Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87426 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #765 on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:16 am »

((So what determines when and if the punching-through will happen? Why doesn't the fast-moving nuclei jump away rapidly cooling it and lowering it's mass? Is there any way to MAKE them do that?))
Jumping is currently poorly understood but it's widely known that the closer to a source of gravity the less thrust is needed to punch through and consquently the sooner the jump will happen.
Materials (but especialy liquids and gases) that are subjected to a very high temprature and accelerated to close to the speed of the light can be effected by a type of corrosion known as speed depletion.
This is where high energy (ie hot) atoms and particales natural movement on top of the ship's speed can be enough to make them jump out on thier own.
This creates a leaching effect on the engine and heatsinks primarily that will eventualy render most engines inoperative
Officialy this only kicks in at high speeds around a garvity source for things hotter than 2000 degrees celsius, but as the ship comes closer to jumping the energy barrier for particles and nuclei to jump on their own gets lower.
In the exact moment before jumping it's possible for almost anything to lose atoms and moleclues to speed depletion, many expienced spacers will die due to organ failure brought on by a great many years of jumping and the accmulated damage that causes.
This is one of the reasons interstellar travel is seen as dangerous and not something most people do.

Ok, nukes or impacts or anything like that wont do it. Making travel to and from it to hard might be the best way forward after all. Either making it to dangerous to jump to the star or by puting to much junk in orbit around the planet.
Impacts won't work and surface detonations of nukes won't work.
Good thing weapon designers a long time ago realised they needed something to crack open those asteroid bases and buried bunkers and built the driller nuke percisely for that purpose. :P
It can for example be set to denonate beneath the bases.

!!!
Idea! If we manage to disrupt the gravity of the star or put lots of debris in orbit... AND keep track of exactly how we did it, it should mean WE can jump there safely but it's to dangerous for anyone else! Essentially, it acts as a password, which let us use it as a safe haven where we can't be followed, or sell it for the price of whatever the entire star system is worth!
The only problem with that is the area where ships jump in around the star is massive as in mind boggolingly huge.
Even considering that incoming ships will need alot of space to slow down you'll still need the mass of several planets spread through the area to stand a chance of hitting one.
The reason it requires so much mass just to provide a half deccent chance of hitting an incoming ship is because no one can predict percisely where around a star a ship will jump in, it's largely random.

Also I took Helios's comment as that the nukes effect on atmosphere would be negligible, didn't realize it also meant the compounds would be fortified from a tactical nuclear strike.
Well they're fortified against inpacts from meteors and other other large objects which are wores than a nearbye nuke going off.

We have bombers and fighters, are any of our craft capable of atmospheric flight, and able to break free of gravity after they attack?
Nope

Why the hell do they even want to live on this planet? Is it merely for the location? Is there some rare resource there? We should probably figure this out somehow before we do anything.
"Well it gives them a nice jumping off point for covert actions into house Laberine territory and makes them idealy placed to keep an eye on what ever happens in the house Laberine systems.

I agree. I would like to find a planet with liquid water at best and no toxic gas at least. I also agree we should try and figure out a permanent solution to kicking those guys out of the system. How about we paint up our ships to look like the house that wants this done and just fly through there, hail them when we see them and just casually mention that we patrol all of the systems in that area between telling them to fuck off. If things go south I think we have enough fire power to deal with them at the moment and we can always probe them and decide once we know what we are dealing with.
Planets with liquid water and no toxic atmosphere tend to be pretty valuable (unless something else about it means no one wants to live there) and are normally inhabited.
If it was that easy then house Laberine would have done it themselves, it's an unclaimed system and they have a full right to be there.
If things get violent they want to able to deny any involvement.

Rather than spend the entire time in Galvenn arguing the crew decides to setup the point defense turrets and make for Braben Hall where turrets and weaponary is easy to come by.
You'll arrive shortly.
Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flarewise (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:21:29 am by Jerick »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:32 pm »

... So what happens when a black hole collides with a star. TWO gravity wells, LOTS of plasma falling in at very near the speed of light from all directions. It jumnps away, and enters all nearby star systems frying planets and preventing ships from jumping. For possibly galaxy-spanning values of "nearby".

For that matter, how can black holes grow in the first place? Wouldn't everything about to fall into them jump away?

(also, other than how to initiate a jump, is http://qntm.org/frontier an accurate description of how it works?)

Oh, and about the voting thing: Polls do not work for forum games. This is a general rules, not dependent on the forum in question, the GMs commitment to the ideals democracy, or the quality of the community. There are always a few fans of of an adventure with a good understanding of what's going on and coming up with workable plans, and a whole lot of lurkers who don't but like to click shiny poll buttons.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 19, 2012, 12:54:27 pm »

Oy vey. Once again, new to this.  :D Thanks for the tip.

Well I'm tapped for ideas and I think I've stated plenty of the obvious. Happy to be along for the ride. In the meantime, I think I'll just kick back and enjoy that nice rec room we installed. (When you arrive at Braben Hall that is)
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 19, 2012, 02:44:51 pm »

So I just realized, we're worried about what this house will think of us when we've attacked one of their bases, but when you actually think about it, how are they going to know who did it?  If we don't let anything jump out, their house won't even know anything happened until someone comes by to check on the outpost and finds a radioactive pile of rubble.  Using nukes would mean EMPs and therefore probably none of their sensor data would be recoverable.  Or if its shielded against EMPs, we could just go down there after they're all dead and wipe out any incriminating evidence.

Its the perfect crime!  8)
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 19, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »

Where did our old shuttle go, I thought it was capable of getting to the surface? How much would one cost? We should use a stealth probe to check it out, see what kind of forces are down there. What do you guys think of a ground assault? I am still up for a diplomatic approach first.

"Helios, whats the chance of getting an advancement on that job? We could certainly use it to purchase ground invasion equipment."

Jerick - Just noticed you never added the Heavy Caliber Cannon to the Firestar a while back.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 19, 2012, 03:08:48 pm »

Not now, but at some point we got to combine a stelth probe, information courier, and AI-capable processor...
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 23, 2012, 06:51:18 pm »

So are you guys suggesting that we go in for the ground assault instead of bombing the place from orbit?  Or are you just saying that we'll need ground forces to clear out the rubble after the orbital bombardment?

To be clear: I'm personally very much in favor of orbital nuclear bombardment :D
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2012, 06:53:02 pm »

So are you guys suggesting that we go in for the ground assault instead of bombing the place from orbit?  Or are you just saying that we'll need ground forces to clear out the rubble after the orbital bombardment?

To be clear: I'm personally very much in favor of orbital nuclear bombardment :D

+1. To bad windows are structural weaknesses. I want to watch the fireworks.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2012, 07:22:20 pm »

We have cameras made to counter stealth in space mounted all over the hull, and I bought some really shiny screens along with that party is you remember, so that shouldn't be a problem. >:D

And I'm fine with orbital bombardment if done properly- no missed bases, make sure the scan is though and we have redundancy in case they any manages to disable a nuke.

I suggest a 3 nukes per base approach: one to dig a fair bot beneath it trying to blow up the entire area, one right in the middle of/slightly on top of the base to utterly vaporise it and not having to dig THROUGH it in case that allows countermeasures, and one coming from the side at an odd angle, probably stretching it's digging ability and detonating just near enough to be sure to kill anyone inside and destroy any electronics but making sure to be entirely out of reach for countermeasures.

We do this with every base we know is there, and places that might have hidden bases we've missed but are most likely false alarms get one.

... Ooooorrr maybe we should use a bit less overkill since nukes are expensive and historical failure rates of similar missions are low enough that this'd be entirely pointless.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »

Sigh... On a screen it just isn't the same...

Well it seems like we are decided. Even if we don't end up using all of the nukes then we will end up using them later. They are like condoms... You know the saying.

I think we are ready.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:43 pm »

+2 I believe the ground forces are to ensure its cleaned out. Or in the event we can't drop the driller nukes in from orbit we may have to start them off on the surface by hand.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:33 pm »

+2 I believe the ground forces are to ensure its cleaned out. Or in the event we can't drop the driller nukes in from orbit we may have to start them off on the surface by hand.

This sounds neat and dangerous. I like it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:16:22 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 24, 2012, 11:10:43 am »

Are we at Braben Hall yet?

Also bump.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »

Is this dead?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:45:46 pm by Gotdamnmiracle »

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 26, 2012, 10:57:43 pm »

I don't know. Jerick hasn't said anything. He did previously mention he was getting busy so this is not a huge surprise. I'd say its on hold.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71