Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Anyone else feel DF really needs more goals than simple survival?  (Read 5296 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Anyone else feel DF really needs more goals than simple survival?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 04:57:29 pm »

That makes me wonder, some guy with the Genesis mod found that there were two islands, one predominantly human, the other Orcish, both were isolated. He chose the narrowest bits where the two islands were closest, and built bridges over to each other, sure enough, they were now connected.

Would it be possible to build massive walls around an area the world, and systematically flood it?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 05:01:03 pm »

That makes me wonder, some guy with the Genesis mod found that there were two islands, one predominantly human, the other Orcish, both were isolated. He chose the narrowest bits where the two islands were closest, and built bridges over to each other, sure enough, they were now connected.

Would it be possible to build massive walls around an area the world, and systematically flood it?
You'll need to go into fort mode to build it, and go into adventure mode to have the magma actually fill it.

DO IT, BRO

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »

It's on my list now >:]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 05:16:15 pm »

I like to embark from my embark. Once my fortress is more or less self sustaining I seal off the outside world and send out seven dwarves with a single pick and a single axe then put them to work building an above ground for on top of my subterranean fort and using a system of airlocks to ensure the two never come in direct contact. Then I send seven more into the first cavern layer to create a third mini fort and so on until all three caverns and the wilderness have been colonized.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:41 pm »

I like to embark from my embark. Once my fortress is more or less self sustaining I seal off the outside world and send out seven dwarves with a single pick and a single axe then put them to work building an above ground for on top of my subterranean fort and using a system of airlocks to ensure the two never come in direct contact. Then I send seven more into the first cavern layer to create a third mini fort and so on until all three caverns and the wilderness have been colonized.

Then make all of the dwarves in one fort berserk, release them into another fort, and begin the process anew.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 05:56:54 pm »

I hope Toady makes other civ's blisteringly hard to conquer, some people on this board need their ego's cut down a peg!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »

I hope Toady makes other civ's blisteringly hard to conquer, some people on this board need their ego's cut down a peg!
Unless elves can survive an endless rain of red, I'd say I have things handled  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »

And so sung the voices of bay12: Challenge accepted.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 06:03:58 pm »

It was a wise man who asked, just how much magma will solve this problem?

There is no escape.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 06:04:52 pm »

Well if it happens anything like world-gen fights do elves will be abysmally weak because they don't have metal.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 06:08:33 pm »

Well if it happens anything like world-gen fights do elves will be abysmally weak because they don't have metal.
I hope toady fixes world-gen fights before letting us unleash our legions of terror liberators up on the world. Right now it looks like a poor-quality "monk" movie.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 06:14:36 pm »

I don't think toady would go about making it harder than it would be with the current combat system (as in not changing it so that adequate goblin pikemen in copper gear stand a chance against a legendary swordsdwarf in full steel platemail), but I have faith that he will add some fine strategically-minded AI later on and permit other civs to raise armies from their actual population, and even involve historical figures in those armies displaying their actual skill sets, such as an old legendary adventurer you retired with the best available gear for his race. That would provide a challenge, especially depending on how you set up your own armies. (taking from your fortress' militia, which may be legendary and well-equipped, is a logical assumption, but being able or unable to find similarly well-prepared units from the rest of your civ would make it more challenging, along with how battles are fought and how you order them around.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

That's actually pretty clever.   :)

I'm all for sandboxy-ness.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »

The only person worthy of arrogance on this thread is DS.

He did conquer hell right?

Oh and the guy who invented mermaid farming.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 06:34:20 pm »

I know right! The nerve of some people, going around acting like they're so great, absolutely despicable! I bet something like that would really put them in their place!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5