Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87386 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #825 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:18 pm »

In fact, shutting down everything might be viable. We have a large ship and a fairly small crew, we should be able to survive without lifesupport (for some time).

Paranoia: The bomb won't be alone. Their might be others. Also since this is a disabling bomb, not a destruction bomb, we can expect being boarded shortly after it explodes. So prepare for that too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:31:17 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 26, 2012, 02:33:19 pm »

"Bill, shut down everything! Engineers, head into the cargo bay and grab your ATools. Everybody else, we're heading into navigation to turn every thing back on when the situation get's resolved. Urist and Bill, we will figure this out. C'mon everyone." Alec is red faced after yelling so much and leaves the rec room heading toward navigation.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 26, 2012, 02:37:56 pm »

"Security, get a report, and video surveillance of everyone that's entered or left this area, or the ship. If we can run some scans,and search for strands of DNA that could reveal the perpetrator."

Help disarm the bomb

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 26, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »

"All units, this is Captain Anderson speaking. Prepare for boarding attack, over."
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 26, 2012, 08:46:06 pm »

Alright well the offensive turrets are concentrated on the port side. We can armour that side later.

Which ship is this EMP on?
Quickly hand weapons to all crew. Turn off all systems possible. Have the mechanics check for motion sensors, if none are found toss the damn thing out an airlock. If not god help us and try and disarm it. Alternatively if we have an emp box somewhere toss it over the damn crate?
Do we have enough EVA suits for the crew? Its the future I figure their common. If so vent atmosphere in the outermost compartments.
Security teams, 1 to the bridge, another to the hanger/hold.
Have all non-essential crew positon defensively around the ship corridors.
Have several pilots climb in their fighters. If anything happens we want them out and ready to go when things come back online.

I must be honest though, these are space ships, so should they not be shielded from such things due to space already having stray electromagnetic waves all over the place? I just always thought EMPs in space were not very realistic. I'm not really complaining though, just felt I'd mention it.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 27, 2012, 05:06:04 am »

In fact, shutting down everything might be viable. We have a large ship and a fairly small crew, we should be able to survive without lifesupport (for some time).

Paranoia: The bomb won't be alone. Their might be others. Also since this is a disabling bomb, not a destruction bomb, we can expect being boarded shortly after it explodes. So prepare for that too.
Yep with the large space inside the Firestar and the small crew you have several hours where you can have everything off.
Intial checks for other such devices find nothing.

Shutdown all nonelectronical systems. That should offer them some protection.

>Me: RObert: Go and investigate. Attempt to disarm allowing for reusal of the bomb.
You shutdown everything (but again the engine of the Firestar has no obvious method to shut it off and you're forced to leave it idling)
The EMP device has a secure comunication tunnel to a remote activator, which seems to be...the Firestar's main computer?
Which now happens to be off as crew members grab small arms set up barricades and ready themselves for a possible boarding action.
A quick hack of the devices onboard computer gives you control but it does not reveal who put it there, why or if there are more.

Alright well the offensive turrets are concentrated on the port side. We can armour that side later.

Which ship is this EMP on?
Quickly hand weapons to all crew. Turn off all systems possible. Have the mechanics check for motion sensors, if none are found toss the damn thing out an airlock. If not god help us and try and disarm it. Alternatively if we have an emp box somewhere toss it over the damn crate?
Do we have enough EVA suits for the crew? Its the future I figure their common. If so vent atmosphere in the outermost compartments.
Security teams, 1 to the bridge, another to the hanger/hold.
Have all non-essential crew positon defensively around the ship corridors.
Have several pilots climb in their fighters. If anything happens we want them out and ready to go when things come back online.

I must be honest though, these are space ships, so should they not be shielded from such things due to space already having stray electromagnetic waves all over the place? I just always thought EMPs in space were not very realistic. I'm not really complaining though, just felt I'd mention it.
It's on the Firestar and you have EVA suits for twenty.

Indeed they are but the shielding doesn't need to be that good and the EMPs of the future are very powerful to the point where being anywhere near one when it goes off will likely kill you due to the shear amount of energy unleashed.
Few ships have the shielding to withstand such a powerful EM burst at close range.
(EMPs are one shot weapons because when they're fired they melt themselves down by doing so)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10:39 am »

... but hey, at least we got a free EMP!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:03 am »

When I heard the connected to the main computer I thought of you Armok >.> You didn't do it right?

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 27, 2012, 09:57:45 am »

Let's kill the EMP and turn everything back on. I don't like flying dead.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:20 am »

Objection: Someone got the Emp onboard. They probably wanted to board and takeover the ship. They got into our maincomputer( I doubt the Ai would have done it, the EMP would have wiped anything on board) So I propose we activate the backup generator( we have one of those, right) just to reactivate the lifesupport and sensors . COntinue searching.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:07 am »

Objection: Someone got the Emp onboard. They probably wanted to board and takeover the ship. They got into our maincomputer( I doubt the Ai would have done it, the EMP would have wiped anything on board) So I propose we activate the backup generator( we have one of those, right) just to reactivate the lifesupport and sensors . COntinue searching.

Fine. I'm for this even though we could end up searching all day and find nothing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:37:17 am by Gotdamnmiracle »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:26 pm »

Fine. I'm for this even though we could end up searching all day and find nothing.
It's better then not searching everything and being Emp'ed and boarded. Just do a small search, we don't want to dissassemble the entire ship.

Also, a complete unrelated idea for drone powering and propulsion , involving the Flarewise.
Spoiler: version A (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Plan B (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 27, 2012, 01:20:42 pm »

Yera, this, I'll serch the drives of the main computer using another computer with a different operating system and no connectivity to the ships network.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 27, 2012, 01:57:26 pm »

I doubt the Ai would have done it, the EMP would have wiped anything on board
Exactly!  An EMP is probably the last weapon an AI would use, since it would kill us and none of our targets!  So don't look at us.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:05 pm »

I doubt the Ai would have done it, the EMP would have wiped anything on board
Exactly!  An EMP is probably the last weapon an AI would use, since it would kill us and none of our targets!  So don't look at us.

I think our hacker friend sent us a present.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 71