Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87570 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #435 on: January 26, 2012, 08:16:46 pm »

(Except you couldn't do that in practice, because between mayor systems couriers would likely depart every few seconds, and as soon as they arrive important data like that would be transferred to outgoing ones to all connected systems, etc. Being able to put a request on a courier and get the requested data back on another one minimum latency is critical for there to even be such a thing as a browsing experience. )
But there isn't an interstellar internet, each star system has it's own little internet which occasionaly gets bits of information from the surround system networks via data couriers.
That was why when you searched (way back near the start of the thread) for information on the parts the Firestar was built out of you couldn't get much because the information wasn't on the Tabien internet.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 27, 2012, 08:14:11 am »

(I'm saying there not being an interstellar internet when such a thing is at all possible is unrealistic)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:07 am »

How about lets get paid? I don't see an increase to our credits in our list. Also are we anywhere we can buy more ammunition? If no just jump back. On our way back have the Firestar crew work on possibly strapping a single box missile launcher to the remote fighter (1 missile hanging, think current jet fighters).

Question to the others - Shall we rip up the knell fighter and make it remote (faster, agile, no loss of life)?

For the cargo ship have it hang around the station, have the crew continue taking a manifest, what exactly is the heavy machinery? Factory machines or loaders and crawlers? See if the crew can sell some of the luxury goods, and or set up an awesome hangout area using them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:13:03 am by Immortal »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 27, 2012, 10:03:59 am »

(I'm saying there not being an interstellar internet when such a thing is at all possible is unrealistic)
Breaking the speed of light in a graveity well makes you poof to another position in the universe, your engine ignores thromodynamics, in the course of this game you have gone from to the edge of the system right up to the star in a couple of days with no time dilation or negative effects from the star itself and transmissins can cross the entire system instantly.
While I try to abide by realism because it makes it easier to get straight in my head how everything interacts, that doesn't mean I won't abandon it when it suits and have already done so at several points.
Now if you want a reason why there isn't an interstellar internet then there are several; data couriers are expensive (a busy system would see one every few days) and the noble houses that are the lords of territory in the feudal system of the Collective of Imperial Worlds resist efforts to improve comnications as they feel it'll erode their power.

Spoiler: Here (click to show/hide)
A very rough political map (well overdue), you are the small yellow dot near in the lower right, the small white dot near the top is the capaital of the CoIW, each segement belongs to a different house.
Many houses resent each other and frequently make it troublesome for data couriers to reach their rivials.
Data couriers belonging to the CoIW can't go through the USL territories at the centre and have to go round dodging interhouse politics as they go.
You'll also probably notice what the international tensions are really about by looking at that.

How about lets get paid? I don't see an increase to our credits in our list. Also are we anywhere we can buy more ammunition? If no just jump back. On our way back have the Firestar crew work on possibly strapping a single box missile launcher to the remote fighter (1 missile hanging, think current jet fighters).

Question to the others - Shall we rip up the knell fighter and make it remote (faster, agile, no loss of life)?

For the cargo ship have it hang around the station, have the crew continue taking a manifest, what exactly is the heavy machinery? Factory machines or loaders and crawlers? See if the crew can sell some of the luxury goods, and or set up an awesome hangout area using them.
You haven't jumped yet since once you jump you can't contact the cargo ship, I was waiting for an agreed upon action for it before having the ship jump.

Deciding to have the cargo ship wait safetly around the station you inquire about the merchant's jump calculations.
They seem to have a problem with them the computer keeps recalculating the jump each time it's nearly finished.
Yours aren't working ethier.
While your working on the problem Juilius Cershin's destroyer arrives on sensors.
In what looks like a malfunction it preforms a sudden and unexpected emergency brake.
For one reason or another it's exterior cargo bay doors were open and crates of all sizes and descriptions fly out when it suddenly declerated.
They fly fast and true towards the star, melting in it's heat as they approch.
"Well crap...any of you guys catch any of those?"

It mostly factory machinary but there are two packed loaders in there as well.
The luxury goods fetch a nice price of 3,452 credits even with keeping one crate to decorate a rec room.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo Vessel (click to show/hide)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 27, 2012, 10:13:04 am »

So that was the dangerous thing.

By the order of the light, I do bless Julius and proclaim him a true human.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #440 on: January 27, 2012, 10:15:45 am »

See if we can have our fighters catch any of the items.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:16 am »

See if we can have our fighters catch any of the items.
Neither fighters have much higher heat tolerance than the crates that are begining to melt.
Besides the most the drone could do is nudge them.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:52 pm »

Aren't both of our fighters being repaired at the moment anyway?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:28:55 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #443 on: January 27, 2012, 12:33:05 pm »

tether missiles, perhaps?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 27, 2012, 03:46:44 pm »

Aren't those technically illegal? I mean, we did get them from the black market, so do we really want to use them in front of Julius?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #445 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:32 pm »

He won't know whether we got them off the black market, or if we had a weapons license. Of course, he might ask to see it.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 27, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »

Aren't those technically illegal? I mean, we did get them from the black market, so do we really want to use them in front of Julius?
Lol!  Yeah, that would probably be a bad idea.

I think he would suspect very much that we don't have a license.  After all, we did tell him that we just randomly picked up this ship in a scrap heap.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #447 on: January 27, 2012, 04:04:52 pm »

Hey, if we get the crates I'm sure he'll forgive us. Besides, if he knows we're fighting off pirates he knows we've got black market stuff.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »

I think we should have the cargo ship outfitted with some missile tubes while we jump? How much does say 2000 credits fetch?
Can you describe the cargo loaders, are they bipedal, quadraped, wheeled?
Also could we set up the factory machinery to make us fabrication parts? If we can have them set up a line or something.

I think those crates are done for. Apologize and ask him what happened.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 27, 2012, 05:35:43 pm »

Erm...
Don't we already have 300 missile tubes?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71