Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wooden weapons and armour.  (Read 4056 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden weapons and armour.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 04:30:35 pm »

since I typically attempt to select a dwarf civ that is currently at war with the elves when embarking, i have experienced that wooden spears work better than wooden training spears, but not by much.  wooden swords might as well be tonfa or police batons ... especially if made of rubber wood or willow as the one elven swordsmen ambushers were using.

the wooden armor is useful for wearing if you don't have anything else (even leather seems better, though it probably only because it is lighter and thus has lower encumbrance), and for trading to the humans as dwarves as novelty items.  in my opinion, you would be better off buying leather or bone to make your own armor than spend money on wooden armor.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 06:14:13 pm »

wooden armor in testing now

first up is the kobold with copper dagger test.
it failed, it only stoped one attack,worse than plane leather.
Dont waste time and money on wood armor it just does not work.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:24:36 pm »

Daggers may not be a good weapon for testing armour, they are possibly the best can openers after whips. Their stabs pierce armour extremely well because of their tiny contact area, and can be deep enough to be lethal.

But yes, wood doesn't seem very useful.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 07:38:34 pm »

The only time I've ever seen chausses was on elven ambushers.  Presumably even wooden chausses are better than cloth socks, armor-wise, and cloth socks are the only under-layer footwear that dwarves can make.   I've never had elves offer chausses for trade, though, so I guess the only way to get chausses are to be at war with the elves.

Wooden armor is better than nothing, but since the quality will be crap, you should replace it with masterwork leather, bone, and shell armor whenever possible.  You're sure to have a mood produce a legendary bonecrafter at some point.

If elves made wooden hammers or maces, then there might be a use for wooden weapons, but they don't, so there isn't.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »

I suppose wood armour for your cross-trained work populace could work, would increase their survivability against falls and scratches.

(Increased death from splinters though lol)

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 06:29:21 am »

Wooden weapons are great for dodge-me traps. I only use wooden bolts for hunting.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 03:31:12 pm »

Oh, yeah. Wooden shields are worth keeping if you're short of useful metal and/or fuel, as they're just as efficient as metal ones at parrying and a bit lighter, though the trade-off is that they're less useful for bludgeoning enemies.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 02:38:08 am »

Oh, yeah. Wooden shields are worth keeping if you're short of useful metal and/or fuel, as they're just as efficient as metal ones at parrying and a bit lighter, though the trade-off is that they're less useful for bludgeoning enemies.
Wooden shields still bludgeon helpless victims enemies nicely, however. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 08:06:13 am »

The only time I've ever seen chausses was on elven ambushers.  Presumably even wooden chausses are better than cloth socks, armor-wise, and cloth socks are the only under-layer footwear that dwarves can make.   I've never had elves offer chausses for trade, though, so I guess the only way to get chausses are to be at war with the elves.

I stared into space for a good five minutes trying to picture wooden chainmail knee-socks.

I have a feeling that you could make a riveted (pegged) jump ring out of soaked willow. No law of nature would prevent you from forming these into a sock-shaped object. The abomination is possible.

It should also be possible to carve a chainmail sock out of a solid block of ironwood if you had a laser and a CNC machine, or a dremel and a strange mood.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 04:44:37 pm »

are the wooden weapons useful in weapon traps? i just cant seem to get the junk of some dead elven caravan off my hands
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »

are the wooden weapons useful in weapon traps? i just cant seem to get the junk of some dead elven caravan off my hands

Extremely useful, if the traps are built on 1-tile wide bridges over a chasm or pit. :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 05:40:19 pm »

Extremely useful, if the traps are built on 1-tile wide bridges over a chasm or pit. :)

Filled with syndrome laced water/lava/magma of course!

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »

Of course you can always use wooden weapons and armor as equipment for gladiators who have shammed the beards of their ancestors, whose fate it is to die in the arena as sacrifice for the greater glory of Urist TrumpetLashed the Gloomy Urges, Male dwarf god of Birth, Rebirth, Fortresses and Donkeys.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 06:17:52 pm »

Of course you can always use wooden weapons and armor as equipment for gladiators who have shammed the beards of their ancestors, whose fate it is to die in the arena as sacrifice for the greater glory of Urist TrumpetLashed the Gloomy Urges, Male dwarf god of Birth, Rebirth, Fortresses and Donkeys.

Roman Gladiators were given wooden swords to signify their freedom.
Pages: 1 [2]