Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrow problem  (Read 321 times)

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrow problem
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:50:14 pm »

i defined a panic burrow for sieges and other possible creators of fun. the first time i used it was at a goblin siege. civilians went there no problems and my military took care of the problem. but there is a catch my military got hurt and some preatty badly messed up due to my cannon fodder being burrowed. with other words All my wardogs went to the burrow even thogh they were assigned to the military. is there a way around this? also is there a downside to assigning melee dorfs two dogs each do those dogs take combat space that could have otherwise been occupied with a better combatant?

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burrow problem
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:50:39 am »

also i forgot i want to make a golden statue but all i know is to make it from a mason workshop where do i make statues from gold bars or native gold ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:31:51 am »

I believe that if you actually assign the war dogs to your soldiers then they will follow them into battle. As for the downsides to assigning the dogs to the soldiers the only drawback is that the soldiers then look on them as pets, meaning that they will get unhappy thoughts when the dogs die. Assigning a million war dogs to a single crossbowdwarf still works as a viable strategy however, you just need to make sure to pamper your soldiers so if their pets die they don't go crazy.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:47:16 am »

i defined a panic burrow for sieges and other possible creators of fun. the first time i used it was at a goblin siege. civilians went there no problems and my military took care of the problem. but there is a catch my military got hurt and some preatty badly messed up due to my cannon fodder being burrowed. with other words All my wardogs went to the burrow even thogh they were assigned to the military. is there a way around this? also is there a downside to assigning melee dorfs two dogs each do those dogs take combat space that could have otherwise been occupied with a better combatant?

Recovering wounded from the still raging battlefield is risky and difficult, but if you want to do it you can designate your panic burrow over the wounded dwarf in the middle of the fight. This enables your civilians to take the job of retrieving the dwarf to the hospital. Keep in mind that you will get job cancellation if the civilian sees any enemies that are too close.

War animals will follow any dwarves they are assigned to. The few times that I tried assigning war animals directly to a military dwarf resulted in a tantruming dwarf (admittedly I didn't try to max out their happy thoughts). One trick some people use is to have a military dwarf with animal trainer labour and have him train all the war animals. The animals will follow their trainer until assigned somewhere else and the trainer forms no emotional attachment to his followers. Especially smaller war animals like dogs tend to not do too well against metal armed and armoured goblins, they're at most glorified meatshields who may get a lucky kill before their demise. Personally I try to pasture the dogs somewhere on my outer perimeter that I can seal off. When the goblins attack, I send out my militia and release the hounds in an attempt to achieve a somewhat sync'd attack.

Other than the bad thought your dwarves get from dying pets (if you assign them directly to the dwarves), there are no cons in having two or more animals per dwarf in combat.

To make metal statues, you need a smelter to smelt the gold ore into bars by a furnace operator, and then a forge where your metalsmith will forge the gold into a statue.