Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87580 times)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2012, 04:38:59 pm »

Were in a new system lets find some stuff out!
Check the Galvenn station's job listings for anything that goes in our direction back to Tabien.
See if there are any AI's that are in the network who want computer time, tell them we have a ship back in Tabien it can stay on, also leave a subtle hint of our intention to find the AI Liberation Front..
Also search the listings for cheap broken fighters, good fighter engines, parts, scraps, anything at all!

We need to restock too!
30 Interceptors (600 Credits)
26 Cannon rounds (156 credits)

As for our cargo ship, we need to decide our plans, are we leaving Tabien? If it will always be support and storage for Firestar? Or should we weaponize it? Shall it become a moving mainframe or a fighter bay? If we are to be fighters and mercs we should atleast add more point defense, we can bring it to Galvenn, it'll be cheaper here to have it installed.

Jerick - Could we buy the cooled plate armour to make our remote fighter almost invisible when we let it drift? Or how can we accomplish this?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2012, 05:47:55 pm »

Buy all the hounds as well. And a torpedo or two.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »

Currently available contracts:
Catch a sabatour; 3405 credits
Search neighbouring uninhabitated systems for pirate base; 15,230 credits
Carry a passanger to Vrinis; 6350 credits (twelve jumps)
Find client's son who has run off to become a pirate and convince him to come home; 870 credits
Deliver a crate of precious cargo to Braben Hall 3560 credits
Help survey asteroids 1039 credits
Catch a spy involved in industrial espionage 5230 credits

There are two AIs here, one is running the station's traffic control and is satisfied with her current work.
The other is a little talkative for an AI and is intialy intrested in the prospect of free computer time but backs out explaining  "No offense but that sounds more like a cage than a home, personaly I want stuff to do even if it's just watching the hustle and bustle of people going about their busniess on a station. Alone in a mainframe hidden in that garbage heap of a system doesn't sound like anything I'm desprate enough to do yet. A big part of it is data couriers and other ships so rarely travel through there, I'd effectively be stuck. And here's the real clincher for me, and again no offensive, but I kinda don't trust some guys riding around in a goddamn destroyer when they randomly turn up and offer me free computer cycles out of the goodness of their hearts. I've been around too long to think even other AIs are that kind without something to gain,"

The Digital Rights Front is an open and public organisation their headquarters are in the Ilbrier system where they have an office.

There aren't any broken down fighters you can find for sale on the black market (fighters are considered offensive weapons and need special permits to buy and sell and there isn't much demand on the black market for something that doesn't work) however on looking for fighter parts you come across a wide variety (90 credits per unit) and several fighter engines (350 credits each).

(Speaking of your cargo ship could you guys come up with a name for it? If only to help prevent further confusion like when the destroyer found it)

When considering stealth a few very important things to keep in mind are; all electronics generate heat (depending on what their doing this could be a little or alot), heat takes a long time to disapate in space(because in reality it can't disapate into space as there is nothing there to pass the heat into) so anything that generates heat on a space craft will still have a visible effect long after it's turned off and finialy engines generate a huge amount of heat.
With that in mind with the longer you leave it drift the harder it will be to detect, with or without the plates.
The plates will make it significantly harder to detect, whether or not you can get it to almost invisible is up to how you use it.

Buy all the hounds as well. And a torpedo or two.
Missile buying spree!
Ravenhawks, interceptors, hounds, torpedos are delivered to the Firestar through nefarious channels and contacts in large quantities.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2012, 07:20:21 pm »

With all this talking about heat not being magicked away how come the http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacewardefense.php#radiators we need for dispersing it hasn't come up in the tactics?

Also, I say we look for the pirate base... like cowards. We make sure that as soon as we find it we can run the **** away, and if we don't find it fairly easily we just cut our losses and accept the wasted time rather than trying something reckless.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2012, 07:53:29 pm »

Ahaha I love missiles! Haha can't wait to say "Fire everything!", should be fun. I think were good though now, if we need more we should go to Braben Hall.

I think we should go get our cargo ship, or at least do something with it..

For the name of the Cargo ship and to get the naming going, how's Flarewise?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:03:14 pm by Immortal »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »

With all this talking about heat not being magicked away how come the http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacewardefense.php#radiators we need for dispersing it hasn't come up in the tactics?

Also, I say we look for the pirate base... like cowards. We make sure that as soon as we find it we can run the **** away, and if we don't find it fairly easily we just cut our losses and accept the wasted time rather than trying something reckless.
An excellent question; the reason is mostly I didn't think too much about it and didn't want to flood you guys with info.
The Firestar's radiators are many and retractable, mostly located along your vunerable sides.
Quantum leaps in material science has allowed for the creation of super effective heat sinks, the Firestar has several hundred of these and can last several hours with it's radiators retracted.
It's the kind of system most military vessels use (if you catch a military ship by surprise it'll have it's radiators out) but civilian ships don't have as many heat sinks nor retractable radiators.

Contract details:
Prospectors in the area have been attacked regularly in nearby systems and suspect there is a significant pirate base from where they're launching their attacks.
Despite frequent reports to the local military forces nothing has been done to flush out the pirates.
The clients want you to search three systems where they suspect the base is located.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

Sneak attacks are super effective. Got it.

And what's the prospects of searching first, without commiting, and if we find it demand payment for the information?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »

Okay, lets do it! I was thinking we would just do the pirate base once we got our cargo ship anyways.

Armok whats your thoughts on the Cargo ship, I think give it some missile tubes and have it come join us? Saves the firestar a trip.. Or have it make a run for the Galvenn system?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:40:35 pm by Immortal »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »

And what's the prospects of searching first, without commiting, and if we find it demand payment for the information?
It's less a contract and more an open offer to pay for information.
So long as you can tell where it is they'll pay.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »

Before we take any missions, I think we should get a stealth probe, so we can get intel on any ships we notice before they come into weapons range.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #475 on: January 29, 2012, 02:51:51 am »

We should acknowledge the AI's suspiciousness. "Yeah, alright, we're pretty sketchy. But if you change your mind, we'd be happy to have you. and Don't worry about work, I'm sure we could find plenty to keep you busy.

As for tasks, inquire as to the details of all of them but don't accept commisions for any. Catch a sabatour, Search neighbouring uninhabitated systems for pirate base, Find client's son who has run off to become a pirate and convince him to come home, Help survey asteroids, and Catch a spy involved in industrial espionage are all good ones to find the details on. The info for the boy who became a pirate might also give us important clues.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 29, 2012, 08:32:46 am »

"I'll keep that in mind. Why have you decided to setup an AI homeless shelter any way?"

Catch a sabatour;
Security teams aboard the shipyard have recently found and disabled explosive devices planted at critical locations.
Several ships left the station just before the discovery the client wants you to find them all.
They're currently in system as due to this event the local military are watching the jump point for any attemp for these ships to leave.

Search neighbouring uninhabitated systems for pirate base;
Prospectors in the area have been attacked regularly in nearby systems and suspect there is a significant pirate base from where they're launching their attacks.
Despite frequent reports to the local military forces nothing has been done to flush out the pirates.
The clients want you to search three systems where they suspect the base is located.

Carry a passanger to Vrinis;(twelve jumps)
A passanger wants urgent passage to the Vrinis system and is willing to pay bonuses for finding ways to get there faster.

Find client's son who has run off to become a pirate and convince him to come home;
The client's son and some of his friends have stolen a shuttle and seem convinced they can make a fortune by boarding and taking a larger ship despite their lack of combat expirence.
The client understandably wants his son unharmed and believes he's hiding in the astroid belt.

Deliver a crate of precious cargo to Braben Hall;
There are a number of criminal organisations that do not to see this cargo delivered, it'd be best if you could reach the system attacting as little attention as possible.

Help survey asteroids;
The quota of mineral bearing asteroids discovered demanded by mining companies is hard to fill and the client risks loseing his contract due to being way down on the quota.
He's willing to pay for people to give his numbers a last minute boost by finding mineral rich asteroids for him.

Catch a spy involved in industrial espionage;
Some one has broken into the research outpost's computers.
Due to the nature of the research outpost's file storage this can only be done localy.
They want your help to set a trap that will provoke the spy into making a run for it.
The client wants you to be stationed outside the research station and intercept anything that tries to take off.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 29, 2012, 11:16:42 am »

I say we take that research job first, sounds like good money, or even some advanced tech? It is a research base. The pirate base job sounds decent as well.

As for the Flarewise(Cargo ship) can people please just decide? We can't ignore our other ship, and we need a name..

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #478 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:53 pm »

The cargo and personnel transport are kinda out of the way. Do any of the others overlap? like are the asteroids mentioned in the runaway kid and the prospecting the same asteroids? And can we scan asteroids with the equipment we have? If RPG's have taught me anything, it is that you should always grab every quest, just in case you complete one on accident.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 29, 2012, 12:27:36 pm »

We can't take all the jobs. If we just take them and never do them we will be leaving many clients unpleased.. Lets pick between the Pirate Base or Research Facility. Also if we complete one inadvertently we can just go get the reward, or we will just withhold the info/person/object.

Have the cargo ship make its way to the Galvenn system.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 71