Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Anyone else feel DF really needs more goals than simple survival?  (Read 5271 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else feel DF really needs more goals than simple survival?
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 08:41:39 pm »

I don't believe DF is about survival, it's more about running a sandbox fortress and usually losing in the process.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2011, 04:41:34 am »

I think it would be annoying to have preset goals, i set my own goals and limitations in sandbox games.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 07:24:35 am »

I made a suggestion on item sinks earlier. Basically you would keep gathering resources to keep your fortress going. Currently you dont need anything other than food and booze to keep it running

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 09:01:31 am »

I made a suggestion on item sinks earlier. Basically you would keep gathering resources to keep your fortress going. Currently you dont need anything other than food and booze to keep it running

Well we should need to produce clothes, perhaps dwarves would get an unhappy thought from wearing clothes damaged through battle, thus making all of those socks plundered in battle still useful unless the person bled all over them, though the shirt/pants would be in tatters. After all, we HAVE to keep our socks. But in all seriousness clothing and leisure goods such as toys, instruments, and most importantly mugs should and will all have a purpose in the fortress some day. They may even become legendary through being passed down through a clan of warriors or something. But for right now we have to make due with what we have.

Personally I feel that if you need the game to give you a goal then you really need to find a different embark. Try moving away from embarks with multiple shallow and deep metals, with flux and no aquifer. Try finding something with a unique terrain feature, every world has to have something. If your fps can handle it find waterfalls and build secret fortresses behind them. Take a hint from oceanbridge and build a fort intent on connecting an island to the mainland. Build a fortress in a scorching desert while at war with the elves and fight polar bear mounted soldiers with a swarm of giant war scorpions. And when you have killed the last elf, carved that 3 z-level dining hall, or created the hoover dam while flooding half the map you can look at your fortress and comment on how it would be nice to have your enemies have to face an onslaught of catapulted rocks on a bridge a thousand feet up in the sky. Or that you're not quite sure what happens to a dragon dumped in a dwarf-made whirlpool.

TLDR: The game has no goals, so make your own goals that no game could even consider possible. Then attain those goals and flood them with magma.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2011, 06:05:33 pm »

Is there any way to breach through the sky?  It seems there is an upper limit.  Just wanted to know if it was possible to pierce the heavens or something.

As for goals?  Leave it as is for now.  I suppose there could always be an option to leave a fortress that has become self-sufficient on auto when it becomes a mountainhome.
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 06:25:13 pm »

Is there any way to breach through the sky?  It seems there is an upper limit.  Just wanted to know if it was possible to pierce the heavens or something.

As for goals?  Leave it as is for now.  I suppose there could always be an option to leave a fortress that has become self-sufficient on auto when it becomes a mountainhome.

Nope. Fun thing about the sky is it acts like a great big floor - You can actually build things connected to it, and they will be supported (by the sky nonetheless!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]