Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87361 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

Scan the scrapfield of infinitif goodies, continue waiting for the drone to run out of fuel, and check if the frighter has been listed as missing

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2011, 04:19:09 pm »

Scan the scrapfield of infinitif goodies, continue waiting for the drone to run out of fuel, and check if the frighter has been listed as missing
It seems you've picked clean this segement of the scrapfield of interesting stuff, you find nothing else of any worth.
Oddly enough the cargo ship isn't listed as missing which is strange since they should have had time to broadcast a mayday across the system network during the attack.

The drone is slowing down but still refuses to stop.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2011, 04:20:54 pm »

Wait

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2011, 04:43:40 pm »

Get a hose or something to try to siphon the free-floating fuel into our fuel tanks.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »

Wait
The search party eventualy manages to find a way around the fuel filled lower decks and reach the cargo hold.
Crates of computers, luxury goods and heavy machinary are neatly stacked to the ceiling and strapped to the floor.
Another body is found drifting in the spaces between the stacks of crates.

The crawler drone completes it's task and is returned to storage.

The drone's fuel finialy gives out and the crew imediatly set about disarming it's explosives so it'll be safe to bring aboard.

Get a hose or something to try to siphon the free-floating fuel into our fuel tanks.
Doing that would require to put together a pipe long enough and a basic pump system, all well within the capabilities of your crew.
But you only have 15 crew members and there is a limit as to what they can do at once.
Do you want crew members from other tasks to work on this instead?

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: status (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2011, 05:05:01 pm »

I think we can afford the time to multitask, so

Don't draw more people into this.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2011, 05:28:40 pm »

I think we can afford the time to multitask, so

Don't draw more people into this.
The crew members working on the drone manage to break it down it's component pieces with surprising efficency.
From it you get: an advanced micro thruster system, it's gattling turret, it's computer core, it's small but powerful comns system and it's explosives.
They then begin work on the pipes to salavage the fuel which shouldn't take them long.

The search time heads through the cargo bay and into engineering.
Most of the fuel tanks are empty but a few are intact and retain hold of their contents.
The damage to the engine is bad though.
The exhaust ports collapsed causing the engine to burnback (this is where the engine exhaust is redirected back to the engine itself overheating it and fring the more sensitive parts of it) which filled engineering with super heated poisionous fumes.
The fumes have cooled off but everything is scorched and charred
But it can be fixed, some parts of the engine need replacing and the exhaust port reopened.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: status (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »

(Wait, am I the only one at helm here?)

First, I think save the computer core for future AI safe haven project ... or money,
Also, do we have the gattling turret ammo? If I recall correctly, there are turrets installed without much ammo? If so, temporarily remove one (as long as there isn't too much danger) and change it to the gattling gun.
This is low priority though.

Also, continue salvage work.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »

We could have our resident hacker try to trace the deactivated drone's comm unit back to its master.  There was a bonus offered for finding him, right?

Also, could I play as an AI?  Have aliens been discovered, or is it just humans?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2011, 06:09:37 pm »

I envision a Wheatly-esque AI body, with a camera and a body that can whirl around! I'm not sure whether or not that is feasible.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »

(Wait, am I the only one at helm here?)

First, I think save the computer core for future AI safe haven project ... or money,
Also, do we have the gattling turret ammo? If I recall correctly, there are turrets installed without much ammo? If so, temporarily remove one (as long as there isn't too much danger) and change it to the gattling gun.
This is low priority though.

Also, continue salvage work.
No the drone expended it's ammo before being tethered so the turret is currently useless but you should be able to get some rounds for it at the station.

Docking the Firestar to the cargo vessel is simple and hassel free.
Soon your crew are placing a pipe that will pump the loose fuel into the hanger tank and are looting the medical bay for anything that could be useful on the Firestar.
Meanwhile the search team is finialy making progress, they have passed by the mess hall and living quarters and are working on getting the bridge door open.
Forcing their way in they find it deserted and the bridge computer consoles switched off.

We could have our resident hacker try to trace the deactivated drone's comm unit back to its master.  There was a bonus offered for finding him, right?

Also, could I play as an AI?  Have aliens been discovered, or is it just humans?
Yep an unspecified bonus.
Yes you could play as an AI but since there isn't already one aboard you'll have to wait till the crew of the Firestar manages to get one.
No aliens have been discovered so it's just humans and AIs.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2011, 06:20:55 pm »

Since we have a hanger... the cargo ship ... does it fit? If it does, tractor it in (or something :P) and work on it on the way back!

If not, is selling the ship (and towing it back) worth it?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »

>Try turning on the bridge consoles.
I envision a Wheatly-esque AI body, with a camera and a body that can whirl around! I'm not sure whether or not that is feasible.
I'm pretty sure giving AIs any sort of physical bodies is outlawed.

What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2011, 06:28:48 pm »

Who cares for laws :P
I think there was talk of using the AIs somehow for world domination.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »

Since we have a hanger... the cargo ship ... does it fit? If it does, tractor it in (or something :P) and work on it on the way back!

If not, is selling the ship (and towing it back) worth it?
The Firestar is destroyer class so it's hanger can only take about three shuttles, the cargo vessel on the other hand is about half the length of the firestar.
Ships are very expensive, in fact pirates raids are aimed more at stealing ships than cargo.
But like all good things there is one slight problem; it's not yours.
You can only claim salavage on ships that have been missing for over a year.
Of course that's easily circumvented by selling it to some one who doesn't care who officialy owns something (of which there are enought of to keep the pirates in buisness)

Yep but most of the crew want to turn to piracy so they don't really care that much about laws.

Switching on the consoles causes the screens lining the bridge to all blink into life at once.
Damage reports cycle endlessly demanding attention across all of them.
Odd, the ship has one of those new self repair systems but it's been overiden for some reason.
There's a lot of damage in the lower decks that the system keeps detecting and requesting clerance to fix.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71