Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87321 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:41 pm »

Personally, I want to just salvage anything possible and somehow tug the ship back... :S

Okay then... allow clearance for the lower decks and steer clear of them.
Is the cargo in the lower decks though?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:46:33 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2011, 06:46:11 pm »

>Try turning on the bridge consoles.
I envision a Wheatly-esque AI body, with a camera and a body that can whirl around! I'm not sure whether or not that is feasible.
I'm pretty sure giving AIs any sort of physical bodies is outlawed.

Who cares for laws :P
I think there was talk of using the AIs somehow for world domination.
I just think it's a bad idea to be openly defiant of powerful space governments if we have no effective means of waging war with them. We need to build up our AI army in secret.

Also, speaking of illegal things, we need a plan for what to do with our illegal missiles if we come across a space patrol or something. I was thinking maybe we could sort of "flush" them if we got a stealth probe and put the missiles in there if we see space cops. Then we'd send it out into the void to a certain location where we could pick them up later.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »

Hmm... for a short term solution, yes, we should have some way.

For long term solutions, we should hire a lawyer/broker whenever we have the chance and acquire a weapons license so we can get missiles for cheaper, easier.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2011, 06:57:54 pm »

Personally, I want to just salvage anything possible and somehow tug the ship back... :S
The Firestar has one of the most impressive engines in known space and you guys have Tether Anchors, towing the ship back should be a breeze.
Also while the engine of the cargo vessel is baddly damaged it's not beyond the crew of the Firestar to fix.

I just think it's a bad idea to be openly defiant of powerful space governments if we have no effective means of waging war with them. We need to build up our AI army in secret.

Also, speaking of illegal things, we need a plan for what to do with our illegal missiles if we come across a space patrol or something. I was thinking maybe we could sort of "flush" them if we got a stealth probe and put the missiles in there if we see space cops. Then we'd send it out into the void to a certain location where we could pick them up later.
Stealth probes don't hold cargo and are small enough to be fired from your missile tubes. (but can last four weeks out on it's own and can cover large distances without being noticed)
Don't worry too much about patrols just yet.
The system your currently in is backwater and forgotten, you've little chance of finding a patrol out there.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »

Okay then,

give clearance for the auto-repair
and pull out of the cargo ship.
Recall everyone who might be out of the ship.

Navigate to the closest station!

When there, finish repairs and either sell or gut the ship. By gut, I mean turn the whole thing into material for our own ship >:-)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2011, 06:13:28 am »

What was on those lower decks again. Check the lower decks before giving repair clearance, there must be a reason why they have been deactivated.
Complete remote scan of the ship.
Check the ship logs for comm data, maybe they picked up the activation commands for the drones.
Try to find out who produced these drones.

Anyway, safely attach a tether anchor.
Check the sector to see how much a freighter would be worth.
Also, is the shuttle engine compactibel with the freighter, maybe we  can use the engine for spare parts.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2011, 06:32:29 am »

Any chance of adapting thy SR system to the Firestar?

Also, I was on the boarding team :)
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2011, 06:40:17 am »

> I go through the software for the drones, figuring out how advanced the AI is and maybe how the trick of taking them over was done. And yea trying to trace who did it but I'm pessimistic about that being possible.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2011, 07:28:09 am »

Any chance of adapting thy SR system to the Firestar?

Also, I was on the boarding team :)
No the self repair system is built into the ship.
All the systems and structure of the ship are modular and are capable of replacing the modules next to them.

I couldn't imagine you being anywhere else.

What was on those lower decks again. Check the lower decks before giving repair clearance, there must be a reason why they have been deactivated.
Complete remote scan of the ship.
Check the ship logs for comm data, maybe they picked up the activation commands for the drones.
Try to find out who produced these drones.

Anyway, safely attach a tether anchor.
Check the sector to see how much a freighter would be worth.
Also, is the shuttle engine compactibel with the freighter, maybe we  can use the engine for spare parts.
The lower decks are still largely flooded with fuel and have suffered considerable damage.
If there is a short in any of the wires down there it would be risky to power anything as it might ignite a flash fire (that I may or may not have been writing up when you posted, that also may or may not have killed some crew members)
The ship has muiltiple hull breaches, no active life support, all life pods have been launched and 90% of it's systems are offline.
Though if these systems were turned off or disabled due to damage remains to be seen.
Checking the ships logged comn data turns up some interesting findings; the same kind of encrypted, short range burst transmission transmitted by the drones was transmitted by the ship for some reason.
Only the ships comns array is far more powerful and could reach half the scrapyard.
But the logs don't show anything else related to the drones.
The drones where produced for use by the Collective of Imperial Worlds for use as a cheap, area denial weapon.
An intact ship of this class could be sold for 20,000 credits but having to sell it ilegaly would mean a drop in price (dependant on who you sell it to)
The two engines use the same technology the cargo ship's engine is just an awful lot bigger, so yeah there are a number of components you could repurpose from the shuttle's engine.

> I go through the software for the drones, figuring out how advanced the AI is and maybe how the trick of taking them over was done. And yea trying to trace who did it but I'm pessimistic about that being possible.
The hacker was careful and left little evidence of tampering.
The software in the drones is pretty sophisticated and inculdes an impressive targeting algorithm that could be adpated for use on the Firestar's turrets. (currently they're all manualy operated)
You're also able to spot the vunerablitiy that was exploited to gain control of the drones.
The controling computer transmits a secure, continual data stream to the drones just like missiles, but unlike missiles drones send messages back to the controling computer.
It's possible to spoof the controling computer into thinking your a drone and accepting a transmission containing a virus.
The controling computer then propagates this virus to all the drones under it's control which inculdes a command to switch controling computer to one selected by the hacker.
But these were old drones this particular vunerability might have been corrected in newer models.
Now you don't know where the hacker is but you know the address of the new controling computer.

The fuel pump transfers 1200 units of fuel to your tank.
The crew operating it tell you that the more fuel they pump out the slower pumping out fuel becomes.
A Tether anchor is fired at the cargo vessel which attaches firmly and without incident.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: status (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2011, 09:11:52 am »

I get to work adapting the stuff I found to some kind of framework easily used with many different things, including any of the Firestars systems.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2011, 09:43:58 am »

Just a question: Can the railguns fire antique couches?
Do a search for the lifepods using the ships scanner.
Also try not to blow anything up.(Especially not 1200 units of fuel)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2011, 10:17:18 am »

I get to work adapting the stuff I found to some kind of framework easily used with many different things, including any of the Firestars systems.
You wind up producing a modular software frame that is both adpative and can dynamicaly switch between the different software packages that it's currently using.
Meaning it can switch to a completely different targeting algorithm mid combat and it can do this with any software related to the operation of a ship while linking them togther.
Effectively you just programed the very core of a ships operating system and made it scalable.

Just a question: Can the railguns fire antique couches?
Do a search for the lifepods using the ships scanner.
Also try not to blow anything up.(Especially not 1200 units of fuel)
There's not enough ferrous metal in it, you could try attaching magnets to it though.
There are a couple nearby, they all have been hit by gattling fire.
No one aboard any of them survived.
Your crew are still pumping fuel they've sucked up 800 units more.
It's now just dangerous to head into the fuel soaked lower decks rather than requireing you to litiraly swim through floating fuel to get anywhere down there.
A proper search of what's down there will commence once the cleanup has got most of it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2011, 10:40:13 am »

Attemp to recover the pods, maybe they have more clues to what exactly happened here. Also, try to covertly find out where the hacked server is located. Also, use the advanced microthruster systems, the drone core and the small coms system to turn the drone in to a remote scouting drone( for now, keep the option to add a weapon to it). Make sure to fix the software leak before using.

Use the newly created scout drone to search the scrapyard of infinitif goodies for weapons and other goodies

Also ,how large is that shuttle engine?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2011, 11:09:48 am »

Attemp to recover the pods, maybe they have more clues to what exactly happened here. Also, try to covertly find out where the hacked server is located. Also, use the advanced microthruster systems, the drone core and the small coms system to turn the drone in to a remote scouting drone( for now, keep the option to add a weapon to it). Make sure to fix the software leak before using.

Use the newly created scout drone to search the scrapyard of infinitif goodies for weapons and other goodies

Also ,how large is that shuttle engine?
The pods contain nothing more than the bodies of the unfortunate crew men of the cargo vessel, except for two which contain nothing at all.
Everyone one in the escape pods was armed, mostly with pistols, sub machine guns and assualt rifles.

You have an idea of how to find it but it isn't remotely covert.
If you code and upload a virus you could (since for it to control the drones it must have broadcast capability to most if not all of the scrapyard) force it to send a junk transmission which you can follow to the source.

The shuttle engine is about the size of a two room cottage and normally takes up a third of it's mass.

This time round while making the drone the crew has acess to better tools and can make things better suited to a drone.
They make a fuel tank that is a much better fit then the one on the flak drone and can hold twice the fuel.
Also they fix the hole in the comn equipment and restore long range comunications before adding it to the new drone.
In the end they create for you a fast, fuel efficent (each unit will last for an hour of use) drone that's capable of autonomus actions (the flak drone was only able to be remote controled).

You send it out to hunt for valuable treasures hidden in the refuse.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:47 am »

Are the escape pods reusable?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 71