Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I think I just lucked out.  (Read 1768 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I just lucked out.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 09:57:59 am »

Just so you know, 2 squiggles is too high for a dorf to stand in, and 1 squiggle is safe to walk in (but not to build or work, and it'll cause 'could not find path' spam).

This is inaccurate, I'm afraid. Use the Loo[k] feature and you'll see that there's a number (out of seven) for each tile of water or magma. This tells you how much is present in that tile, and allows you to figure out just how far breaching that tile will spread, assuming there are no water or magma sources flowing into that tile. Single 'squiggles' are often used to denote flowing liquid, while doubles that reliably stay doubles are generally still. Given the opportunity, one tile of 7/7 water will spread out to become seven tiles of 1/7 water, before evaporating. 1/7 water is fine to walk through and build things in, while 2/7 or higher can push stuff around and will cause job cancellation. In my experience, dwarves will attempt to path through water as high as 3/7, which can cause amusing instances of dwarves endlessly trying to rush along a narrow walkway only to be swept right off the edge and run back to the start.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 11:54:09 am »

Just so you know, 2 squiggles is too high for a dorf to stand in, and 1 squiggle is safe to walk in (but not to build or work, and it'll cause 'could not find path' spam).

4 is too high to stand in 2 is just too high to evaporate.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:03:31 pm »

4 is too high to stand in 2 is just too high to evaporate.

This is inaccurate, I'm afraid. Use the Loo[k] feature and you'll see that there's a number (out of seven) for each tile of water or magma. This tells you how much is present in that tile, and allows you to figure out just how far breaching that tile will spread, assuming there are no water or magma sources flowing into that tile. Single 'squiggles' are often used to denote flowing liquid, while doubles that reliably stay doubles are generally still. Given the opportunity, one tile of 7/7 water will spread out to become seven tiles of 1/7 water, before evaporating. 1/7 water is fine to walk through and build things in, while 2/7 or higher can push stuff around and will cause job cancellation. In my experience, dwarves will attempt to path through water as high as 3/7, which can cause amusing instances of dwarves endlessly trying to rush along a narrow walkway only to be swept right off the edge and run back to the start.

Regardless, two squiggles is still too high to walk in. Any dwarf standing in two squiggles will have to swim.
[Signature]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 07:09:17 pm »

Regardless, two squiggles is still too high to walk in. Any dwarf standing in two squiggles will have to swim.

Not really, you could have two squiggles at 1 2 or 3 if the water's still, and dwarves still wouldn't need to swim.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 06:50:38 am »

Not really, you could have two squiggles at 1 2 or 3 if the water's still, and dwarves still wouldn't need to swim.

I'm fairly certain the number of squiggles represents the depth of the water, except in rivers and brooks where it changes to show the flow direction.
[Signature]
Pages: 1 [2]