Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87564 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #405 on: January 25, 2012, 10:20:44 am »

Mmhm. Maybe we could tell them we had been working on fixing the ship after we found it? We could say we just found it and only managed to patch it with the help of an AI. Don't say the whole truth, but don't say the whole lie.
Jup, seems good, though we'll probably have to hand it over
Who's idea was it to tell the military about the cargo ship anyway?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 25, 2012, 10:21:42 am »

*points vagely into the direction of others*
Not me, I wasn't posting back then. I just signed up and watched the thread until now.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 25, 2012, 11:18:49 am »

(Has the destroyer already spotted the cargoship: if so we have a problem) If not, try to hide/jump away.
It's undoubtly got way better sensors so if you see it odds are it could see you for the last while.

Mmhm. Maybe we could tell them we had been working on fixing the ship after we found it? We could say we just found it and only managed to patch it with the help of an AI. Don't say the whole truth, but don't say the whole lie.
Juilius Cershin sends his response "It's a sad testament to my faith in humanity that the moment I told you not to get involved with a ship reported to contain dangerous cargo and let the authorities handle it, I knew you'd beat me to it. You'll be intrested to know that while that client on the station you pointed me to could produce ownership credentials they were an exisite forgery. So if you captured that ship on behalf of that client know that you captured it from it's rightful owners in a manner that wonderfuly underscores my problems with reckless vigilatism. And while it's possible that someone else attacked it for the contract that still doesn't explain what it's doing in the middle of nowhere. If you wouldn't mind transmiting us the ships manifest, I want to see what this dangerous cargo is, if it even exists,"

In that case, FIRE AWAY! RAVENHAWKS ON THE TWO BOARDING SHUTTLES!
Are you sure? They've latched on to the merchant and that could significant damage to the ship your escourting.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 25, 2012, 11:21:00 am »

I'm terribly confused about what's going on, but we should take note of the fighter that lost it's pilot and try intercepting it once the fight is over.

Those mainframes mentioned might be a good idea to have on the Firestar if we're going to house AI later and don't want to use the battle computers for that.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 25, 2012, 11:22:52 am »

Nevermind. If the intercepters won't do damage to the merchant, shoot zem with zat!
If it will, shoot scrap at it.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 25, 2012, 11:24:36 am »

I'm terribly confused about what's going on, but we should take note of the fighter that lost it's pilot and try intercepting it once the fight is over.

Those mainframes mentioned might be a good idea to have on the Firestar if we're going to house AI later and don't want to use the battle computers for that.
Simple, the authorities found our cargo ship and now we're going to have to hand it over.

Also, fire the shuttles with the weapon that 'd do the least amount of damage to the cargo ship. Can we use the thether anchors to pull them off?

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:56 pm »

Have them inform the Destroyer that we were hunting for the drones that had been attacking the ships when we stumbled upon this cargo ship.

Then say we were attempting to repair it in order to bring it back to the station.

Also comply with his demands, I think they have us outgunned over there.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #412 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »

^^^^^

Also we don't want to fuck with the authorities.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »

Have them inform the Destroyer that we were hunting for the drones that had been attacking the ships when we stumbled upon this cargo ship.

Then say we were attempting to repair it in order to bring it back to the station.

Also comply with his demands, I think they have us outgunned over there.
I say we keep our info more vague.
Say we found the ship in a disastrous condition(one stray spark could have blown it up) and had to make some emergenecy repairs before we could bring it back.
Also ask who's the real owner.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 25, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »

Can we use the thether anchors to pull them off?
Hrrmm, if the you and merchant vessel fire your thrusters to pull away from each other after you attach them then yes.

You send the destroyer captain a mainfest of everything onboard like he requested and tell him of the disastorus state you found the ship in while inquiring about the ship's real owner.
"Honestly I have no idea, it's just something we'll have to sort out when we get to the station....quarnetened crate of unknown cases? That sounds intresting. I must admit I'm curious to see what this dangerous cargo is. I'm sending over a squad of marines primarily to retrieve what ever's in that crate but also to prevent you from trying any thing. Not that I think you will but it's protocol in these situations. After they're aboard set your bearings to match ours, we're heading back to the station,"

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »

We have remote access to our cargo ship from the Firestar, maybe we could have Urist and Armok try to reprogram the ship's identification codes.  Make it appear to be some long-abandoned old merchant ship.  Have the crew get rid of any physical markings if possible.  Maybe we can still keep it.  Of course, pretend to be cooperating with the military.  Theres no way our cargo ship is going to win if it comes to a fight with a destroyer!

Also, prepare a boarding party on board the Firestar, the merchants might need help repelling the pirates.  And keep firing at those fighters.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:33:18 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 25, 2012, 07:14:45 pm »

exisite forgery? You mean exquisite? So he knows its fake, so the military knows that the ships real owner is not the hacker?
Tell him how we took it from the hacker. There is no other papers about who owns it, so we claim it as salvage.. Try it.
Also just comply and let them do what they want.

FIRE THE REPEATER CANNONS!! Fire them at full! I bought the damn shells to use them.

Have the remote fighter get back on the ship. If it can shoot at the boarding ships on its pass do so. Tell the captain what decks the shuttles have latched to. Tell him to vent atmosphere on the decks surrounding it.

Yes have that boarding party ready! If we can shoot off the boarding shuttles see if they can make an EVA jump to the hole left there and come at the pirates from behind. If the fighter's tank can be quickly and temporarily patched have the crew ride it to the boarding shuttle holes. The other half of the party should head for the bridge.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 25, 2012, 08:44:03 pm »

exisite forgery? You mean exquisite? So he knows its fake, so the military knows that the ships real owner is not the hacker?
Tell him how we took it from the hacker. There is no other papers about who owns it, so we claim it as salvage.. Try it.
Also just comply and let them do what they want.
(sorry about that, I'm dyslexic and things like that tend to slip by me unnoticed)
"If we can't find some one with a valid deed to the ship in Tabien then my choices would be to preform an interstellar seach for the owner, which is a pain in the ass beyond anything I have ever expirenced, or declare it unowned and let you have your salavage rights. Provided you don't give me reason to go to all that trouble just to spite you it's yours if we can't find the real owner,"
Complying to the military you allow one of their shuttles to dock.
You politely direct them to the crate they're after and they load it onto the shuttle with little comment.
Afterwards they hang round the bridge silently watching the crew as they direct the ship to the station as command.

FIRE THE REPEATER CANNONS!! Fire them at full! I bought the damn shells to use them.

Have the remote fighter get back on the ship. If it can shoot at the boarding ships on its pass do so. Tell the captain what decks the shuttles have latched to. Tell him to vent atmosphere on the decks surrounding it.

Yes have that boarding party ready! If we can shoot off the boarding shuttles see if they can make an EVA jump to the hole left there and come at the pirates from behind. If the fighter's tank can be quickly and temporarily patched have the crew ride it to the boarding shuttle holes. The other half of the party should head for the bridge.
As the drone limps back it takes a few shots at the docked shuttles, getting free hits on the immoblie craft.
Streams of white smoke shoot from several holes as the shuttles hulls are breached in places and gas races out into space.
Airlocks around the shuttles open venting air and a couple of boarders.
The Firestar's cannons open up on full auto saturating the area around the fighters with shells.
Unable to dodge the incoming fire the enemy lose four fighters to the hail of shells and the last two are cut to ribbons by your point defense guns.
The merchant vessel reports that it's clear of living boarders but you prepare a boarding party any way just to be sure.

We have remote access to our cargo ship from the Firestar, maybe we could have Urist and Armok try to reprogram the ship's identification codes.  Make it appear to be some long-abandoned old merchant ship.  Have the crew get rid of any physical markings if possible.  Maybe we can still keep it.  Of course, pretend to be cooperating with the military.  Theres no way our cargo ship is going to win if it comes to a fight with a destroyer!
The ship identification codes are hard coded (basicly built into the transponder to be one code) and cannot be changed through any method due to the way it's done (doing so completely destroys the transponder)
But where there's a will there's some one willing to sell you a way round.
On Tabien station's black market it's possible to get counterfit transponders with any ship id codes you like hard coded into it.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo Vessel (click to show/hide)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 25, 2012, 11:45:08 pm »

That turned out quite well. Have the fighter patched up asap, all free crew not sitting at a station go fix it. Have only around 5-7 men go over. Message the captain "Sorry for that defense gap Sir. We should have seen that trap. You can pressurize those decks again, our men will come aboard momentarily. A few will stay with you and a few will make some rounds to guarantee your free from pirates."

As for the crew of the cargo ship, just be respectful to the military, no grief at all.
Ask the guards nicely if we can take our mainframes to our shuttle and offer them to come along. If no, raise no objections.

Note - I have class 830 to 530 most days and I figure several turns will pass by in that time. Make sure we collect any broken boarding shuttles/fighters. Also I was thinking we should use our abundant crew men to pump out some fabrication parts from scrap during the quiet time of the trip.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #419 on: January 26, 2012, 12:20:29 am »

hmm. We don't seem to have any actual boarders, we might want to pick some of those up. Putting our untrained crew in a firefight they're not prepared for is something we should avoid if at all possible.

As for changing the Transponder, isn't it kinda late for that? Theres not much point now.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 71