Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: McPersistantWeaver wants to collect web! Really friggen badly!  (Read 576 times)

McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
McPersistantWeaver wants to collect web! Really friggen badly!
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:59:37 am »

fairly new to DF, and so far i've had no desire to spin cloth or make clothes
a dorf got all moody in the dining hall and had a few novice skills and wasnt picking a workshop so i just hunkered down and built the remaining few i didnt have yet (turns out he wanted glassmaking)

well i had a weaver sitting around looking at walls too and now a loom, as well as no desire to farm sand, so i let McBoringBlower go insane. Mcweaver somehow with his superman xray vision saw the troves of spider silk in the caverns below but couldnt find a path so instead decided to spam my announcements every second with his dilemma. yeah, like 10 anouncements per second.

is there a way to shut him up less tedious than searching every corner of the caverns for the spot he is referring to?

edit: cancalling collect web at the loom doesnt help. it auto-queues the moment i unpause. also, disabling labors and miscs on the weavers general tab doesnt do the trick. he really wants to get that web. i would unassign weaving to his labor prefs but i know that will only work until a new migrant decides weaving will be his life goal
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:05:20 am by McUselessNoble »

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McPersistantWeaver wants to collect web! Really friggen badly!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:19:06 am »

Auto collect webs is a setting similar to to auto butcher and auto tan hide, which you can turn off by going to the workshop orders with [W]-[w]. Hope that helps.

McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:23:25 am »

aaaah perfect. that does help and is very NOT tedious. so far i've only used work orders for dumping and stockpiling refuse outside. this definitely deserves more of my attention now

Thanks!

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:32:21 pm »

In addition, instead of canceling the job, only to have it re-queue, you can suspend it. I suspend the automatically generated "weave thread into cloth job" when I first set up a loom, because I want my dwarves to collect all the webs as fast as possible, while I know the caverns are still safe. Then I unsuspend it and they can weave the cloth at their leisure. This also gives the hospital time to grab some thread for suturing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:23:15 pm »

In addition, instead of canceling the job, only to have it re-queue, you can suspend it. I suspend the automatically generated "weave thread into cloth job" when I first set up a loom, because I want my dwarves to collect all the webs as fast as possible, while I know the caverns are still safe. Then I unsuspend it and they can weave the cloth at their leisure. This also gives the hospital time to grab some thread for suturing.

Grow rope reeds and pig tails?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »

For general use, yes, but you still need a little for moods. On the other hand, I've never seen a civ that didn't have access to at least one kind of silk, so one full bin stuck in a corner and forbidden should be enough for several years of moods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.