Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87434 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #750 on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:53 pm »

'Well then lets resort to plan B, Nuke the hell out of the surface, two to four per compound.'

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 18, 2012, 08:09:41 am »

((So what determines when and if the punching-through will happen? Why doesn't the fast-moving nuclei jump away rapidly cooling it and lowering it's mass? Is there any way to MAKE them do that?))

Ok, nukes or impacts or anything like that wont do it. Making travel to and from it to hard might be the best way forward after all. Either making it to dangerous to jump to the star or by puting to much junk in orbit around the planet.

!!!
Idea! If we manage to disrupt the gravity of the star or put lots of debris in orbit... AND keep track of exactly how we did it, it should mean WE can jump there safely but it's to dangerous for anyone else! Essentially, it acts as a password, which let us use it as a safe haven where we can't be followed, or sell it for the price of whatever the entire star system is worth!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 18, 2012, 08:12:45 am »

((So what determines when and if the punching-through will happen? Why doesn't the fast-moving nuclei jump away rapidly cooling it and lowering it's mass? Is there any way to MAKE them do that?))

Ok, nukes or impacts or anything like that wont do it. Making travel to and from it to hard might be the best way forward after all. Either making it to dangerous to jump to the star or by puting to much junk in orbit around the planet.

!!!
Idea! If we manage to disrupt the gravity of the star or put lots of debris in orbit... AND keep track of exactly how we did it, it should mean WE can jump there safely but it's to dangerous for anyone else! Essentially, it acts as a password, which let us use it as a safe haven where we can't be followed, or sell it for the price of whatever the entire star system is worth!
Problem is if anyone jumps into the system and is blown up by the debris his ebris might disturb the password.
Can't we just detonate a few nukes in the higher atmosphere, frying all their electrical systems and then let them die?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 18, 2012, 11:29:37 am »

Purchase ten miniguns, or similar light weapons with ammunition for them, and 5 missile pods with six of the cheapest missiles for each.

I'd like to have more, but I'd like your guys consent before I buy more then fifteen weapons, and ammunition for those.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 18, 2012, 04:26:16 pm »

I'm fine with it.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 18, 2012, 05:17:33 pm »

Lets move this forward, mount two point defense guns to each ship.
Then we make for Braben Hall.

On the topic of the plan, I think we should just fire on them. A bunch of nukes would do it. Screw the fallout, nukes do pack a punch. If we harass or can eliminate them they should go away.

We have bombers and fighters, are any of our craft capable of atmospheric flight, and able to break free of gravity after they attack?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:50 pm »

I'm NOT fine with it until I get a concrete account for what use they'd be.

Also, we got a description of the place, and it made it very clear nukes would do absolutely nothing. Unless we want to lay in wait for months attacking anything they send at us, we're going to have to do some clever teraforming-type operation or another.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 18, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »

The Missile Drones will be of use as they'll be much smaller then us, and with the right changes I can get it where their detection will be near impossible. In this way they can act as long range bombardment, ambush units for larger ships, cover fire to distract Point Defense Turrets, and cover for the Minigun Drones to close in on smaller enemy craft.

As it stands we don't have the forces, or enough Point Defense Turrets to completely block enemy fighters/boarding vessels, and these drones will be perfect for taking down such forces as well as harassing larger targets, while being hard to hit themselves. Small arms fire from the Minguns might not be effective on larger ships, but they'll work on fighters, bombers, and the like, so they'll be perfect for when our fighters are outnumbered, and don't have the ability to completely defend our ship from said fighters, and bombers.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 18, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »

Armok - What are you not fine with? Can we just get to Braben Hall first? We have quite a bit of running around and turrets needed before we can even try this mission.

Also I took Helios's comment as that the nukes effect on atmosphere would be negligible, didn't realize it also meant the compounds would be fortified from a tactical nuclear strike.

Adwarf - We are going to have 4 Point Defense Batteries per ship. It should be enough.. Not to mention all the fighters we have. We don't really have room for the drones I believe..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:17:22 pm by Immortal »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 18, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »

He hasn't defined the space, so they should fit, and I didn't plan on putting all of them together just yet. I only planned to make two minigun drones, and 1 missile pod drone for now, the supplies for them could be stored in the corner out of the way until we need to remake them, or something else. Also as I stated that is not the only place they can be of use, and as long as I don't put all of them together we can store the parts for them on the ship.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #760 on: February 19, 2012, 01:03:57 am »

Why the hell do they even want to live on this planet? Is it merely for the location? Is there some rare resource there? We should probably figure this out somehow before we do anything.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 19, 2012, 02:06:08 am »

I agree. I would like to find a planet with liquid water at best and no toxic gas at least. I also agree we should try and figure out a permanent solution to kicking those guys out of the system. How about we paint up our ships to look like the house that wants this done and just fly through there, hail them when we see them and just casually mention that we patrol all of the systems in that area between telling them to fuck off. If things go south I think we have enough fire power to deal with them at the moment and we can always probe them and decide once we know what we are dealing with.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 19, 2012, 09:05:32 am »

@adwarf: Oh, sounds fine then, go ahead and do that.

@all the plans for this mission: none of those things are likely to work!
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 19, 2012, 09:14:38 am »

@Armok: Yeah. I really don't know how to tackle this one. Maybe a vote or poll? Or play it by ear.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:35 am »

We definitely need to send the probe in first. I think we approach with no lies, open communication and see what they say. We will just ask them what they are doing and stuff, why they settled. We have no real way to destroy them so we can't make a speed attack.

Jerick - A poll would be nice. Oh and lets get to Braben Hall. Don't buy things there though unless someone seconds the purchase.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 71