Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You  (Read 26609 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 12:58:28 pm »

This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Oh my... gotta sig this one

It deserves it.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 01:18:36 pm »

An abnormal fascination with goblins. Who, before Dwarf Fortress, I only viewed as fantasy cannon fodder.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:44 pm »

An abnormal fascination with goblins. Who, before Dwarf Fortress, I only viewed as fantasy cannon fodder.

I've noticed this one happening too, also same with kobolds
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »

Yesterday during the lunch, guess what I was doing? Yes lunching,  in front of me there was a bowl full of delicious tomatoes and there was a particular tomato slice , it was the most delicious, gorgeous and sexy tomato slice in the history of humanity I just needed to finish chewing what i was eating so I could try the supreme pleasure! But the other person who was lunching with me thought faster and in a swift movement took the tomato slice and proceeded to eat it.

Urist Mchungry cancels eat: Job item lost or destroyed
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 04:59:46 pm »

I have developed a problem where no game is good enough because health is tracked by numbers.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 06:13:56 pm »

I have developed a problem where no game is good enough because health is tracked by numbers.

Me too!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »

Me three.

You know what, I suggest you play a game completely opposite to DF: An extremely simple, reaction-based 2d physics game with levels drawn in vector graphics, like a cave flier or a motocross game. Try Xmoto, it's awesome (and awesomely hard, so you can spend LOTS of time with it).

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »

Occasionally, after extremely long bouts of DF using the default tileset, I'll see an object whose height is roughly twice its width and briefly think that it's actually square.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 08:16:59 am »

My problem is that all other games objects are separated by classes/types like in skyrim, you can mine and do other kind of jobs to extract materials, you can melt/cut/enchant/mix those materials to create a usefull matterial and finally you can transform them into armor pieces, weapons, jewlery after taht you have 3 or more options : Enchant, sell or use the item. The production cycle ends there.
In DF you can mine to gather materials, melt the ore, create a weapon sell it or use it but when you need +coper mugs+ you just melt the weapon and transform the resulting material into mugs and the cycle keeps spinning.
And DF's items have a variety of uses you can even use vomit as a weapon!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »

Peskyninja, it's harder finding something in DF that can't be weaponized.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 01:31:36 pm »

This is a masterwork thread. It menaces with spikes of text.
says a remarkably large amount about what it is doing to you.

sometimes I end up thinking of something epic, start to feel like I really want to do it, then realise I'm acting like a dwarf in a strange mood, and the idea simply goes to the back of my mind once i think about it logically. (I had a thought about learning how to forge, realized that it was stupid and alot like a dwarf in a strange mood (how was I supposed to learn it, and how was I supopsed to get a forge going?) then simply gave up. all within 5 seconds)

Go into a fell rage, roar with laughter, butcher some bread and make master work toast with images of itself and you screaming around some buckets in a foetal position.

Whilst a cat is prostrating itself around an inverted carp.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 01:54:01 pm »

Go into a fell rage, roar with laughter, butcher some bread and make master work toast with images of itself and you screaming around in a foetal position.

Sigged.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »

Go into a fell rage, roar with laughter, butcher some bread and make master work toast with images of itself and you screaming around in a foetal position.

Sigged.
If I could track the honour received from getting sigged, it'd be like [            ] this much.
(I'm terrible with quantities D:)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »

My problem is that all other games objects are separated by classes/types like in skyrim, you can mine and do other kind of jobs to extract materials, you can melt/cut/enchant/mix those materials to create a usefull matterial and finally you can transform them into armor pieces, weapons, jewlery after taht you have 3 or more options : Enchant, sell or use the item. The production cycle ends there.
In DF you can mine to gather materials, melt the ore, create a weapon sell it or use it but when you need +coper mugs+ you just melt the weapon and transform the resulting material into mugs and the cycle keeps spinning.
There's a mod which lets you melt things down in Skyrim.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 04:14:02 pm »

There's a mod which lets you melt things down in Skyrim.

It still needs more digging... And vomit... And DF.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8