Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noobie Embarking help~  (Read 490 times)

VladHatter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Noobie Embarking help~
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:16:40 am »

So I've been playing dwarf fortress for a short while now and I think I'm ready to tackle on magma for some magma smelters/metal industry. I use the lazy noob pack for the graphics and dwarf therapist but that's about all I use it for.  I've seen countless screen shots and tutorial videos of pros such as Sippy-Cup and Cpt. Duck.  However, I've noticed once thing that bothered me.  On the biome pre-embark screen, some of these pros I've witnessed are able to see the specific stone and/or soil type while I'm confined to "Deep Metal" or "Soft Soil" on my screen.

Does anyone know how to view the biome's specific qualities such as Loamy Sand, Dolomite, Gabbro, and ect. on the [re-embark screen? 

http://dwarf.amphibianaquatics.com/images/0006.jpg

here's an example of what I'm looking for.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noobie Embarking help~
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:29:09 am »

Those are from older versions of the game, in 40d you could see the exact makeup of the layers, but in 2010 you no longer can.

VladHatter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:08:38 am »

Oh okay, thanks for replying to my post.

I'm off to look for magma then. @_@

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:43 am »

Yeah, unless you have an actual volcano on your embark screen, you will just have to dig around a bunch and hope you hit magma without having to go too deep (you can always find the magma sea down at the bottom).   If you find igneous extrusion layers (obsidian, basalt, etc), it ups your chances of finding a magma pipe which can bring the heat up very close to the surface.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:51:04 pm »

Going right down to the bottom of the map and seeing how deep it is can give you a clue. With default worldgen parameters, the lowest layer comprises roughly half a dozen levels, and the layer above it about the same figure. After that it's anyone's guess how the caverns above are laid out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.