Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Ancestors who fought in the American Civil War ?  (Read 3612 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ancestors who fought in the American Civil War ?
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »

Got any? say so and which side/s regiment etc :D I'm British and have none, but as some of you know i'm interested and study the Civil War.

I'll list them all here and find a war record of the unit (for my own interest).

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors who fought in the American Civil War ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:34:38 pm »

Not sure if anyone in my ancestry took part in the Civil War, much less which regiment they would have been in.  And my family is pretty heavy into our genealogy.  Of course, I come from a Pacific northwest family, so I wonder if we were too busy logging it up in the woods to join in killing each other.

Just wanted to break the ice :)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:37:06 pm »

Don't know of anyone in my family that's fought in any war, honestly, except my grandfather who fought in Korea (as an airplane mechanic iirc) and my cousin who fought in Iraq (radio operator).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:40:15 pm »

My grandfather was a navy guy in a reallllly big ship in WW2.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:17:15 am »

My great x 5 or 6 grandfather was John Hunt Morgan, a Confederate general.
Shoes...

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:58:15 am »

My great x 5 or 6 grandfather was John Hunt Morgan, a Confederate general.
Filthy southerner.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:30:26 am »

I've got more than a few Confederate ancestors. I can't remember any of them specifically having been soldiers, but I have seen some old documents describing their slave-ownership and the like.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:32:59 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:33:20 am »

I have at least one relative who fought on the Confederate side. As I recall, he was killed in battle, though I don't remember where.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:55 am »

I'm not really aware of any relatives that fought in the civil war, although I'm sure there had to be some. My dads side of the family lives mainly in virginia, so someone had to have fought in the civil war.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:28 am »

Nope. Ancestors migrated here 70 years ago. Too late for that.

Although I wonder why are some people so obsessed with the Civil War anyways? Seems like a terrible war people would rather forget, instead people seem almost nostalgic about it.

Also, why do they name US military bases after confederate generals? (Fort Lee, ect) Why honor and memorialize traitors?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 02:46:17 am »

They were good guys/tacticians, just not on the right team. Or something.

Anyway my ancestors are from across an ocean, and not the Atlantic.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 02:47:26 am »

Montague, probably not a good idea to put it like that, dude...
Especially after a few people have said they had ancestors on that side of the war.

Me myself, well, I live in Australia but one side of my family comes from Arizona, so I most likely have SOME ancestors or other who were involved in it, on which side I've no idea. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 02:58:17 am »

Although I wonder why are some people so obsessed with the Civil War anyways? Seems like a terrible war people would rather forget, instead people seem almost nostalgic about it.

Also, why do they name US military bases after confederate generals? (Fort Lee, ect) Why honor and memorialize traitors?

I'm a product of a Polish (White Russian?) cossack blacksmith who moved here sometime early in the 1900s, so I'm afraid I probably don't have ancestors who were in the area. I don't know much about my mom's side of the tree though as I have long since lost contact with them, other than I have a fraction of American Indian in me from that side.

I'd say that for the most part nostalgia is a poor term for that war. It's more to make certain that everyone knows how terrible it was the first time that it does not happen again. It was really, really bad for the people who lived it. It's probably the greatest tragedy in our nation's history, and it lasted for four years of killing. 

As for why should we memorialize traitors? While during the war they may have been fairly considered traitors, they were still American citizens, and there is no denying that the South fought as hard as it could. To deny our fellow citizens the pride in their ability to fight as they did would probably not be right even if the reasons for which they were fighting were pretty terrible. (manipulative powerful aristocracy defending their slave taking practices etc)

EDIT: Historian John Huddleston estimates the death toll at ten percent of all Northern males 20–45 years old, and 30 percent of all Southern white males aged 18–40

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

Also I have no idea if that includes all war related deaths; such as covering farm boys who had never left home coming into contact with one of the many diseases in the army that killed at that time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Besides, although it was terrible and stupid and wasteful and please let it never happen again but there was such heroism shown in that war that it's impossible to forget.

It's basically the cow walking into the butcher shop. Each one of those guys is the cow when he walks towards that cannon filled with musketballs to the effect of a shotgun.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:33:39 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 03:42:14 am »

Also if you can find a copy of this game, I highly recommend it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_Generals_II

Hex based but it's really well done
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:45:48 am »

I'm Australian of Dutch/English descent. I'm related to a guy who was a general called Tilden sometime in America's past, though I'm not sure when.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4