Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What is the largest population of dwarves anyone has ever had?  (Read 5997 times)

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the largest population of dwarves anyone has ever had?
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:54:42 am »

I'm curious, as I'm currently trying to build a fort with the goal of having as many dwarves as possible. I wanted to know what the highest number of dwarves achieved is, and maybe some tips as to increase the viability of the population.

I'd love to hear your comments/thoughts.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the largest population of dwarves anyone has ever had?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:17:25 am »

I've never played with this in mind as a goal, but my best population was just shy of 250. Population growth slows somewhat when the migrant cap is reached.

If you're going to try it I would suggest using burrows to isolate various groups from one another. That way you won't lose your entire population to tantrums.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:26:45 am »

210 dwarfs.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:57:58 am »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:16:38 am »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 11:20:48 am »

The biggest issue with having a massive Dorf population is usually that this will eventually bring your FPS to a crawl. The most common death for massive fortress is "FPS death", where the player just can't stand playing at a low FPS - or sometimes the game is stuck at 0.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:30:37 am »

I suppose if you wanted to have the most migrants in a fort ever, you could make a highly profitable for, and I mean HIGHLY profitable, and have it sit at 200 or so dwarves for a long while while you accumulate wealth, and I suppose prepare for a giant flood of dwarves. Then just kick the population cap up, and hope you get a few waves of migrants before your fps is too slow to permit more even playing the fort.
That or just have an amazing computer, patience, and a very efficient fort...

Banehallow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 12:03:44 pm »

The biggest issue with having a massive Dorf population is usually that this will eventually bring your FPS to a crawl. The most common death for massive fortress is "FPS death", where the player just can't stand playing at a low FPS - or sometimes the game is stuck at 0.

Is there a way to combat this?

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 12:09:00 pm »

You can imagine how much that hurt my FPS.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 12:11:42 pm »

There's a way to adjust the pop-cap limit in the RAWs.

Or you can take preventative measures, like an atomsmasher linked to a repeater in the main hallway.
Adjust the timing for desired effectiveness.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

Minimize the amount of stuff you have lying around. Minimize the amount of pathing any unit has to do on the map. Don't play around with liquids. Just plain avoid anything that could stress your CPU.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 01:19:32 pm »

A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 01:42:13 pm »

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 02:26:52 pm »

Playing on a relatively weak netbook, my peak fortress was 138. Death from grass is greener syndrome to play a human fortress.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 02:34:14 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

Minimize the amount of stuff you have lying around. Minimize the amount of pathing any unit has to do on the map. Don't play around with liquids. Just plain avoid anything that could stress your CPU.

I think embarking in a glacier or a desert helps too.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2 3