Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Dorfs.  (Read 921 times)

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training Dorfs.
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:27:33 pm »

Hey. i made one of my embarking Dorfs a Axeman + leader + teacher. now he is in charge of a squad of dorfs. i have assigned them barraks (ongly bed in the barracks) and ordered them to train in the barracks ive set a stiff training schedule training 12 months my squad is 6 dorfs. but ive ongly assigned 4 of them or more to train at a time.i know they have weapons, they have also been given the active/train command. but now they just stand in the barracks like they have been eating psycadelics and stare at each other. are they training?? does teacher help at all in training. anyways i try to describe my situation. but this is the first time ive succsessfuly assigned a military. O great cheaftains of Fortresses far beound please heed my call :D

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Dorfs.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:29:12 pm »

oh also sorry if i posted in the wrong part of the forum. i was kinda in a hurry as events are unfolding as we speak :D

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:50:49 pm »

Should probably go in DF Gameplay Questions.
Anyways, the problem is that bed-designated barracks are simply where your military sleeps, not where they train. In order to train, you'll need to construct a weapon rack or armor stand, then go into its [q]uery menu. Press [r] to make it a barracks, and then [t] to let individual squads train there. You can tell if they're training by looking at their job, which should say something about demonstrations, drills, or sparring.
About the Teacher skill, yes, it helps quite a bit for dwarfs leading demonstrations.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:22:29 pm »

thanks man. lets just keep this thread short and let it slip into oblivion. your answer got my dwarfes training so i dont need anymore help

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 10:55:57 am »

Hang on, is that right about the weapon rack/armor stand? I've never heard that before and the Barracks page of the wiki says nothing about it.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 11:38:35 am »

They can train by the bed too as long as its assigned as barracks and has training enabled on certain squad

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 12:04:41 pm »

They can train by the bed too as long as its assigned as barracks and has training enabled on certain squad

Really? I thought a bed designated barracks was just to allow dwarves to sleep in the barracks.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 01:01:05 pm »

They can train in barracks designated from beds.

OP, what are your dwarfs doing when you look at them with the "v" command?
There was a bug that soldiers would only properly train when they were of at least novice level in their chosen weapon.
I don't know if it still exists, but i have a Noobsquad because of that. Everyone who gets to novice will go to a proper squad. In the noobsquad they have no schedule and so only do individual combat drills.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »

I tried another experiment embarking with 3 dwaves - Proficient Teachers, and Armor User, Shield User and Dodger. I then had these 3 dwarves train up to legendary miners, and recruited them. A 4th dwarf Proficient in most fighting skills turned up in the first immigrant wave, so I also trained him up to Legendary miner and recruited him too.

It was particularly interesting to look at their sparring results, Legendary miners parry A LOT. Apparently one of the main functions of weapon skill is parrying. Shield User trained via sparring quickly and consistently for dwarves who had it. What I am thinking, is that in combat, there is a preference for defensive skills:
1st Blocking is tried (shield)
2nd Parrying is tried (weapon)
3rd Dodging is tried.
4th Armor is tried.

This would mean that it's very hard to train Dodging and Armor User if a dwarf has a weapon and a shield and is good with them, but it's easy to train shield because it always gets priority as a defensive move.

What I still haven't managed to figure out is why dwarves with a high weapon skill, train shield more quickly. Maybe there is some kind of penalty for using (different) equipment in each hand, and a high weapon skill negates that penalty, allowing the shield to be used more effectively. This might explain why in arena results, having a shield can actually be a disability vs just having a single weapon. It would also explain why a dwarf with only a shield trains shield user more quickly - he can block more effectively because he's not also ineptly trying to use a weapon. This is the explanation I'll provisionally accept.

In any case, I wasn't particularly impressed by the Legendary Miner squad. It did take them a few months to train up their mining skill, during which time they could have been developing their student skill. And they never become "real" military dwarves". On the other hand it was nice to have a tree farm and my fortress all dug out. Given the extreme importance of weapon skill, it seems like a great loss for the new teacher to be unable to teach weapon skill (yes yes you can get a miner-recruit to mine first, but that's work).