Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A dwarven Metropolis?  (Read 3481 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A dwarven Metropolis?
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:00:07 pm »

I was pondering recently, have there been any notable entirely above ground, entire map-sized fortresses? I was thinking of doing this, and even dissecting into quarters, ie; trade quarter, noble/healthcare/military quarter, dedicate another quarter to a massive quarry (as in, channeling it all as to be left with a giant hole) and the probably leave the last quarter of the map as leaf-land/shrubbery for foraging and farming etc.

Anyway, if this has already been done, please point me towards it, if not - let's brainstorm! I may even make a community story of the birth of the first true dwarven metropolis.

Link saves if you have a map that would suit this idea!

Fakeedit: ideally I'd like to see a river so I can set up an in-village fish industry where it would be entirely viable n
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A dwarven Metropolis?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »

There are LOTS.
(Sadly, I have not documented a lot of my own... Felt that they were NOT WORTHY OF BAY12!!!)
Jks aside, here's a good place to start looking :]

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:05:49 pm »

Sounds like a large megaproject, but my guess is that you would have wall all four corners of the map, leaving gates in the middle of each direction, all going toward the middle of the embark, adding corridors to the districts.

For districts, my guess is that you would have the nobles' district fairly small, the trade district somewhat large, with the commons bring pretty big, as you can add the healthcare district with the commons, while the nobles' will get a more fancier hospital. Military quarter may have to be just one large building to make rooms and add beds.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:09:31 pm »

There are LOTS.
(Sadly, I have not documented a lot of my own... Felt that they were NOT WORTHY OF BAY12!!!)

I did have a look through that sub-forum, but I did omit that I play entirely 100% vanilla and I'm not a massive fan of themes ("Screw The Next Player Over" etc)

But I will continue in my search!
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:12:26 pm »

There are LOTS.

I did have a look through that sub-forum, but I did omit that I play entirely 100% vanilla and I'm not a massive fan of themes ("Screw The Next Player Over" etc)

But I will continue in my search!

he he, just look for the new games, you'll be sure to find an above ground game.
(I'll see if I can find one I've recently bumped into).

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 09:35:48 pm »

I was wondering when somebody was going to take this on. I have a few ideas that can add to the complexity factor of the dwarftropolis. The power grid.

My notes can be found in this thread. I have a few good ideas based on an already pretty good idea. Primarily how to make convincing power lines, and how to direct power as you see fit.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:33:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:39:24 pm »

Flarechannels (search google or the forums) is a famous example of such a metropolis. But by all means, outdo him. I think Flarechannels is the oldest and most-constructed fort known on these forums by a mile.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:54:33 am »

Sounds like a large megaproject, but my guess is that you would have wall all four corners of the map, leaving gates in the middle of each direction, all going toward the middle of the embark, adding corridors to the districts.

For districts, my guess is that you would have the nobles' district fairly small, the trade district somewhat large, with the commons bring pretty big, as you can add the healthcare district with the commons, while the nobles' will get a more fancier hospital. Military quarter may have to be just one large building to make rooms and add beds.
Nobles distric must be a tower, with the highest position on the top near the overseer.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Sunkwell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:19 am »

Just drop the obscure clues and balantly say, Rebuild the Imperial City in DF.
He took joy in slaughter lately.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 10:50:15 am »

Ew. Imperials. If I were to recreate a TES region it would be somewhere like Vvardenfell with the gothic designs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 03:24:02 pm »

Ew. Imperials. If I were to recreate a TES region it would be somewhere like Vvardenfell with the gothic designs.

Rebuild Vivec City! (moon included)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:08:46 pm »

Rebuild Vivec City! (moon included)

Make the moon a prison! Self sufficient - once you go, you don't come back.

Anyway, after reading the epic tale of Flarechannels, that's not really what I wanted.
I meant; apartment blocks, roving farmland, bustling fish markets.

Oh my. I will screenshot my embark and if any like-minded dwarven buddy would help me with city planning I'd be most grateful!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 05:22:16 pm »

Alternatively, you could model it after a nord city.
And, if that isn't dorfy enough, just recreate Markarth!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 05:26:02 pm »

I don't really want to recreate something, as it seems likely that I would get bored and quit once it's completed. Whereas if it was to be brought from the ground up, I could endlessly expand!

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 01:53:13 am »

Embark in massive volcano. Drain out excess lava so your cone goes down about 50 z levels. And build Dagoth Ur.

I'm going to have to try this now.
Pages: [1] 2