Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87274 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #915 on: April 04, 2012, 11:31:33 am »

I dislike the fact we did not use our chance to attack here guys we could have had those weapons platforms nullified.. but alas we will have to make the best of this, lets set a trap.

Have those fighters hide from the platforms near where the destroyers are going to be entering the debris and wait for them to move into the trap. Once they are getting attacked by their own platforms hit them with their torpedoes and ravenhawks. Back away from the platforms range and let the destroyers come in here.

Attempt a diplomatic solution while we wait for their ships to get in range. Ask them what is keeping them here. Tell them they will have more visitors if they stay and that we are not the only ones who will come, and not as peacefully as us.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 04, 2012, 01:42:34 pm »

"Urist, coordinate the Flarewise and Firestar, full burn up and out of this debris field. (I would assume that the field is more of a debris ring around the star from where ships have jumped in only to be destroyed by the platforms, with the debris of those ships continuing to have the same inertia, setting them in orbit, so moving on the y-axis should take us out of the field while mostly maintaining our position near the star in case we need to jump away for any reason, as well as getting us away from the platforms.)

Helios, see if you can cut in to any comms between the destroyers and the station. Don't interrupt or disrupt, just listen in."
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 04, 2012, 04:33:16 pm »

We're out-gunned and at a tactical disadvantage, we should just comply, pretend it was a misunderstanding, and come back later.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 04, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »

Setting about his work Zack, and five other mechanics had begun loading munitions into the drones to get them ready for combat, seeing the opportunity he told the men to continue the launching process for the drones and ran off towards the direction of his workshop. As he arrived he quickly laid eyes upon the mech suit he had been working on, and jumped into it, fastening straps, tapping a few buttons, and sealing the suit he got the systems online, and began to make his way towards the barracks. From there he could easily deploy with squads of foot-bound soldiers, and help repel any boarding attempts they may make.

Launch my drones, have them sit back and launch concentrated strikes against fighters, or incoming missiles. Once that is done put on the mech suit, and head to the barracks area to wait for orders to repel boarders.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 04, 2012, 08:43:22 pm »

We're out-gunned and at a tactical disadvantage, we should just comply, pretend it was a misunderstanding, and come back later.

Out-gunned, with the destroyers in the equation. But they're a long way away from us, about ten minutes with the Firestar, and we know that the Firestar is much faster than any standard ships, so a lot longer on the destroyer's part.

Also, with the weapons platforms' IFF scrambled, once they're allowed to shoot, they may start shooting at each other, and when the destroyers show up, at them. As well, we're moving while the station is deciding to give them orders to fire, so we'll be a ways away before they start opening up.

Delay and distract the station (Who I can assume would be giving orders), but not jump out.

Setting about his work Zack, and five other mechanics had begun loading munitions into the drones to get them ready for combat, seeing the opportunity he told the men to continue the launching process for the drones and ran off towards the direction of his workshop. As he arrived he quickly laid eyes upon the mech suit he had been working on, and jumped into it, fastening straps, tapping a few buttons, and sealing the suit he got the systems online, and began to make his way towards the barracks. From there he could easily deploy with squads of foot-bound soldiers, and help repel any boarding attempts they may make.

Launch my drones, have them sit back and launch concentrated strikes against fighters, or incoming missiles. Once that is done put on the mech suit, and head to the barracks area to wait for orders to repel boarders.

We have that internal boarding repelling system, remember? Also, it would be wise to wait to unleash the drones until we have a more tactically advantageous position, as they would only be following us anyways. Remember: The weapons platforms aren't shooting yet, there are no fighters anywhere near us, and we're out of range of missiles from the destroyers and station.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:33:46 am by PyroDesu »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 05, 2012, 01:37:47 pm »

I say we set a trap for those destroyers.  Use our drones to hide a few nukes behind peices of debris and then retreat behind our minefield.  Do not reply at all to their demands.  This will confuse them and they'll come to investigate, but probably won't come in guns blazing (maybe we didn't get the message?)  Then we set off the nukes in their faces!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:36 pm »

I say we set a trap for those destroyers.  Use our drones to hide a few nukes behind peices of debris and then retreat behind our minefield.  Do not reply at all to their demands.  This will confuse them and they'll come to investigate, but probably won't come in guns blazing (maybe we didn't get the message?)  Then we set off the nukes in their faces!

Do remember that we have seven nukes. We're going to need several for the ground installations, as well, Alec is taking one to the station, so we have a major limit on them. As well, do we really need to use nukes on the destroyers? Also, can missile warheads be set for use like a mine, or do you need actual mines for that?

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 05, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »

We've never fought a destroyer before.  I don't know if nukes are overkill or not.  Maybe we can use one nuke for the minetrap idea and at the very least we can probably blind their sensors to the barrage that we will then unleash on them!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 05, 2012, 02:20:39 pm »

I'm launching the drones now so I can get them into well hidden places throughout the asteroid ring, the drones aren't meant for head on assaults in such small numbers, and unless we use them strategically they'll be of little use. There fire orders are to protect us from anything they'll try next turn, but after that I'll be placing them in groups two Gatling gun drones, and a missile drone in one group, and the other will contain three Gatling gun drones, and a missile drone.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 05, 2012, 02:49:50 pm »

We've never fought a destroyer before.  I don't know if nukes are overkill or not.  Maybe we can use one nuke for the minetrap idea and at the very least we can probably blind their sensors to the barrage that we will then unleash on them!

A nuke will probably be enough to take out the station.

Stations can dock quite a few destroyers.

So yes, it is extreme overkill.

I'm launching the drones now so I can get them into well hidden places throughout the asteroid ring, the drones aren't meant for head on assaults in such small numbers, and unless we use them strategically they'll be of little use. There fire orders are to protect us from anything they'll try next turn, but after that I'll be placing them in groups two Gatling gun drones, and a missile drone in one group, and the other will contain three Gatling gun drones, and a missile drone.

So you want to use them in the same way that we encountered the hacker's drones?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 05, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »

Nope, I'm going to use them as stealth strike squads, they hit their target, and then disappear back into the asteroids to hide, I'm not going to throw them at the guys as fodder, and use them as mines after all its pretty costly to continually make the things. Though at the moment with only seven of the drones they got to be used to take out high priority targets, like boarding vessels, and bombers.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 05, 2012, 03:43:38 pm »

The fighters position themselves to ambush the destroyers as they enter the debris field.
A few drones join them amid the floating remainants and wait for they prey.

Attempt a diplomatic solution while we wait for their ships to get in range. Ask them what is keeping them here. Tell them they will have more visitors if they stay and that we are not the only ones who will come, and not as peacefully as us.
"What the hell are you talking about? We're house Laberine and this is our territory we can do what we like here without explaining ourselves to and have been here for decades! You think that debris field formed over night? But if you must know we're set up here because there is nothing worthwhile here so no one should be bothering to come through here. So what visitors are you talking about? Unless you're collaborating with the USL... Wait excuse me for a moment...,"
A differenet voice comes on "Juilius Cershin here from back in Tabien if you remeber me. I see you've got the Flarewise modded since last I saw it. But much and all as I wouldn't want to stick my nose in your buisness what the blazes are you doing here? You have two minutes to explain before we destroy your ship with a barrage of missiles,"

"Urist, coordinate the Flarewise and Firestar, full burn up and out of this debris field. (I would assume that the field is more of a debris ring around the star from where ships have jumped in only to be destroyed by the platforms, with the debris of those ships continuing to have the same inertia, setting them in orbit, so moving on the y-axis should take us out of the field while mostly maintaining our position near the star in case we need to jump away for any reason, as well as getting us away from the platforms.)

Helios, see if you can cut in to any comms between the destroyers and the station. Don't interrupt or disrupt, just listen in."
The ruins of ships are indeed orbiting in a ring so you have Urist direct the Flarewise and the Firestar clear.
"I can't pickup much that isn't heavily encrypted but they seem like they would prefer capturing us or forcing us to leave than killing us, I can't imagine why. Though may I suggest picking a system we want to jump out to so we can start calculating the jump now, you know in case things go wrong,"

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flarewise (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 05, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »

"We're going to die. I knew this was a bad idea."
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 05, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

Zack quickly accessed the Comm, and established a secure line to the Bridge as he spoke "This will be our only chance, we can't come back after this, because they'll know we came here for a reason, either way we are doing this, and we are going to survive. I have an idea on how to win, don't attack that Station, get us in close, and let me, and some of the men launch an assault to capture it once we have it under our control we will have the advantage."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 05, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »

Did anyone else notice that the star map is a .gif?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 71