Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28854 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2013, 08:24:33 pm »

Platforms cannot turn, making their available weapons somewhat limited.

If you get a large freighter and load it with 12 orbital bombs, shields, and zero cargo, it'll try to ferry passengers on 'auto freighter' rules, even if it's part of a fleet.

Point Defense Lasers are worthless for actual point defense.

There's no real way to move troops with any reliability.

These aren't so much bugs are just things that need to be dealt with.  AND CUSTOM KEYBINDING this isn't an XBox, we have the luxury of having our own keyboards and non-standard buttons available!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »

Next patch will allow an optional rule that force no warps within the systems, sound like it will make defense much more interesting and combat less chaotic.

I have experimented with some carrier designs and while they are not useless I find them very situational. If your enemy have missiles or beams, the fighters get annihilated. They do make a decent distraction though while your main force go to work.

And yeah stations are pretty bad, they are not more armored than a standard cruiser and they cannot move so they are sitting ducks. They actually cost about the same as an equivalent firepower ship, so I don't quite see the advantage. There is a tech that reduce their upkeep, but that's it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:44:34 pm by Drakale »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2013, 09:52:20 pm »

So I finally made up my mind and bought this.

Pretty good. I'm learning the ropes, but it's not too complex. The only bugs I've encountered were a couple of crashes, one randomly on startup, and another one that took place one time I clicked on the Shipyard button. Something that seemed off, playing Humans, is the pretty huge size of the heavy fighter hull. It shouldn't be much larger than the base (scout) fighter hull, but it was bigger than even my prototype ship, which I'm guessing it's supposed to be something like a cruiser. Also, I'd like a way to rename planets. And systems, but I haven't tried that.

Also had to redesign the Small Transport template, and give it more emphasis on warp drives rather than conventional ones. Swapping out two of the four standard engines for FTL drives more than tripled their superluminal speed (7k -> 23k). Should do the same with the colony vessels, as it makes no sense to focus on sublight performance on civilian ships.

And damned be those Remnants (Precursors :D). I thought I could tackle one of their squadrons with my flagship and a trio of Flak Hunters, but no dice. No dice at all. I guess it'll be a while before I can seize those juicy planets.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2013, 10:29:34 pm »

Yeah, REALLY need the ability to redo the default designs.  Any experienced player just treats them as clutter :P

The deal with Remnant ships, is those heavy drones have shields!  For most starting empires, that's brutal.

And yes, the heavy fighter hulls are hilariously sized.  But they're sized according to their grid layout, and fitting more items means they become larger pictures.  Talk a look at the Vulcar (I think, the wolves anyways) and see their heavy fighters.  It's amazing that you unlock the heavy fighter along with the frigate and it's the same size, yet can be deployed from a carrier ship!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2013, 12:12:36 am »

the same fighter can also fit fighter bays that could launch more fighters, although i believe you can no longer have the fighters launch copies of itself
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2013, 04:54:20 am »

Doesn't the HF hull still have fighter-like stats? Like, while it's as big as a frigate it's still made of toilet paper unless you armour the crap out of it?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2013, 06:35:37 am »

Yes, Heavy Fighters are fragile. I have read and been trying the method of using groups of 20 regular fights fitted with missiles instead of 6-10 heavy fighters and it seems the swarms of 20 fighters have better impact and survivability. Even later on, I have had good luck with 2 groups of 20 fighters with a supply frigate holding off a otherwise superior force.
It should be noted, however, that supply ships are a little buggy in their behavior at the moment.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2013, 07:37:54 am »

Next patch will allow an optional rule that force no warps within the systems, sound like it will make defense much more interesting and combat less chaotic.
Isn't that rule already in? When I start a new game there is already an optional rule button for 'In-System FTL Speed Modifier" and if set to 0% it prohibits warp in systems. I haven't tested it, does that not work? Its been there since the game went to steam at least.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2013, 07:53:24 am »

Interesting. I'm a huge Master of Orion II fan, and this game was obviously modeled after that (even says so at the bottom of the kickstarter). I'm gonna have to check this out. Unfortunately it doesn't have the turn based options that made combat in MoOII so fun, but I guess everything these days is action based real-time combat.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2013, 07:54:48 am »

It's not turn based, but I use the spacebar/pause a lot.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2013, 08:03:41 am »

Isn't that rule already in? When I start a new game there is already an optional rule button for 'In-System FTL Speed Modifier" and if set to 0% it prohibits warp in systems. I haven't tested it, does that not work? Its been there since the game went to steam at least.
Ah, the rule doesn't work right. If you set it to 0 it DOES inhibit any warping in a system but the AI doesn't know how to handle that. Their ship warps to the edge of the system and sits there 'in warp' forever going nowhere.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2013, 08:51:03 am »

Gah! I was renaming one of my frigates and the game autosaved or something as I was typing. Suddenly once the game unfroze all I could do was draw infinite amounts of AO boxes fro freighters and couldn't get out of it. Had to close it through the task manager :(
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:14 am »

please report these bugs. They are good about fixing them fast, but we truly are the testers for this game. I have had tons of ships get stuck at the edge of solar systems and not move unless I set new destinations.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:38 am »

please report these bugs. They are good about fixing them fast, but we truly are the testers for this game. I have had tons of ships get stuck at the edge of solar systems and not move unless I set new destinations.
Do you have the optional 'No FTL in systems" rule on?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2013, 11:03:16 am »

Do you have the optional 'No FTL in systems" rule on?
Had it on in one game, now seems to be stuck on, despite me changing it before each new game.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21