Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You  (Read 26612 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: How Dwarf Fortress Influences You
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2011, 07:34:34 pm »

I raise your derp by adding my herp derp dorf.
Just kidding, scary dorf.
That's...not scary. Are you sure you linked to the right video?

It's awesome, but this is 100% scary.
You guys scare easily. I watched this all the time when I was two or so :|
Unless this is supposed to be a joke or something
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »

That's...not scary.

But I got everyone to stay on topic :P
Looking at you hitty.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2011, 07:35:57 pm »

That's...not scary.

But I got everyone to stay on topic :P
Looking at you hitty.

[sarcasm]Ah, fuck you.[/sarcasm]
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2011, 07:37:03 pm »

[/How_Dwarf_Fortress_influences_you]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2011, 08:06:59 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has made me consider derailing a more than acceptable practice in forums.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has made me consider derailing a more than acceptable practice in forums.
It has also made me consider making socks out of my cat.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2011, 09:35:32 am »

You guys scare easily. I watched this all the time when I was two or so :|
Unless this is supposed to be a joke or something

Barney inspires fear and loathing in many quarters, I've found.  It must be because they feel themselves unworthy of his unconditional love and resent his gentle encouragement of kindness and consideration of others, knowing themselves to be, alas, only human and thus prone to failure in those efforts.   

Either that or they just hate getting the song stuck in their head.  I thought it was adorable when my daughter sang it, but others were appalled I was encouraging her in such infamy. 

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

aadeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2011, 05:54:22 am »

Dwarves are now my favorite fantasy race. I rolled a dwarven invoker in a 4e dnd campaign. I feel like they are sort of underrepresented in fantasy stories and games, considering how interesting they are. I've been rereading some Terry Pratchett stories about dwarves (Thud and The Fifth Elephant) with new appreciation.

Dwarf fortress has taught me that losing is fun. I'm more open to tragic endings in stories, because in DF taught me that specacular failures can be entertaining.

DF has also influenced how I think about video games. It has so much depth and complexity but its randomly generated, you can do anything you want, and stories sort of arise naturally out of it. This is the sort of game I want to make some day. 

I've become more interested in geology too. And i dislike elves slightly more than i used to.
"talk is cheap, but letters you have to hit them on the buttons" -Capntastic

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2011, 08:41:23 am »

Dwarves are now my favorite fantasy race. I rolled a dwarven invoker in a 4e dnd campaign. I feel like they are sort of underrepresented in fantasy stories and games, considering how interesting they are. I've been rereading some Terry Pratchett stories about dwarves (Thud and The Fifth Elephant) with new appreciation.

Dwarf fortress has taught me that losing is fun. I'm more open to tragic endings in stories, because in DF taught me that specacular failures can be entertaining.

DF has also influenced how I think about video games. It has so much depth and complexity but its randomly generated, you can do anything you want, and stories sort of arise naturally out of it. This is the sort of game I want to make some day. 

I've become more interested in geology too. And i dislike elves slightly more than i used to.

Their dwarves are the same, their elves are different. Darn ethics.

True this. Except for the last sentence for me. {Human viewpoint.}

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2011, 10:32:30 am »

I started playing as a dwarf in Nethack. I slaughter every elf I see too  :D And sometimes I spare kobolds.

As aadeon said, it can get you interested in geology. I never thought that I'll be googling about stone types and sedimentary layers before.

DF also widened my dictionary. English is my second language, and by playing Dwarf Fortress I discovered many new words, mainly the names of trees, fish, some metals and stones. I even learnt a few new parts of the anatomy by reading the combat logs! You don't learn that stuff in English class.

It got me interested in weapon smiting and the process of making metal alloys. I even started drawing some of those. I mainly drew portraits, human figures and clothes, but now I draw fantasy creatures, weapons, armor and epic battles.

I've learnt that losing is fun. Now I accept defeat with grace by being fascinated when everything goes to hell.

So yeah, DF had quite some influence on me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2011, 10:46:43 am »

I can't believe I completely forgot about this. Just goes to show how much DF has wormed into mah brain D:

Ok, so it's the start of summer 2010. I'm on the river Thames (dragged there by a friend D:), where we start throwing rusty pipes and what not at each other. As usual. Then I find a marble slab, and I was completely struck by how awesome this marble slab was.

It was like a slab.

Made out of marble.

Anyways, my friend tricks me and I lose my marble slab  :'( :'( :'(
Then I find an awesome small boulder. Covered in mud, moss and who knows what, it was a lump of bituminous coal, magnetite and gold all in one.
Year later, that marble slab is now a trophy and that boulder is still awesome :D my friend actually has a plaque in front of it saying how "He beasted me out of my marble." WUT.
...And yes I did carry the boulder home. From the heart of metropolitan London. Best looks I've gotten from people on the bus in the whole year.

Protomith

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_GEEK] [WEAPON:DICE] [PREFSTRING:intelligence]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »

Well, I hate elves now. Used to like them, actually.

I also play as a Dwarf in games with the option to do so a lot now, and I'm now super excited about games like DF, like Prison Architect.

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2011, 10:30:03 pm »

Made a dwarf monk in D&D named Urist McFisherdwarf. Gave him the flaws of Sociopath, Incompetent, and "Substance Addiction." I also now routinely wear socks for months on end.
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »

My puppy showed an extreme interest in socks, more so than for treats or toys, and my immediate thought was "He must be part dwarf!"

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2012, 09:55:29 pm »

I am now borderline obsessive-compulsive when it comes to building games. Everything must be symmetrical and neat when possible.

Surprisingly, my forts still look like a mess.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8