Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28884 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »

Gave it a quick whirl, but not for too long since I'm trying to do the 7drl :)

It's definitely looks pretty polished at this point, though the UI needs a wee bit more work. Overall it looks like it's coming up nice and solid.

Still haven't done a single thing with my main ship, so I dunno how much ship control really is going to be a part of it...

Also, I really like the resources system: you set planets to export, import or store food/production points. Then, if you build transport ships and assign them to goods transport, they will act according to the needs. The more ships you have, the more transportation ends up happening. Of course, this probably means that you'll be able to camp the trade routes with your ship (in that sense it seems close to an RTS), trying to attack the enemy's transports. Some pretty nifty tactics might end up emerging if these are possibilities!

The reason this system is interesting is that you'll be hard put to find any very decent planes, so when you colonise something barren you'll have negative food production. You'd better have some planet set to export food, and transport ships to take food there so the population can survive. Plus, since there's very little population on the new planet, production is all allocated to food or so, so having production stuff shipped there allows you to get the first few buildings up :)

These are pretty nifty mechanics so far :) It feels maybe like a lightweight Distant Worlds, where there is a very visible impact on the trade routes and such. Looking forward to playing more of it, and seeing it evolve!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2013, 07:46:59 pm »

I had been considering to buy Distant World but the hefty price tags really put me off. This game on the other hand seems to be similar to DW, has sleeker graphics, and priced much more reasonably. Sold!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2013, 08:23:39 pm »

Well, it's mostly this little mechanic that reminded me of Distant Worlds - I'm not sure how deep this is going to go...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:10 pm »

Sold!
That's the point- it's not. Sold that is- anywhere.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2013, 08:29:20 pm »

Sold!
That's the point- it's not. Sold that is- anywhere.

I'm a little confused... You know this is on steam now ? And can also be bought through the main website.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:18 pm »

You know this is on steam now ?
I did not.
And can also be bought through the main website.
Nope. They had this to say when I tried:
StarDrive is not yet available for pre-order, and we have now ended our alpha-funding period at Desura. All Kickstarter backers and Desura alpha-funders will continue to have access to the in-development builds of the game as promised.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2013, 09:47:00 pm »

PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »

a1s I think that is because it has only just become open beta ? But you can buy it now from steam, desura and their main website ( I think ) you can defiantly get it on steam though :)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2013, 08:15:26 am »

So how is this game? I'd like to get it, but it's a bit expensive for me :( Would anyone be willing to trade Civ 5 and/or Torchlight for it?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2013, 08:28:03 am »

I'm interested in seeing how this spans out. Distant Worlds is excellent, but the price is unreasonable. Something like 90 bucks for the game with two expansions? Pft. Matrix Games have fallen off the sled with their pricing. Much sadness.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2013, 08:37:05 am »

So how is this game? I'd like to get it, but it's a bit expensive for me :( Would anyone be willing to trade Civ 5 and/or Torchlight for it?

Check your Steam
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2013, 08:38:21 am »

Check your Steam

By Odin's frosty beard, thank you! Is there anything you want in return?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2013, 08:45:17 am »

Just help someone else out when you have the chance. Here or elsewhere.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2013, 08:55:17 am »

I swear hemming is a secret millionaire or something :D

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:58 am »

No problem :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21