Linux
- 17 (15%)
Other
- 1 (0.9%)
Frankenstein (self built)
- 1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What platform do you play DF on?  (Read 2554 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What platform do you play DF on?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 07:06:17 am »

I play all my games on Windows, but last year I've installed Ubuntu and started using it for everything else. Since DF is supported on Linux, I'm thinking about playing it on Ubuntu instead. But I haven't bothered with it yet.

I found it ran slightly faster with the native Ubuntu version than when I used Windows XP on the same machine. Although that was a while (read years) ago so no idea if it makes a difference now.

I use Ubuntu for almost everything now (11.10 with gnome 3), including lots of indie games and anything via steam that also runs in wine. Still keep a Windows 7 machine around for those other games though... :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 12:02:58 pm »

I use Mac just because I grew up with them and got used to all the shortcuts. I've tried DF on Linux and liked what I saw, but I don't have the gumption to plop down the cash it would take to build a rig worthy of playing fortress mode :P I've also tried playing on windows but I just couldn't get used to it.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »

Arch Linux for now, probably (quietly weeping) Vista soon.
One windows box in the house is convenient to have, and it may as well be a well-maintained one... let's see how long it takes my parents to break Debian stable without root access.

@ [NO_THOUGHT]: If that's what you want, Linux should run just fine on any mac that can handle Dwarf Fortress.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 01:25:13 am »

Cold up here.

Also not really.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:26:46 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 03:58:52 am »

pre-cropped screenshots

Woah.  :o Almost makes me want a mac.
But yeah I play on windows and that's the only OS I have. Tried ubuntu on a few old comps but I couldn't get them to run it for some weird reasons. Tons of viruses, messed up antique hardware and tampered bios to name few obstacles I encountered. Now they're just lying in the basement collecting dust.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 08:02:11 am »

I use windows, which is the only OS I've ever really used.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 08:24:06 am »

pre-cropped screenshots
Woah.  :o Almost makes me want a mac.

Doesn't every OS do this? I know Gnome (and probably all flavours of Linux's windowing managers) and Windows 7 both let you. You can normally pick if you want whole screen (commonly the default) or a selected area or just a single application window.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 09:06:19 am »

Quick correction, it's not "platform", it's "OS" or "Operating System". Platform is like PC, Xbox 360, PS3, etc..

What? I've been playing Dwarf Fortress on my Xbox 360 this whole time. The graphics are really nice. I'm up to the fifth level, where are you?
Up to the point where you need to use the Kinect!

(Seriously: Windows (XP) mostly; Fedora-brand-Linux on occasion; the Windows version on Fedora-brand-Linux via WINE, sometimes in the past, I think, but not recently.  Oh, and I have made my own OS, in the dim and distant past.  Wasn't a good one.  Wouldn't have run DF at all, but then it wasn't intended to, so not really a failing. :) )

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:14:38 pm »

Windows 7, but I've also played it on my terrible Mac laptop at 20fps.
[Signature]

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 06:20:43 pm »

I'm not usually one to throw specs out, but I usually play the game on a netbook with 1.66 GHz atom processor. Fortress mode games usually peter out at 70 dwarfs and 50 cats, but its still sufficient to get some good fun in while out and about.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 06:48:22 pm »

I usually run the Windows version under Wine on Pinguy Linux (An Ubuntu flavour, sort of like Mint). I get the same FPS doing this as I would running on Windows XP (dual-boot system) but for some reason the menu lags in Wine.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 07:29:13 am »

I play on the Mac.

I've played DF, on Windows and Linux, but OSX, is my home operating system, and its what I'm most comfortable with.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 10:20:48 am »

MAC.  So clean and white.... but weak.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »

Linux. Ubuntu to be more precise. Sadly, my hardware will make my forts die fps death very early. Still, I might get some fun out of the adventure mode come next release.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 04:45:15 pm »

I use windows DF under Wine in Ubuntu, I tried to use Linux DF but was unable to compile Therapist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3