Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is the largest population of dwarves anyone has ever had?  (Read 6007 times)

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: What is the largest population of dwarves anyone has ever had?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 02:34:43 pm »

I think I once had 280 on my biggest fort, which then was promptly mauled by a minotaur and a siege combined.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 02:39:00 pm »

Around 270 was the max for me. I intend to surpass this in making a battle-ready metropolis.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »

In the Winter of 5, I had 308. By the Spring of 6, there was 47. I sadly lost all but one of my Herrenvolk, but I still had tons of Untermenschen left. Then my last Herrenvolk fell after suffering extreme injuries combating a FB. Luckily, I had enough room for all my Untermenschen! I no longer had to gas them with cave in dust or burn them to death in my magma ovens.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 04:06:57 pm »

Probably around 80. I like my framerates smooth.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 04:24:14 pm »

Temperature calculations apparently play merry-hell with framerates (see the thread about the improved magma pump stack for the !!science!! on that).

I hit about 180 or 190 back when I was first learning, then started fresh before getting more as I'd made some horrible decisions as was going to get slaughtered when the gobos finally made their appearance.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 03:04:14 am »

くコ:彡

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 06:17:09 am »

I wonder what the most cycle- and FPS-efficient way to raise population is. Perhaps having a core group of brewers, farmers and cooks to manage a series of 1x1 breeding cells with pairs of dwarves and all their offspring. Or maybe just cramming every single dwarf that's not working into a 1x1 pit over an artifact grate, dropping in (good) food from above. Of course all labours would be off for them, and the fort should be as small as feasible and sealed in completely.

With the current overpowered state of farming I don't think maintaining a population of tens of thousands is infeasible, provided such extreme confinement as outlined above is workable and keeps FPS as high as I expect it should.

EDIT: Theoretically it should be possible to fully automate the process by having a cyclical waterflow washing across a food stockpile into the den. With a two-stage process and automated floodgates I think it can be made safe from the working dwarves accidentally being washed down into the pit of horrors. One naturally wonders what a 16x16 embark covering every above and underground square with farmland can sustain, seeing as that would be the absolute maximal effective cap on unmodded population.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:26:32 am by Shmo »
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 08:38:18 am »

Maybe 130?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 07:14:32 pm »

I tried raising the pop cap in a running game, but still didn't get any new migrants, does it have to be set pre-worldgen, or pre-embark to take effect?

On the plus side, my gem cutter is up to 18 kids (16 of which are still alive)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 10:18:11 pm »

I tried raising the pop cap in a running game, but still didn't get any new migrants, does it have to be set pre-worldgen, or pre-embark to take effect?

As long as you raised the population cap higher than your current population, even if only by one, you should get a migrant wave the next appropriate time.  I think there might be a "dwarf population" limit, however, so if you've had enough immigrants already so that the entire dwarven population of your game has already moved to your fort it might not send any more.  This would require !!verification!! and !!science!! of course. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:10 pm »

As long as you raised the population cap higher than your current population, even if only by one, you should get a migrant wave the next appropriate time.  I think there might be a "dwarf population" limit, however, so if you've had enough immigrants already so that the entire dwarven population of your game has already moved to your fort it might not send any more.  This would require !!verification!! and !!science!! of course. ;)

Don't forget you have to restart the Dwarf Fortress program for the changes to take affect... Just making sure ;)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 11:29:28 pm »

Last I heard the record was at around 3000 in a fort designed specifically for this.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 11:34:46 pm »

I think embarking in a glacier or a desert helps too.

I can attest to the glacier bit. I have had to rembark eight times at my current glacier fort, so you can imagine that I do not have a lot of issues with FPS.

Of course that won't really help you get a large dwarf population... But still.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 02:07:34 am »

My highest was just shy of 80.
I have a short attention span.
Currently working on bringing that up.

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 04:09:40 am »

I had about 28 before the sickness of "Raving Madness" got them. Then I had a Miner in a soul attempt to find a cure leave only to die by Rampaging Elephants :)
(Mild Exaggeration)
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.
Pages: 1 [2] 3