Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28879 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2013, 06:34:28 am »

I'd like to amend that. Ship designing a-la Remember Tomorrow.

Now if only it had research a-la Remember Tomorrow, this could probably be my most favorite 4X game ever.
Never heard of it. What was their research model?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:30 am »

There probably were similar systems in later games, but in RT you didn't research any given "tech". The research was a series of sliders and toggles. Firstly, there was the "scientist work-months" income, which was dependent on the amount of labs you had, but where it comes from isn't important. This pool of "scientist points" was then split in two by a master research slider - into "general sciences" and "applied fields". General sciences were only Physics, Mathematics, Biology, and Chemistry (the game didn't focus on non-combat aspects too much, nowadays Economics and Psychology could probably be added too), and each had a slider that allocated a fraction of the total General Sciences points to it. As points in General Sciences accumulated, Applied Fields became unlocked. Applied Fields number in the dozens, so having a slider for each would be silly - instead each field is "on" or "off", and the total Applied Fields points are split evenly between all actively researched fields. Accumulating points in specific Applied Fields, and sometimes General Sciences, is what makes specific technologies available.
Now, as for the individual technologies - each has two sets of requirements. The first set of requirements is usually fairly lax, and determines the state of accumulated research at which the player can see the second set of requirements, at which the technology actually unlocks. This allowed you to not so much "research a tech", but to more or less "steer the research towards that tech", unlocking related technologies as "collateral" on the way to the thing you wanted.

The technologies were actually arrayed in something of a "tree", as there was a rather clear progression from certain technologies to more powerful ones, but it happened naturally due to research progress instead of being a predetermined sequence. Also back then (1997) nobody thought to randomize the tech tree or at least the requirement sets, so on the whole it was pretty static, only appearing to work in different ways because of the different distributions of research allocations you were likely to have on different playthroughs. Still, on the overall it still seems to me like the most natural-feeling research system in 4X games to date. It was unpolished, and more than a little glitchy (you unlocked heavy graviton cannons before normal ones, though who knows? might have been intended), but it felt right.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2013, 10:23:31 am »

Crap, the game looks so good. Is there a demo or something?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2013, 02:51:07 pm »

I wouldn't recommend anyone rushing to buy this game right now. It IS awesome but it's deeply flawed at the moment and I think balancing and tweaking is going to make for a long and tumultuous beta.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2013, 03:45:11 pm »

I wouldn't recommend anyone rushing to buy this game right now. It IS awesome but it's deeply flawed at the moment and I think balancing and tweaking is going to make for a long and tumultuous beta.

Haha, this game sat in my cart for 4 days before I pulled the trigger about 6 hours before I read this post.

Oh well, it isn't like I don't enjoy some games that are buggy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2013, 03:46:23 pm »

Can you elaborate on the flaws? Right now I'm not seeing anything I wouldn't expect from a beta. It needs more content, more features and more polish, but I see no "deep" flaws so far.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2013, 04:35:32 pm »

The game is great, it's just that balance and AI need a lot of work.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2013, 05:45:52 pm »

How many updates have been released so far since launch? I mean, is there any sign that the devs will in fact continue to tweak balance, AI, and whatever else still needs work?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »

There was a week or so with patches DAILY. I bet there is nothing to worry about that. I just don't like how techs are implemented, they just don't give you nothing new...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:58 pm »

The game is in beta and true to that fashion the dev is updating fairly regularly and there is no signs of that ending any time soon. It's a safe investment, but the game as it is now suffers so much from balance that easily frustrated or discouraged people would be wise to wait a bit. However, if you want a hand in guiding the development a little, then go ahead.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2013, 06:08:31 pm »

I don't have the money to invest in it anyway :P

I was just curious, is all. This does look pretty cool so far, but I just wanted to get an impression on how much development is still being done. Sounds like a decent amount.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2013, 02:50:16 pm »

I've actually found what was bugging me in the pace of the game, and the reason one could say it's currently very much broken.

No maximum ship range.

Make a warp scout design with two powerplants, and spam it. You'll have even an Epic-sized galaxy mapped out within half an hour. Combined with the automated colonizers, this makes for some rather... bad pacing problems. And this is not even counting possible multiplayer issues. The precursor ships guarding some systems does dampen this a bit, but only a bit.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2013, 04:13:35 am »

I found a bug in the ship designer...

If you put in lazer PD and move their targeting to other angles, and then place vulcan PD in their place, the vulcan PD keeps the reassigned angles, even though it is normally a forwards only gun.

Im about to build one and see the ship is bugged as well as designer.

Edit: this is a designer only display bug. the actual ship acts normally.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:17:35 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2013, 04:17:29 am »

Actually, PD is PD. It should either not say it's PD, or be able to fire in an arc. That's one of the few things I'm seriously considering to just mod out. Make a forward-firing Vulcan gun, and a PD Vulcan that is a mini-turret (primary differences being mass and power cost). Same for the mini-laser, too.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2013, 07:44:26 am »

Wait, you can rotate firing arcs?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21