Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What exactly does a hunter need to actually go and hunt  (Read 12209 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What exactly does a hunter need to actually go and hunt
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:17:41 am »

I confess, reluctance to hunt is better than the overexuberance of previous versions of DF, but I've got a hunter walking around with a crossbow and full quiver of arrows who's refusing to hunt.  So, how do i prod this dwarf into actually doing something?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What exactly does a hunter need to actually go and hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:27:36 am »

For one thing, he needs bolts, not arrows.

You also need huntable creatures that he can reach.  Is there anything on the surface that he could be hunting?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:29:24 am »

I confess, reluctance to hunt is better than the overexuberance of previous versions of DF, but I've got a hunter walking around with a crossbow and full quiver of arrows who's refusing to hunt.  So, how do i prod this dwarf into actually doing something?

He needs a quiver full of bolts, a crossbow, and will automatically look for above ground animals to hunt, kill and bring back to a stockpile for butchering.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 11:29:56 am »

You might want to check if your hunter is assigned in burrow or his moving is blocked

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 12:09:37 pm »

Also check from the military[m] screen if your bolts/arrows in ammunitions [f] are allowed for hunters.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »

Did you turn your hunter into a marksdwarf? They might get uniform issues in the same way as woodcutter-axedwarves do.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 02:35:57 pm »

This may sound like an obvious as hell question but... Does he have hunting enabled?...
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »

I never let my dwarves hunt. When I need meat I assign one or two to a crossbow squad and send them out to kill a specific animal.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »

I never let my dwarves hunt. When I need meat I assign one or two to a crossbow squad and send them out to kill a specific animal.
AKA the good ol' Hunt With Your Military.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 05:14:37 pm »

AKA the good ol' Hunt With Your Military.

It has pros and cons.

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:27 pm »

i can't keep my damn immigrant dwarfs from hunting even though i wish them to... always forget to run off one or two hunters or fisherdwarfs who then walk away and cause me to panic when the alert messages show up.. or cause miasma in my butcheries.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »

Passive hunting is great in savage biomes. With a well-oiled meat and bone industry you can have Lavish Meal/R on all the time and be rolling in mad money every time a caravan rolls around. Once the hunter gains master or legendary I draft him into my marks squad and assign another one (or two). Doing this hunting manually would take way too much time, I think.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 04:22:19 am »

honestly, migrants bring SO MANY animals with them these days, i haven't had to hunt in ages.
literally every 3rd migrant has a horse or a reindeer or SOMETHING yummy in tow.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 05:39:33 am »

If you want to train a ninja-dwarf, he needs ambushing skill. Dwarves gain ambushing skill by hunting.

What ambushing skill does is allow the dwarf to run closer to enemies before they notice them. This is very useful for dispatching goblins with ranged weapons, especially if you don't have better equipment than they do. This is because you can sneak that little badass in and target the ranged units because the goblins won't know that he is there while they are killing your animals or drafted fishery workers. Usually the melee goblins will run ahead of the shooters and you can ambush the shooters if the hunter dwarf doesn't get ideas of his own first and charge too soon.

Note that the goblins need to be distracted or they will still spot and shoot the hunter (although maybe legendary ambusher cancels this, I dunno)

Another bonus is that if you have a forest that needs chopping, you can give the ambusher dwarf the woodcutter job after you are satisfied with the level of skill he is at. The goblins will ignore him and spring their ambush (hopefully on a pastured animal; I spread pastures all over for this reason). This means that if the woodcutter was out chopping, then the goblins may be between the woodcutter and the fort entrance. This sets the woodcutter/ambusher up for an ambush of his own on the goblin ranged troops as I mentioned above.

Note that once he attacks the dwarf becomes visible to the goblins again. That means if he has a crossbow and snipes one of two ranged goblins down, the second is likely to turn and shoot him if he is closer than the goblins previous target, while the dwarf likely will continue shooting at the first goblin.

That's why I use axes. They will either incapacitate or kill the first goblin and run to the next with an axe. Just make sure if you do this that you assign the exact axe he is already holding as a woodcutter. (and turn woodcutter job off without unpausing I suppose, just to be sure)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:50:46 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:54 pm »

The problem with that is that dwarves' ambusher skill does nothing unless they're sneaking, and they're only sneaking when they're hunting. They immediately stop sneaking when they see a target to shoot at. Hunters will engage sieging forces, but as you said, it's incredibly dangerous for them unless the enemies have a target closer to them as a distraction. The hunter will indefinitely be cut down, since the hunter will not retreat until they run out of ammo and the invaders will close far too fast for them to unload a significant portion of their quiver, and the sieging force will not retreat unless the hunter was skilled enough to kill a good portion of the sqaud or the leader. En masse, they can be a very effective defense, since while they're sneaking invaders will not path to them. It just goes downhill once they decide to start shooting, because they stop sneaking.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2