Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Craftstudio: Minecraft vs GameMaker Online  (Read 8355 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Craftstudio: Minecraft vs GameMaker Online
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22939.0

I'm building a game/tool named CraftStudio. It features block-based 3D modelling, a voxel map editor and (optionally visual) scripting. And it's all real-time: you can make a game (or movie) just like you would play Minecraft, with a bunch of buddies. Setup a project, invite your friends and start building awesome stuff!

This thing looks hella cool. It's currently pre-alpha but you can grab it right now and play at http://craftstud.io/

Update:

Hey there!

Just thought I'd let you guys know I've started a crowd-funding campaign in order to complete CraftStudio and have Thomas Frick, an artist friend, join me in making the first full game with it. Would you guys consider contributing a few bucks? Thanks!

If you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear them!

Also I'm very excited, someone has started a game project with CraftStudio and posted some pretty cool screenshots!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:19:53 pm by Tilla »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftstudio: Minecraft vs GameMaker Online
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:19 pm »

I just ruined my pants. Can you imagine what someone like Deon could do with this?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:14 am »

It's not too functional in it's current state, but this really has some cool potential.

A sort of mix between Little Big Planet and Minecraft.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:52:56 am »

hmm well very intresting.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 07:19:17 pm »

Naturally, my first course of action is to make it 20% cooler.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »

Interesting. What kind of palette range does it have?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 05:26:55 pm »

Interesting. What kind of palette range does it have?
You can paint your own textures with a full RGB palette.  I just used simple flat-color blocks (as shown by the texturesheet on the left) for that, though.

Also of note: Somebody else deleted my sprite.  The UI for restoring them isn't implemented yet.
Ah well.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:29:49 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

elisee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:38:08 pm »

Totally crashing this conversation I just found by spying on Google. Just wanted to let you know, Jay, that I restored your asset and there's now some server commands to do so yourself (see the Commands page on the wiki).

Also, your awesome pony is awesome.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »

Glad to see ya Elisee, I found this game originally from the IndieGames.com post :) Will be watching from the sidelines mainly for now but it's definitely a great idea.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:25:43 am »

So is it a trying to be a script-able platform like Byond?
Thank you based dwarf.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 10:04:35 am »

Totally crashing this conversation I just found by spying on Google. Just wanted to let you know, Jay, that I restored your asset and there's now some server commands to do so yourself (see the Commands page on the wiki).

Also, your awesome pony is awesome.

Is it just me or does bay12 forums attract indie makes like socks on battlefields attracts dwarfs?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 12:12:00 pm »

Well, DF is the most elitist of the roguelike/indie games and therefore our forum is also. There is no better place to get feedback than here.

Disclaimer: I might be biased.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

elisee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 08:20:13 am »

So is it a trying to be a script-able platform like Byond?

(I could have answered this 3 months ago, but it looks like I forgot to subscribe to this thread ^^)

I never heard of Byond before (currently checking it out) but yes, CraftStudio is going to have scripting support. I'm looking to make it very visual while keeping it keyboard-editable for power users.

I've just released initial scene support so you can now put objects & maps together in a scene:

(I posted more screenshots of cool stuff people have made here and here)

I still have a bunch of improvements to make to scenes and then I'll finally be able to move onto implementing scripting!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:41:22 am by elisee »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:46 am »

This looks intriguing.  I'm gonna throw out a few questions, feel free to ignore any/all of them.

Are colours applied to entire blocks or individual faces?
Is there a way to alter different cosmetic properties (such as specularity or bump maps)?  If not, is this a planned/possible feature?
How will animation work?  I assume it'll be keyframed, but will it be a case of using armatures or creating a separate mesh for each frame?
Which scripting languages do you plan on supporting?
Do you plan to include any form of physics?
How about customisable lighting?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

elisee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 10:06:26 am »

Are colours applied to entire blocks or individual faces?

In models and maps, you get a canvas you can paint on. When creating new blocks, you can lay out the block's unwrapped shape however you want by dragging it on the canvas. There are 3 unwrap modes :
  • collapsed: all faces are on top on each other so you get the same texture on all faces
  • full: it's like cutting the box open and laying it out
  • custom allows moving the faces independently from one another so you can pretty much do anything you want
There are transform buttons too so you can rotate / mirror individual faces.

Maps offer various shapes (cube, stairs, pane, post, slope, etc.) and I plan to add more over time. Models are blocks-only but I plan on adding a few sliders to deform them so you can make pointy things or roundish shapes by combining a few pretty easily.

You might want to check out this little timelapse I did a while ago of me building an elephant model.

Is there a way to alter different cosmetic properties (such as specularity or bump maps)?  If not, is this a planned/possible feature?
How about customisable lighting?

Not yet but I really hope to get to a point where I can add some real lighting (Global Illumination and whatnot) and various material properties. Still probably a long way off though as I've got more pressing stuff to do.

How will animation work?  I assume it'll be keyframed, but will it be a case of using armatures or creating a separate mesh for each frame?

Model animation support is implemented and working since last month. One of the many advantages on having the models made out of blocks is you don't need to rig them / add a separate armature. You just use the model's block hierarchy and add keyframes for position / angle / scale / block size / pivot point (I plan on adding texture keyframe later so you'll be able to have animated faces & stuff :D). I find it works surprisingly well.

I made a video of a walk cycle animation while I was developing the feature. A friend and I also made a full animated pony walk cycle a few days ago together. I have yet to upload the timelapse but you can have a look at the resulting animation at the end of this other video.

Which scripting languages do you plan on supporting?

Still a bit on the fence for this, but I'll probably go with Lua as the underlying scripting language (Alternatively I'm considering using C# / Mono). If you have suggestions or preferences I'd like to here them :).

I plan to have a puzzle-piece-based visual scripting system similar to what AppInventor or Stencyl do, but make the scripts editable without having to click through mountains of dialogs as I really think it hampers power users. Basically I'm shooting for the best of both worlds (raw scripting / visual scripting).

But I'll start with something very simple and improve usability as I release new versions.

Do you plan to include any form of physics?

Yes I'll hook up a 3D physics engine.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:11:09 am by elisee »
Pages: [1] 2