Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My medical dwarves won't diagnose people!  (Read 4172 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My medical dwarves won't diagnose people!
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »

Hello there everyone.

I'm a fairly new DF player, and I'm in a bit of a bind.

My best miner has just had her legs and arms broken in a fall (another miner dug out the ground from other her like a moron...). Currently she's in the hospital, however, for some reason, my dwarves won't treat her. At first I thought it was because I only had a chief medical dwarf, but when I assigned it to some other random dwarf, the guy still wouldn't budge...What do I need to do to get this dwarf treated?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Re: My medical dwarves won't diagnose people!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »

Get a traction bench, stuff for broken bones, see the wiki.  Or your's will be like mine and regrow bones in 6 years.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »

I have a traction bench...
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 05:58:49 pm »

Do you have a Bone Setter and materials for a cast?
My Steam Account

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 06:02:03 pm »

Bone setter yes, but not cast materials. Can't you use a splint though? I also need a suturer, though unfortunately I don't have one...How do I get the stuff I need into the hospital stockpile?
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:05:32 pm »

damnit. The dwarf died.
It was inevitable.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:05:51 pm »

Personally as long as they aren't spewing blood everywhere I just let them sleep off most injuries, and there is a chance that is all your dorf needs now with a bench and doctors about.

Edit: Too late, I guess his injury was worse than a simple break and probably needed casts.

Also get a suturer, even a bad one can help patch up some.
My Steam Account

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 06:09:23 pm »

I was having a surgeon do it, but he wandered off for god knows what reason after his first attempt failed. I think I know what I need to do; my next hospital will be built next to the well, have containers in it, and have the bedrooms of the staff nearby. It will also be quite near the dining hall.
It was inevitable.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »

Before assigning a Chief Medical Dwarf, take a look at the personalities of your dwarves.  You really want your medic to be a dwarf who loves to help people and jumps to action without a second thought.  You don't want to pick a dwarf who hates helping others and spends a long time deliberating before acting.  An eager dabbler is more useful than a brilliant doctor who never actually gets around to helping anyone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:17:46 pm »

I just realized the reason the dwarf wandered off is because he was looking for medical supplies.  Derp.
It was inevitable.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:29:11 am »

i am having a hospital problem too.  a dwarf got his leg cut off by a goblin he was military so i decomissioned him thinking he would go straight to the hospital. he went that way but as he was a civilian he went straight to my active burrow. wich is my mess hall/meeting hall now he just lies there "faint" "unable to walk" i cancheled the burrow as soon as he arrived there becuse most of the invaders had been killed already. and he still just lies there. so i try to re military him make him a squad leader and order the squad to hospital. he doesnt move. tbh i think i killed him by decomissioning him and ruining his order track or something. or maybe he is just a spawn of Urist McNorris and doesnt mind rolling around without a crutch. anyways i think i have most med jobs filled. but i dont have materials for casts. everything else i got.i got plenty of beds a traction bench and containers at the hospital and also a cheif medical guy filled. any suggestions ?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:58 am »

Does anyone have Recover wounded turned on? It's a low priority job, so try turning off every labour except Recover wounded on one dwarf and see what happens. Note that the same goes for bringing water to wounded dwarfs, so you might want to leave that on as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:58:34 am by fergus »
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:22:35 am »

i have 44 idlers and one i set as you asked to ongly recover wounded still nothing happens. btw the dwarf is still conscious and he walked on his own to the mess hall. now he just stands there.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:28:06 am »

They won't be taken to the hospital unless they are unconscious and I think that they won't go themselves unless they can't work properly and have either a broken limb or an open wound, since these are the only things the hospital can fix. It might help to know what his wounds screen says.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:12 am »

it just says. his leg is missing, no open wound or anything thogh he bled profusely enroute  it seems to have stopped.
Pages: [1] 2