Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87458 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #735 on: February 16, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »

Edit: Disregard.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:54:24 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 17, 2012, 06:00:52 pm »

Do we happen to know which house, and what we may be missing out on if we make enemies with that house?

Yay! Nukes! Can't wait to get to Braben Hall. 200 Interceptors and Ravenhawks too haha.
"House Daminal, they are the defacto rulers of a number of systems neighbouring the systems ruled by house Laberine. They have a long history of petty squables. But if they get pissed at us they can make it next to impossible to cross their territory,"

So what is the thing we have to blow up? If it's an asteroid or something nukes could work, or tugging it into it's star. If it's a planet we probably can't nuke the entire thing, and if it's an orbit the best solution is probably filling it with relativistic hard-to-detect debris.
"It's a number of surface based bases, should be no more than four. They're a number of seperate compounds put there to act as listening posts and resupply depeots. They're pressence there makes house Laberine nervous,"

It's space, there's already tons of radiation.

And I mean blowing the place up before they get there so there's nowhere for them to settle.

Hmm... get someone looking into if there's any way to make a star system to dangerous to jump into while allowing jumps out of it.
That is both easy and very difficult.
All you need to do is spread a lot of debris around the star where ships will jump but getting enough to have any hope of hitting anyone is difficult if not impossible.
If you change the gravity of the star system in any noticable way it'll mean all attempts to jump in will fail (resulting in death) but jumps out (which can account for the changes) will still work.
Again impossible to you because of the sheer scale involved.
Aside from that if you can figure out a way to stop ships jumping in from slowing down (or accelerate them) they'll be forced to jump out with no vector.

The party is begining to wind down as your smuggler friend arrives at Galvenn four with your delivery.
He charges you 5,292c and thanks you for your custom.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flarewise (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 17, 2012, 06:18:28 pm »

I have a bunch of ideas for the disabling the entire star system thing but they all rely to much on details it's not reasonable to expect to exist in a simple forum game like this and boil down to basically "*exactly* how does jumping work?"

How practical is it to find some comets or something, push them onto a collision course, and then mildly blowing them up so you have hundreds of individual chunks all still on collision course with the planet but to far apart to blow up or redirect more than one at a time? Even if it takes a few weeks or moths for them to hit it should instantly discourage any base building at the places where they will.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 17, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »

How practical is it to find some comets or something, push them onto a collision course, and then mildly blowing them up so you have hundreds of individual chunks all still on collision course with the planet but to far apart to blow up or redirect more than one at a time? Even if it takes a few weeks or moths for them to hit it should instantly discourage any base building at the places where they will.
Hmm... that would take quite a comet, seeing as they're mostly made of ice and dust.  I think a meteor would work much better, preferably one made largely out of iron...

Even a 100 meter diameter iron asteroid would probably devastate any structure within several miles of impact.  It's impact would release approx. 100 megatons of energy. (Compare to a modern thermonuclear warhead's yield of around 10-50)
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 17, 2012, 07:03:12 pm »

I hate to say it but I think our best bet is to knock a few heads or make it look like someone has already taken residence there. Generally the more complicated it is the more likely it is to fail.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 17, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »

Search the Stores, and Black Markets for any, and all Miniguns, Missile Pods, etc. (Any Weapon I can use to make Drones basically)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 17, 2012, 07:14:58 pm »

/\ bingo /\ I think this will be our best bet.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 17, 2012, 07:21:45 pm »

Hmm... that would take quite a comet, seeing as they're mostly made of ice and dust.  I think a meteor would work much better, preferably one made largely out of iron...

Even a 100 meter diameter iron asteroid would probably devastate any structure within several miles of impact.  It's impact would release approx. 100 megatons of energy. (Compare to a modern thermonuclear warhead's yield of around 10-50)
I think comets tend to be bigger and easier to find and heard around? Might be wrong about that thou. I KNOW they are easier to blow up into many smaller chunks.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 17, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »

We could do some Orbital Bombardment with our Railguns, and Heavier Shipboard Weapons (We'd need some damn precise targeting though). Of course if you give me some time, and supplies I can create a couple dozen drones, and we can use them in combination with a land based force to destroy each compound one by one.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »

Whats wrong with just nuking the place?  It worked well last time...
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »

It ruins a perfectly good planet we can use as a Space Hideout later

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 17, 2012, 07:46:03 pm »

It doesn't ruin all of it.  Planets are big places.  We could still make a hideout somewhere else on the planet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:07 pm »

It doesn't ruin all of it.  Planets are big places.  We could still make a hideout somewhere else on the planet.
It ruins a big part of it though, and we need most of it if we are to turn it into a haven for ourselves, and other shadier people as well. If we can build a hidden city on that planet then we can make tons of money, and get more supplies for less then we usually would. It'll take some time, but it'll be worth it.,

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19:01 pm »

I have a bunch of ideas for the disabling the entire star system thing but they all rely to much on details it's not reasonable to expect to exist in a simple forum game like this and boil down to basically "*exactly* how does jumping work?"
Lets see if I can explain this without invoking too much noodle science...
It's down to the effect gravity and acceleration have on space and time.
Large masses bend space and time and objects at relatvistic speeds are capable of 'punching through' the distortion this causes.
In effect the object travels to the next distortion of similar size in the object's path via spatial dimensions we cannot measure, in other words it forces the object to travel in a direction we can't normaly comprehend.
The distance between two points in the usual dimensions we precieve in our day to day lives is irrelevant to the other distances between those same two points and an object forced through these other spatial dimensions will always take the path of least resistance to the first place it can punch back in.

(Darr! I dislike explaining stuff with physics I don't fully understand and this explaination has plenty of rubbish in place of actual science. Urrg this is going to bug me for weeks or however long it'll take me to come up with a better explaination so expect this to get retconned at some point)
Getting the debris on course should be pretty easy, but the planet itself has a thick atmosphere and most bases and installations have emergency shelters in case of meteor impacts (on a great number of worlds they're a common hazard) and tend to be built to be pretty tough in systems where they aren't keeping an eye on the movements on all potentialy cataclysmic objects.
Not that that means they'll survive.

Search the Stores, and Black Markets for any, and all Miniguns, Missile Pods, etc. (Any Weapon I can use to make Drones basically)
Any type of light turret can be used to make drones (with the exception of the boarding clamps and the harpoon launcher), there are some cannon and point defense turrets available here in Galvenn but in Braben Hall there are a whole host more for sale.

Helios chimes in on the converstation "I'll just describe this place briefly: it's a large, volcanically dieing, high grav, cold, dusty world where vast moutains and craters filled with microscopic beads of glass dot the freezing terrain. It's thick atmosphere contains a number of chemicals poisonous to you humans and none of that vital oxygen you're so reliant on. Nuking it will make it a slighly more attactive place, if only for a few moments. It's a total hellhole and there in lies the problem, how do you convince people who've already decided it's worth it to operate in such a place to leave?"

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »

Let's burn it. We can find a better planet. I say we fire on them with solid scrap from low orbit and if there is a ship in orbit we knock it out and try to position it so it will drop on them. Or if they haven't settled there yet we hit them with ravenhawks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:26:28 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71