Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves/dwarfs not reclaiming forbidden items.  (Read 1296 times)

Mercutian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarves/dwarfs not reclaiming forbidden items.
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:55:03 am »

So i wanted to seperate my foodstuffs from my drink stuffs. Created a second stockpile to only accept drinks/barrels and forbid drink in the first stockpile.
No one wanted to move anything so i figured id DUMP the entire stockpile and let them sort it out. Made a dump between the two stock piles (like 6 tiles apart) and d-b-c the dump itself when they were done. Now no one wants to move anything out of the dump into their respective stockpiles. Im not sure if they take the foodstuffs from the dump when hungry but its creating a mass swarm of flies and im sure miasma will begin soon.

So what did I do wrong? im only day 4 into this game mind you and tutorials only go so far.

-EDIT- Issue resolved! Not quite sure how, more of a mix of all suggestions but ill definitely be more careful with my delegation in the future, thanks guys.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:08:24 pm by Mercutian »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves/dwarfs not reclaiming forbidden items.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:01:31 pm »

I've had problems getting dwarves to move food/drinks between stockpiles when reassigning.  You're probably best off leaving food stockpiles with all the standard settings for what's allowed to be stored in them. 

As for dumping and reclaiming, that sounds like it's probably the same problem/issue/bug that prevents them from moving stuff between stockpiles.

Make sure you have plenty of barrels to store stuff in?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Mercutian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 12:08:47 pm »

yea i have entire stockpiles full of barrels not being used. Whats weird is that it seems they dumped all the food and returned the barrels to the carpenters shop. I only have 8 barrels withheld for alcohol and whatnot. Well if its a bug then i can live with it i guess. just gonna have to restart if i cant find a way to take it all to the refuse zone, which trying right now seems not to be working. lol I wonder how history will write this on up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:10:49 pm »

Make sure you didn't accidentally turn off hauling of food in the Orders menu.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »

Set the second stockpile to take from the first.  The dwarves will clean out everything the second stockpile will accept.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

Mercutian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:21:24 pm »

Set the second stockpile to take from the first.  The dwarves will clean out everything the second stockpile will accept.

Im not sure what you mean by that.
Do you mean i can specifically delegate "Hey you, grab those wine barrels from out yonder and bring them hither"? or do you mean the q-s(disable all except what I want)

-edit- Yea orders are on. I think it corrected itself after some time. It seems the 15 nojob's suddenly decided they felt like eating after all.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:53:48 am »

Im not sure what you mean by that.
Do you mean i can specifically delegate "Hey you, grab those wine barrels from out yonder and bring them hither"? or do you mean the q-s(disable all except what I want)

If you press [q] and look at the building info for the stockpile, there's an option to [t]ake from another stockpile.  You simply press [t] then select a different stockpile to take from.  Here's the wiki link: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Stockpile#Take_from_a_stockpile

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:56:52 am »

Are you sure there are no hidden stones in the stockpile? That's the main reason usually...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »

Are you sure there are no hidden stones in the stockpile? That's the main reason usually...
That or the maximum number of barrels teh stockpile will accept is zero.

I've done this to myself a few times -- create a custom stockpile, then only select Food as acceptable, but forgot to change the barrel limit from the default zero to the maximum so nobody moved anything in a barrel to that location.  Nine in game months I bitched at my dwarves for not moving the food from the wagon to the pantry next to the legendary dining hall ... only to suddenly realize it was all my fault just as spring arrived.  >:(
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Mercutian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »

That or the maximum number of barrels teh stockpile will accept is zero.

I've done this to myself a few times -- create a custom stockpile, then only select Food as acceptable, but forgot to change the barrel limit from the default zero to the maximum so nobody moved anything in a barrel to that location.  Nine in game months I bitched at my dwarves for not moving the food from the wagon to the pantry next to the legendary dining hall ... only to suddenly realize it was all my fault just as spring arrived.  >:(

Excellent! thanks for that! I think I corrected that exact problem by chance. Ill look out for it from now on.