Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: remove ramps after channeling.  (Read 3201 times)

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
remove ramps after channeling.
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:02:31 pm »

How do I remove the ramps leftover from channeling without trapping my dwarves down in the hole?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: remove ramps after channeling.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:15:45 pm »

Make a staircase down to the bottom of the channel so your dwarves can use it to get back up.

Dig an extra ramp, then drop a (natural) wall on top of it once the miners are out.

Use DFHack's deramp feature.

The best option is probably to dig a staircase or another ramp 1 tile away from the channel's edge, then construct a wall between the channel and the staircase after the ramps are removed. Or, construct a floor over the top of the stairs/ramp. Alternatively, for a moat, leave a way out on the side of the moat away from your fort and don't worry about it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:34 am »

Can't you just use d-z to remove ramps? After digging an escape route obviously.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 01:05:58 am »

You can mine out ramps with [d] [z], just leave one behind so your miner dwarfs can get back up. No hacks or work around necessary

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:43:17 am »

The question is obviously (to me, being OCD about this kind of thing myself) a matter of removing the evidence after digging them out.  (40D's channelling without ramps was nice for these visuals.  Also for defence.  Of course, there's something to be said with the current method, and I've adapted accordingly.)

There really isn't (at the moment) a way to make it 'clean', unless you have a lower exit that you can wall off (can be disguised among other smoothed walls, if not in soil).  There might be an option to obsidian-cast over it as well, but I've never gone that far, myself.

Alternately, it might be a question about defensibility, in which case you can (like I do) leave ramps down from the outside of a ditch, except (mostly for the visuals, not practically different in any other manner) where a draw bridge lowers to let the externally-exiting internal-ramp-derampers back 'inside' the enclosure.

If it's a particularly deep cutting, I'll often leave an 'island' in the middle of the mutli-tile-wide channel with a ramp Z+1 up from the bottom onto a pillar (often, itself, a number of Zs below original ground level), and a drawbridge connecting that refuge with an entry/exit in the wall of that channel.  Then the miners (and bone-collectors, if your enemies are going be plummeting down) can enter and exit at your will without there being a vulnerable path always open.  (It would be even be [CONSTRUCTION_DESTROYER:2]-proof, if such a designation actually existed.  Leastwise the non-flying possessors of that tag. :) )

A further alternative: exit down below the bed of the ditch, and out through a U-bend, with a bridge to cover it (and another at the inner side, for security?).  A bit of planning is needed to make sure there's another ingress/egress there for the mechanic connecting up the "open this" mechanisms in order to make the gap passable again, but this temporary access can then be removed/disassembled with the bridge 'open'.  Make a feature of it!  Connect it to a water(/magma)-drain, if you're flooding the channels!  You could at least prepare for the possibility, even if you're not going to do it straight away.

A visually stunning method, though, might be to make the walls of the channel totally stairwells (like those empty dwarven mountainhomes, you get (got?) to see in Adventure Mode.  And then, when you're happy with the channel (or earlier, if you don't need one particular side to access the construction/destruction zone) just floor over the ground-level (or equivalent) down-stairs to stop all access (and exit).

Some of these need more work, some virtually no more than just leaving the miners in the bottom.