the scatter as Renard begins to put on his leather armor, and otherwise prepare for the coming battle.

Movements:
Assemble all seven of my cavalry battalions, and march to the outlying cities of House Nova, look for the places where the slaves are held, and free them. Renard will ride out with the group himself.

Construction:
Have some of the men staying behind line the pits with spikes, and reinforce the palisade as best they can.
Some will begin expanding the fortress as best they can, adding another palisade a ways out, and another pit around it.
Finally the rest will begin construction of siege weapons, primarily ballista.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2012, 10:44:28 am »

Avery's hand did not tremble as she read the report of Garths death. It was not at all surprising. They had known the stakes. There was no wailing, enraged pronouncement or tears, Pancreator forbid.

No, nothing like that.

Some would merely say something had died in Avery's-something she had barely had before, but it had been there all the same. Perhaps it was the last of that hope. A secret hope she had shared with no one living. Her own feelings for Garth had been more than just political aspiration-they had been as close to love as she had ever come, to anyone. She had allowed herself to think of something in her future more than just an eternity of war-something else...but she could never quite grasp it.

And they had killed him. Hope was for fools, after all....

"Send a message to Luthias Hartwing. Perhaps we should meet."

That night, Avery's wasn't in her palace. She had gone for a walk-no guards or hangers on. Very dangerous...but this was something she had to do alone. Roim, at least, understood. He had said goodbye to many of his friends in the same way-where no one could see his hidden weakness.

She found a suitable spot-a hill, overlooking a wide field. Averys knelt, taking a handful of dirt. In the hole, she put a small silver necklace Garth had given her during one fine summer, many years ago. When they both had those hopes. When they both had done something secret-forbidden, but that's what made it matter. Averys had never regretted it.

...but, she had never worn it again, after that summer, anyway.

Averys dropped the silver in the hole.

"You were my first."

Next came the knife. She cut the palm of her hand, letting her blood flow into earth.

"Goodbye, Garth. I'll make those sons-of-bitches pay. I Promise. Sealed it with blood."

Averys took a moment for herself. Did the iron woman-this brutal killer, merciless soldier, star destined ruler-perhaps utter a single sob?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Afterwards, she covered the hole reverently, stood up.

And walked back to the palace, her face fixed in fierce determination.

----------------------
Later, in the palace throne room

So much to do, Averys mused, checking off things on the seemingly unending list Malcador seemed a bit too happy to keep adding onto. Roim was equally bored, probably counting off the hours till they could get back to the bedroom.

Not that there was much sleeping to be done lately.

government Actions:
1. Begin spreading existing programs (Law, Infrastructure, policing, currency, health, education, etc) to the newly conquered areas. Make this a priority over all else.
2. Do both. Fund research and send out exploration teams to unlock the secret of this stone-oil.
3. Enlarge the Arena, of course.
4. Increase funding toward the Medical system, to establish the medical guild. Construct a central hospital in the capital to serve as a Guild house, in addition to serving the people. Call it the "Asclepieia"
5. Averys and Roim lead their forces out personally to hunt down the local bandits-not taking many prisoners. Use the chance to integrate both of their forces.
6. Call on a Minor Noble assembly-Lady Averys will hear their complaints.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:47:15 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2012, 10:46:00 am »

Before I go forward with posting a sheet for a House noble, are there any other factions for me to consider?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:19 am »

The current known factions, are the Xenos/Renard, House Nova, Church, some of the Minor houses, and feudal lords.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:30 am »

"Lady Raventree.  A pleasure to meet you. Is this issue of banditry such a major one milady? And the lord himself had marched out to meet them on the field. Such a terrible state of affairs we have to reside."
Rigos shrugs as he walks around the mostly deserted hall with his arms outstretched.
"But under House Nova,  Things can improve. Significantly.  I brought with me two regiments of House Infantry, two regiments that can vastly improve your situation. But sadly Lady Raventree, Most would see the deployment as a invasion...Unless that is, If you swear into House Nova that is, then I would be free to assist you in the deployment of troops, maybe throw some funding around. Who knows?"
Raggle Fraggle

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2012, 11:12:41 am »

Are starting Feudal Lord or patriarch of a Minor House currently availiable choices?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2012, 11:45:16 am »

Jackpot. Tavius, after weeks and weeks of tracking had finally found the renegade king's camp. Now all he pondered was how Renard's life was going to end. In this case, it was reputation versus efficiency. And in this case, efficiency won out...

Tavius takes up a hidden sniping position and uses his Rifle to end Renard's life.

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2012, 12:10:18 pm »

(nope no positions as Feudal Lord or Minor Hosue Patriarch are open...)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »

Luthias took his time in answering the summon of the House Nova, still settling in to the position of Archon. He knew the ins and outs of the job very well, serving under Garth many years, but the old man left this mortal plane, for one reason or the other. The taks of maintaing church influence was suddenly so much harder as Averys was married to that barbarian and Garth was showing that he did not have the will to press his claim and influence.

He arrived with a minor group of retainers and Church Templars, seeing them sufficent to show his new position but not threatening to now powerful Nova Matriarch. dressed rather richly, with emblems of his office, he saw it fit to present himself properly.

Lady Averys, it is a pleasure to meet you. I want to congratulate you on your new life and on the splendour that you have aquired. I presume that you want to speak of the future of this world?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2012, 03:30:37 pm »

Avery's nodded, taking stock of this...well, she could only think of him-unfairly, maybe-as an impostor.

She still smiled like a politician, though. It was something she had learned quite quickly in this line of work. They wanted her to lie to them.

Avery's had donned her own 'disguise'-she was wearing full military dress, her medals shining brightly. Well, maybe they shined for others. They were just scraps of metal to her.

She replied to Luthias...

"Likewise, a pleasure. I welcome you to my Home Archon-and thank you for meeting with me.

As for the future of this world, only the Pancreator knows...but, I assume, our relationship with the church is in good hands with you. At least, I would hope. Time's are coming that will test us all."

She paused for a moment.

"Ah, a pity what happened to Garth-the news coming from the Church is still fragmented. Not surprising, considering the state of communications in these days. Tell me, Archon Luthias-what have you heard about his death?

He was a good friend of mine, and on the heels of my Wedding, this happens. Tragedy."

Averys angled her head to one side. How much had Garth trusted this man, she wondered..
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2012, 04:04:47 pm »

"I was the late Archon's most trusted man and secretary, and while I have advanced into his position, his departure hurt me deeply. He was a fair man, truly dedicated to his cause, but at the same time he knew how to get things done.

He looked at the woman in front of him. She looked rather militant, and wfrom what information Luthias had, she had some sort of connection with Garth. Whether it went into the private sphere was unknown, but they certainly had good official relations. No need to damage that.

"Considering that about half of this world is now uder the control of the faithful, it would be wise to see to establishing proper relations as well as lending you help in bringing up your new subjects. Church is willing to lend you the support of Ecclesia Scriptoris, who will bear the torch of knowledge and help establish schools and libraries. They will obvously include proper religious teaching as well."

"Another matter that I wanted to bring forth to you: You seem to be at home in managing the spiritual side of things in your old lands, and for that I would ike to congratulate you. But considering your new position, would it not be wise if you allowed Church to administer the temples and shrines in your old domain? Civilian adminstration is ailing and you certainly would want to see to it."

"Lastly, I would like to inquire as to your opinion on the ... internal views in the Church. It is my sincere intention to restore proper position of Humanity. I can only guess, but I don't see any goal more worthy."

He was hoping that those proposals weren't offensive or too demanding. Averys was a pious woman, and he did sincerely wanted to build a reasonable relations with her. He could not reveal all though, as he would show himself weak.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:49:07 pm by Ardas »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »

(nope no positions as Feudal Lord or Minor Hosue Patriarch are open...)

(Oh well, House Noble it is, given how Ardas took the Archon opening; working on the sheet))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »

Avery's nodded along-as if the death was just another passing trifle. A minor occurrence.

She thought of her blood staining a silver necklace, in a dark hole in the ground.

And she was able to smile, and answer his questions in the calm, forceful tones of oration she had practiced. She would be expected to orate, naturally. So she did-with grace, poise and etiquette.

To the first question...

"Yes. Knowledge sets us free, does it not? Your Ecclesia Scriptoris will be most welcome here.

Admittedly, I'm surprised you offered them so easily. I'm not one to begin lobbing criticism at church policy, but some I've known in the Orders have demonstrated a certain...willful blindness, we might say? They do not share knowledge easily, or at all. Some see Demons hide behind every piece of soldered wire or microscope slide.

I'm inclined to believe fear sometimes clouds our faith. The virtuous need not fear progress-a man may invent a new sort of hammer without losing his soul...as long as he remains a human, of course. I do have reservations about what many have termed 'augmentations', to the Human body."

She took the time to remove the glove on her right hand. While the fingers had grown back-more or less-the pattern of thick crisscrossing scars would never fade. She held it out to Luthias.

"I know I could replace this hand, if I wished. But I have left it unaltered-excepting common medical surgery-to remind me. To replace it with a cybernetic...thing. It would be like removing a part of my soul....ah, forgive me if the sight disturbs you. But it's the best way I can think for you to begin to know me, Sir Luthias."

To the second question...

"That is a question, for sure. I believe the Church can bring order to my kingdom-and I will allow them, as guests in my realm. As for direct control? I would have to decline, if that's what you were asking for. Exactly why, I'll answer to your satisfaction, rest assured.

For now, I suggest a mingling-my own Priests are of the more...militant variety. They have certain duties-calling the faithful to defend the flocks, for example. Battlefield Chaplain duties. Converting Xenos from heresy. They do a good enough job...but there is not quite enough of them. I hope we can work together-and be honest with each other.

In the end though-I'd hope the ones you send to tend to my flocks have swords of their own. For the wolves, you know."

To the third question...

"And, we come to it at last.

While I have great respect for the Old Guard, I have sensed many are out of touch-no fault of their own, though. Sometimes, people in high and mighty positions lose a bit of perspective. I am not so proud to say that I have not caught myself falling into the same trap, now and again.

I believe Reform is needed. The universe is growing smaller every day, after all. We need to grow along with it. Perhaps more importantly...we need to concentrate on what's important-the shepherding of humanity against real, physical threats.

The advancement of humanity, above our own needs and wants. We have become complacent-satisfied ourselves by railing from pulpits about Humanities choices in literature, diet and romantic partners are more important than the very real dangers that breed outside our walls-the Heretics and the Xenos.

I believe Reform is coming. If we're ready for it or not. Our enemies most assuredly will.

...if we are to survive, we must ride this wave...or be drowned in it's wake."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »

She certainly knew her way with words. She spoke a refined, precise language, and left nothing to be guessed. It could beither a sign of honesty or entrenched neutrality. No point in being harsh or demanding for anything as long as she remains cooperative...

"My Lady, I see that you are of a great mind and of great vision. Knowledge is an expensive thing indeed, that is why I considered to aid you in teaching your subjects exchange for access to any artifacts and research, to be for common use. Even with your most concentrated efforts, educating a hundred million souls will take decades with your present resources, whereas Church stands ready with both knowledge and organisation as well as faith to carry out their duty."

He briefly looked at her hand with no emotion.

"I understnad and respect your reservations about the priesthood and managment of shrines. By all means they are under your care and I can only hope to build better relations with them. Perhaps with time the Church will be able to assume its proper role once your domain settles down. After all we do not want to breed heresy in separation form the Church." He smiled weakly.

"As for the reform, I am of the same mind. Nonetheless, the matter is bit more comples than what you expect. Reformists are in minority now, and only common effort can change that. I would hate to see you embroiled in any conflict with the main body of Church, lest we risk a split. For now its a matter o subtlety and growth."

For now the matter of education and technology will be settled. That would be enough of of a good start though. Besides, there is the other half of the world that has to be taken care of.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30:42 pm »

Averys replaced her glove.

"Well, when it comes down to it, I'm still a soldier, Archon. I know subtlety, though the looping of political lingo and double-words bore me...but, I can play the game with the best of them.

My kingdom will grow strong, rest assured. When the times comes, we will be ready."

The pair talked of minor lingering business, before moving on to pleasantries, and farewells...

"Well. I think we've discussed all our major business today. Though, there will no doubt be a dozen more by the 'morrow..." She gave a well practiced world-weary grin.

"I should inquire-Might the Archon grace us with his presence at our palace feast tonight?

It is hardly a grand celebration-but my new husband seemed to enjoy having them often enough...

Do not mistake my intentions. I only wish for our continuing friendship to be more than just writing on paper, or words in the wind.

The Pancreator saith 'Thee who breaketh bread with another, you can call your clan-brother, and share your thoughts and hopes with him', after all."

Avery's had deliberately invoked a passage from one of the older works-Testament of Byzael.

Primarily, it had centered some of it's mortal truisms about finding trust in dangerous times. She was sure he got the implied message.

OOC: Though I made that one above up, here's an actual list of Pancreator-crazy. :P

http://wiki.fadingsuns.org/index.php?title=Omega_Gospel_Passages
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:38:47 pm by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 89