Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 89

Author Topic: HOTRS II: Dead Roots Stirring Toxic Season 104AE  (Read 60989 times)

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
Re: House of the Rising Suns 2: a Wild Frigate appears
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:09 am »

(Rigos is going to have alot to come back to. And pretend to be suprised about. :l)
Raggle Fraggle

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:12 pm »

((@Sheb: I am against the recruitment effort. These untrained soldiers will die in droves in the crusade, collapsing our military and civilian morale and ruining what little stability we've gained these last two turns. The pillage-based payment model isn't any better: we want to annex these lands, not raid them; the ransacking will lead to an unholy amount of civilian opposition in the newly gained lands, damaged infrastructure and undisciplined soldiers.

To act like a horde is a step backwards from the modern state we were vying for and there is only so much of the planet for us to conquer: what do you intend to do with the now unruly soldiers once we are stranded in the ship building phase? While we are at it, granting themt titles and land will prove far more expensive than simply giving them a salary and, should it be mere propaganda, a rebellion will follow.

However, should you not go forward with that misguided move, I may well prove supportive of dispatching the regulars to conquer, not raid, the Xeno lands. As for the ships, if you are refering to spacecrafts, that is a big "don't even think about touching them"; the only ones around belong to the Triumvirate and the Church, both currently incredibly more powerful than us.))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:21:01 pm by Azthor »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2012, 01:13:39 pm »

((Nah, I mean good ol' wooden ships. Like the ones the church used.

As for the rest, our misunderstanding seems to stem from the fact that you look at that new continent as another country, whereas it's more like the Americas in 1500: a place teeming with native and riches that need to be purged and settled, not conquered.

By stating that soldiers will be paid in land and titles (and slaves), I'm actually helping prevent looting. Why kill and loot and destroy what will be yours? It's what William the Conqueror did, and it worked great for him. More to the point, it's what we did with the reaches: turn the soldiers into a police force and hand over titles to former officers.

Our superior technology mean we can crush the Xeno even with relatively raw recruit. That means we can save some regulars to defend our borders and crush the bandits.

Stability-wise, taking thousands of young hothead away from home should help stability if anything. And keeping regulars at home is a big help for stability.

Moreover, this isn't pillage. By handing out land and titles, I actually give an incentive for my troops to protect and make the best use of whatever we'll find. It's the way William the Conqueror did things, and it worked pretty good for him. It's also what we did in the Reaches: conquer them, then turn the army into a police force and hand titles to former officers. Should we raise normal troops, we would have to deal with decommisioning a lot of them afterward. Here, they'll automatically turn into settlers, settling our land. Ain't it beautiful?

Now, we shouldn't have those OOC conversation. I'll let you have the last OOC word, but then, we should interact IC))

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2012, 01:40:08 pm »

"Now, first things first. What crusade? Last I heard the church wasn't organizing any at this point. And second of all, There's a well-armed force of church forces that may not want interference " Tavius was surprised at the change of demeanor from Roim. And to be fair? He prefered the old one.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:37:58 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 17, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »

((Well, you were infiltrating the Church when they got the news, so I kinda assumed you knew and told us.))

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 17, 2012, 01:48:38 pm »

((Problem is, There was no news of it XD))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 17, 2012, 01:51:49 pm »

((What? How come I know about it then? The large continent full of Xenos with a Shipyard in it? It's written somewhere, let me dig the post))

((Edit: Here. It can safely be assumed that we know this, and the fact that the Church is recruiting Minor Houses for a Crusade, since we had you spying them at the time. ))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:55:13 pm by Sheb »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »

((Fair enough then. Just tell him that IC though :P))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »

((Well, except you did the spying, so you should be the one telling me. :p ))

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 17, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »

Sheb, I called for a meeting of minor nobles and lords, and you don't have info on where to go. Archon did not make any actual crusade calls yet.  You have knowledge of stuff happening, but please wait for me to tell you, ok? Right now your action is semi-meta. Wait for my reply.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:37 pm »

((Hmm, this is probably the best thing for Roim to do. Personally, I would have finished the roads and bandits before embarking on anything, though. Not that we have a choice now!

You're fortunate I trust you as a player Sheb, so I know this isn't an elaborate trolling attempt. :P

Other than that, I have no arguments against your actions. It's less of an invasion and more of a colonization effort.

Also, like Ardas said, no meta. We can retcon this to after, I suppose.))

----

Avery's listened to her husband set them on a new path, her scarred hand tapping on the seat of the chair. Later, she would have placed all that came from that moment to Tavius making an off color comment about how big Roim was...

To be fair, didn't she feel a shiver of excitement? Much like Roim, lately her measure had been less of the sword, and more of the press...impending Motherhood had begun to quell the warrior spirit. Listening to him, she too felt the call to arms.

Averys somehow knew the honeymoon was over. When he returned, she took her scarred hand in his hand (the one she had severed in their first duel), but if it bothered him, he did not flinch. Roim never flinched.

She took the 'thinking of the baby' with her usual stoicism.

"You should have talked to me about it first, love.

...but, it makes sense. The people want blood and glory, the cheers of the arena testament. We should give it to them. We'll need to be careful to leave a kingdom behind, though. Your new legion should bloody themselves on the Bandits, maybe. There's certainly enough of them..."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:42 pm »

((@Sheb: the IC part will probably have to wait, I have to take a plane in 1 hour. You hadn't specified which land they were getting, but still, have a look at the this:

Church: 20%
House Nova: 35%
Minor Noble Houses: 15%
Feudal Kingdoms: 5%
Primitive Xenos: 9%
unexplored/claimed:18,0%

That represents the total amount of land in the planet, rather than simply the known amount, hence, the "new continent" would have to fall  somewhere between the later two, probably the 5th, as you mentioned Xeno opposition.  Should you want something more akin to the New World, you'd have to go to the 6th. Alas, you underestimate how much opposition the Xenos in that 9% area of land can dish out; know that there are 409 non-Xenos in the planet and 300 Xenos in the planet; the Xeno outnumber our own population; if you send badly prepared rookies with medieval weaponry, they will be obliterated by the defenders and our folks will be none too happy at losing their youth))

((@Dwarmin: I will take a few regulars and end the bandit threat for once and for all, as well  as deal with the missing infrastrucutre, if you don't mind; I had several orders prepared to deal with most of our current problems))

Order (3 and 6 to 18 are to be announced by town criers on every community, small or large, in the realm; 17 and 18 should only be forwarded if it won't compromise the realm's food levels)

1. Order the construction of the Secret Police's HQ at an undisclosed location;
2. Contact Tavius for training, provided that he is alive; should he accept, he shall be generously rewarded.
3. Maintain the military's current rations and step up the training regime for the soldiers.
4. Personally tutor the new officers on advanced warfare.
5. Do the same for the governors, but on the ways of statesmanship.
6. Personally lead a campaign of extermination on the bandits, making an example out of them: only complete pacification is to be accepted and anything less than the total disbandment of the different bandit groups shall be met with fire. The power armoured soldiers will act as commandos, while two thirds of the regulars will be deployied as tactical squads, supported by vehicles. The remaining third is to be given patrol duty at core regions, assisted by the local police.
7. Arrange for the Reach's road network's completion.
8. Issue the police forces the best currently  manufacturable weaponry availiable.
9.  Order the implementation Basic Farming Economy in the Reaches.
10. Have the Reaches' Clerical Elementary Schools reworked into Pre-Enlightenment Elementary Schools.
11.  Fund the extension of the Ordos Medicae Guild to the Reaches.
12. Erect the Ordos Medicae Guild's headquarters in the capital. Do the same for the Police Forces.
13. Fund Basic Sanitation in the Reaches.
14. Continue the construction of the Massive Stone Colosseum.
15. Erect new colosseum's across the Reaches and fund the creation of new stables through which to supply the Gladiator's Guild with animals.
16. Approve the police's request for more strict laws, but forward a bill of rights granting the populace certain unalienable civil rights.
17. Try and bring both Medieval Mines to Pre-Enlightenment levels. Have 25% of the population dedicated to it.
18. Fund Pre-Industrialism Industry in the Reaches. Have 25% of the population dedicated to it, both in the Core Lands and in the Reaches.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:01:40 am by Azthor »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »

((And edited my post as well.))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 17, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »

((@Azthor: You've got permission, IC wise.

Also, Az raises some good points, Sheb...

Edit: Also, Azthor, you just did most of my actions for the turn. And you are not the ruler of the country yet. :P Uh, thanks? I approve of all those in my name. Since I'm the one that has to okay the money to spend on it.))
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:43:53 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 17, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »

((Woah ok Church,Rigos  and Adwarf happening tomorrow, i didn't have time on fathers day...Sheb you are approved, although the Church used Space Ships to Scout out the unkown lands and the shipyard was one for space ships. To the Church they are completely known, although all you know is that The Church prepared for a massive Expedition into yet unkown parts of the planet. OK i figure i covvered msot of that...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 89