Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Anyone else feel DF really needs more goals than simple survival?  (Read 5266 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only intended goals seem to be survival, and becoming a mountainhome should you choose to. I feel like as soon as i survive past the initial challenge of setting up and getting a thriving fort going, the game is done. You sort of sit there on your throne, and it's like well, hmm... *twiddles thumbs*

I'm aware there's the challenge of taking on hell (and further limiting yourself in various ways), but that doesn't change the end game really, just makes the fun initial stages harder. I wish there was the ability to send your armies out into the world to conquer or something on a grander scale like that. I feel like DF has so much more potential in this area.

Thoughts? Opinions? Slanderous remarks?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else feel DF really needs more goals than simple survival?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:10:11 pm »

You should try succession fortresses; they generally fail and are great fun.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »

Well, in the army arc you are going to be able to send out armies to CONQUER THE WORLD! (Or just those pesky elves...) In the meantime, you could attempt to make giant mega-projects and the like (Not that I've even gotten past the initial stage of surviving, so...)
Hello. Have a nice day.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:15:57 pm »

Well, in the army arc you are going to be able to send out armies to CONQUER THE WORLD! (Or just those pesky elves...) In the meantime, you could attempt to make giant mega-projects and the like (Not that I've even gotten past the initial stage of surviving, so...)

Haha that's badass, can't wait till Toady finishes that feature up.

I embarked in a haunted forest and set up in the caverns for this last fort, which was a blast fighting for survival and getting established, but now that i'm on my feet and have the capability to defeat most threats short of HFS or a FB with deadly dust or something, the fort's got nowhere else to go. Going out and fighting other civ's would be sweetness

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:26:16 pm »

Or a good way to get rid of excess population. Draft all the soapmakers and woodcrafters, give them a months training, and then send them out to conquer. If they succeed, they were worthy. If not, no one will miss them!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »

I enjoy my absolute power over the land, actually. There's nothing quite as sweet as sitting back, looking at the embark area after several in game years, and knowing that it, without a doubt, belongs to me. Invaders and cavern beasties that try to take it from me be damned!

Not that I'm against having more challenges getting to that point, of course. It would only make total control all the more satisfying. But too many clear cut goals, and the sandbox aspect of DF will be weakened, which I am certainly not in favor of.

On a side note, yes, I suspect the army arc will indeed contain untold amounts of badassery. Just imagine, one day, I may be able to liberate entire worlds from their sinister false leaders, and unite everyone under my benevolent and unquestionable rule!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:27:24 pm by King DZA »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:59:57 am »

Toady mentioned the possibility of scenarios in the last DF Talk.
Quote from: Toady One
Saying that your dwarves had a reason for embarking is a very realistic thing to ask, it's like 'What are you doing?' and even if that does proscribe some actions and encourage others, that's good, right? That's not bad necessarily. Of course you don't want to trammel people or anything , but I think that helps everybody and that's certainly something, like I said, we considered, with dwarf mode start scenarios and getting that fleshed out. It also helps you kind of see the roles of each of your dwarves when you're starting out; why they came and all that kind of thing. I think that's all cool for everybody.

Having the option of this sort of thing would be good. It'll be years before we get to conquer the world though.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:07:40 pm »

Also, there are mods like fortress defense, the orc mod, genesis and such that add content and difficulty to the game. Of course there are also mega-projects and succession forts as well.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »

We also need more ways of keeping score that are also hard to increase.

Something like indices that measure the "culture" of your fortress, or the level of "mountainhominess" it has achieved, or a way to quantify the epicness of your megaprojects would give these things a gamey rather than purely self-motivated and sandboxy feel.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:33:41 pm »

The army arc...

Dear Armok, I shall spread the word across dimensions. And we all know what the word is >:D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:04:56 pm »

The army arc...

Dear Armok, I shall spread the word across dimensions. And we all know what the word is >:D

Crundle?

Also, more on topic, self imposed goals and rules.

Winning.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 04:12:40 pm »

For now the only thing you can really do is to take on a challenge, do a megaproject or try a mod that makes the game harder (Fortress Defense is the main example).

I won't care if the army arc takes years to come as long as those scenarios are implemented not too long from now.

Either way, next version will be quite awesome by itself. Necromancer invasions, vampire infiltrators, self-ressurecting zombies...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »

The army arc...

Crundle?

Also, more on topic, self imposed goals and rules.

Winning.
Fine, I'll say it.

Your forests are now stone, the seas are filled with elven blood. No place shall be held sacred.

THERE

WILL

BE

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAA

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 04:21:38 pm »

Spoiler: TA DA! (click to show/hide)

Looking forward to sending legendary miners, catapult operators, marksdwarves, axedwarves, speardwarves and hammerdwarves to invade everyone within a 9000 mile radius of my Fort. And I mean everyone. Not even Legends mode shall be safe from my wrath.
Suppose we'll have to be content with the Necromancer invasions, vampire infiltrators, self-ressurecting zombies...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 04:24:51 pm »

Spoiler: TA DA! (click to show/hide)

Moving back on track, I will most definately be raiding the utter shit out of the world. Hell, I might even conquer it.
I wonder if I would be able to drain all the oceans, then flood the world with magma. Hmmm...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5