Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wooden weapons and armour.  (Read 4060 times)

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wooden weapons and armour.
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:28:29 am »

Is there any use whatsoever for wooden weapons and armour that elves try and sell you? I've got a couple of bows and arrows off of them, but I fail to see how a mahogany cutlass or a pair of wooden battle-trousers can benefit anyone. Unless, that is, the elves are trying to sell us wooden rubbish to sabotage our military and economy in an attempt at overthrowing the mountainhomes.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden weapons and armour.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:42:06 am »

They're complete useless.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:45:41 am »

Even for danger rooms?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:33:43 am »

They burn...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Captain Swing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:55:41 am »

Ah. So sabotage is the reason then?

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:57:09 am »

They burn...

Now, that would be useful - if you could use them like logs, and turn wooden items into charcoal or ash at a woodburning furnace....

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:06:38 am »

!FUN! Fact: wooden weapons count as metal for military uniforms, so yes the elves are indeed sabotaging your military

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 09:07:38 am »

I assume they would make for a nice incense if you drop em on goblins before scorching them with trickles of 1/7 magma

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:16:14 am »

The bows are useful if you have decent steel/iron arrows, other then that, wooden crap is pretty useless.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 11:57:05 am »

Elves are tired of being butchered in wars by metal weapons but they can't use metal because they're stupid hippies . Instead of learning the art of tree burning to forge weapons they try to make everyone else stupid hippies as well.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 12:14:16 pm »

That tactic sounds like something I would try to pull. "If my equipment is going to suck, EVERYONE'S WILL!".

Though, to be honest, I would love to own a pair of wooden pants. Both for style, and the simple fact that I would then be able to say I own a pair of wooden pants.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »

Though, to be honest, I would love to own a pair of wooden pants. Both for style, and the simple fact that I would then be able to say I own a pair of wooden pants.

And a matching pair of socks.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »

The weapons are good to use as sort of limiter weapons. Basically any instance where you want the weapons to do as little damage as possible. Most people use them as training weapons but they can have other uses as well. If you embark in an area with no wood and no metal you might consider buying up a bunch of them to use in weapon traps as an initial defense.

The armor is completely useless. I suppose if you're trying to train doctors but really the less often your dwarves get injured the better.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 12:52:26 pm »

Wooden weapons/armor are useful for training purposes in Year 2 if you haven't bought/made enough metal weapons/armor for all your military recruits.

By the time the 2nd Dwarf caravan comes in Autumn of Year 2, you should have enough metal that you don't need the wooden stuff any more.

Be careful that your fighters don't grow attached to wooden stuff, that's no fun. :(

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 02:19:34 pm »

Wooden spears ought to be alright against wild animals or the odd kobold thief, and a wooden mace or hammer should be pretty effective as well. The best use of vanilla elven weapons, however, is palming them off on a caravan in exchange for something more useful. I actually ended up modding them to use metal weapons after adding caravan guards.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2